Here We Go Again! I need to build a Mule Deer Rifle

Some like to take on project to improve a 1.5 - 2 MOA rifle, and some just move on. I move on. I have never bought a used rifle due to a suspicion of potential problems. Don't compromise and rush into a new rifle for the upcoming hunt. Build exactly what you want. It will be ready for next years hunt.

Some like to take on project to improve a 1.5 - 2 MOA rifle, and some just move on. I move on. I have never bought a used rifle due to a suspicion of potential problems. Don't compromise and rush into a new rifle for the upcoming hunt. Build exactly what you want. It will be ready for next years hunt.
Can't a new rifle have problems just like a used one or custom built one? Until you fire it, how would you know?

Not trying to tell you how to buy but I have experienced both. Factory rifles being sent back to the factory as recently as Monday and a used rifle from a reviewed seller on LRH performing exactly as advertised…

Any rifle can have problems. I've been lucky for the most part. i just have heard the comment "it wouldn't shoot, so I sold it" too many times. If I do have problems, I would prefer to deal with the gunsmith or manufacturer. I'm not saying don't buy a used rifle as it can be good way to save $$ and you may get lucky. My main point was to take input from experienced and trusted resources and then get exactly what you want.

Any rifle can have problems. I've been lucky for the most part. i just have heard the comment "it wouldn't shoot, so I sold it" too many times. If I do have problems, I would prefer to deal with the gunsmith or manufacturer. I'm not saying don't buy a used rifle as it can be good way to save $$ and you may get lucky. My main point was to take input from experienced and trusted resources and then get exactly what you want.
You're right… percentages are much higher custom then factory then used. I might have been lucky with some quality sellers as well. I agree, Trust is key.

Nowadays with Precision actions, stocks, barrels and machining I can and have assemble my own custom rifle
Can't a new rifle have problems just like a used one or custom built one? Until you fire it, how would you know?

Not trying to tell you how to buy but I have experienced both. Factory rifles being sent back to the factory as recently as Monday and a used rifle from a reviewed seller on LRH performing exactly as advertised…
My 270 isn't for sale and I have numerous rifles that I have assembled myself that shoot lights out, I haven't built a bad one yet. I think my chances are better buying a brand new "bad" scope than a bad barrel or action. It is a long thread but the problem rifle is my first rifle that was built in 1957, given to me by my father 55 years ago and it would take quite a lot of money for me to part with it. It isn't a bad rifle it just has a problem I have not identified yet. It really doesn't make much difference because I have no shortage of rifles.

Lot of good choices...I'd recommend the 6.8 Western--I love mine, plenty of jack to 1000 yds and plenty for whatever walks the earth without stomping you in the dirt or requiring a dolly to carry around...But other good candidates: 7mm-08 (shot my last muley at 475 with it), 6.5 PRC .308, 280 Rem, or...just about anything that strikes your fancy and just about anything with 140+ gr bullet that leaves the barrel at 2800 fps with a long heavy for caliber, high BC bullet. Wouldn't go lower that 6.5 caliber though--just me.

Think you nailed it in your OP. 7mm-08 with 130 to140 grain bullets @ around 2900 should have mild recoil and perform. Factory ammo my be a little anemic, should be able to get decent velocity reloading for short barrel.

Elk with a 7 odd 8? Better be dead on in the engine room Every Single time with that caliber or you will be searching for a lot of wounded elk.
I've shot several Elk and a slew of plains game in Africa with the 7-08. I use 145 Barnes LRX and if I hit it, it falls down. I've never had to shoot anything twice. Can't believe folks are advocating for a 100 gr bullet in 6 CM but hating on the 7-08???

Yea man! Now we're talking!!!!
Here's the thing about the 277 Fury. 277 Bullets and 308 brass were considerably less impacted both in price and availability by our recent supply crunch than most other calibers, and dies are easily available for reloading. Personally, I'd go with both the Berger VLD 130 gr hunting, and the 130 gr. Sierra GameKing; both have respectable BCs. And if you need it, reamers are also available. BTW - don't be put off by the 2710 fps muzzle velocity for their hunting ammo. For their FMJ ammo they report for 16" (2750) and 24" (3000) barrels; so I suspect a shorter barrel was used for the hunting ammo.

Last edited:
Mine would be the 264WM which I have taken many White tail and Muley's also elk. bought mine in 1963. Most of the deer were taken with a 100gr HP at 3700fps with low recoil. Have loaded 160gr Woodleigh PPSN over 3200fps and every other bullet weight in 6.5.

I don't need 'roids I need the opposite, spine injuries make recoil a BIG factor
I have some spinal issues too. Each and every person deals with their own issues in their own ways. In my case I have a 7.62 Chicom bullet resting next to my spine for some 53 years now. I have also shrunk from 5'11" down to 5'7" inches which also contribute to spinal issues in regards to compression and nerves being damaged. I do understand but still able to shoot an ought 6 or 270 without much issue. 300WM or 7MM Rem different story. I just put some 60 rounds through my 270 out to 300 yards without issue the day before yesterday. Yesterday 40 rounds out of my 30-06. The 30-06 did cause some discomfort, not to the shoulder but to the back from getting down into position and dealing with the recoil. I want to try the 6.8 Western, and most likely will. I'm not a fan of Browning X bolts nor Winchester XPR's. The Winchester Model 70 is a possibility but are the new ones as good as my old 1970's versions? I guess the only way to find out is to save my pennies and get one, to compare quality as well as the 6.8 Western. I do like Ibuprofen. It's sometimes a Girl's best friend. o_O

If you reload, and you're looking at 400 yards and in with a short action and short barrel, I'd look at the Sherman wildcats. 6.5 SS or 7 SS will still get good velocity with a short barrel, and head stamped brass is available. Not your typical wildcat.

But as someone else pointed out, if the hunt is this year you may be using something you have in the safe now.

I took my 6mm because I didn't want to shoot a borrowed Magnum. I had two guides with me last year and after I made a 360 yd shot and dropped a 5x6 in it's tracks one commented that they expected they would be tracking a wounded deer all night.
Sounds like your guides suffer from Creedmoor derangement syndrome. You mentioned 25 creed and 6.5 creed, but somehow the 6 won't get it?

Take the 6 creed, enjoy the light recoil, kill the deer. Why are we over complicating this?