Here We Go Again! I need to build a Mule Deer Rifle

I know this subject is worn out but things are constantly changing and I want to hear from knowledgable shooters.
Last year I took a Mule Deer buck with a 6 Creed at a little over 350 yds because .270 got damaged. Deer dropped in its tracks with a shot through the shoulders. Guides kinda didn't like the idea but my other option was to shoot an unfamiliar, borrowed rifle, but that is another story.
I have an empty short action (bolt head isn't an issue) and was thinking about putting something together to shoot out to about 400. I was thinking about 7-08 but maybe I'm missing other options. I have also thought about 270 WSSM, but never shot one and recoil.....
Maybe experienced people can chime in with thoughts on something else or both. Recoil is a consideration, I hand load for several current and former wildcats but for this one, I can/will hand load but off shelf or internet ammo would be good.
Bullet selection, barrel twist etc suggestions welcome, short barrel is a plus, I do not want a 6.5 Creedmore!
Oh yea, going to same place this year!

I have three empty American Rifle Company SHORT actions and that is what I'm using!!!

Might of been covered in all the responses but why on earth didn't the guide like the idea of you using the 6?

I must have glazed over and got caught up in all the other people who did the same since there was so much talk of long action cartridges.

My 270 Sherman short is set up for what you are talking about. There is even room to throat it out more if you wanted.

Here is a 145 eldx
20230830_065553.jpg
If you are able to run a 2.990" mag box you can throat it more. Another option is shoot some lightweight mono's really fast and less recoil.

Yep. Got 1 on a short action, one on a long action and a 6.5-284 on a short action. Oh, and a 6-284 on a short action. Since you mentioned SAAMI, I would suggest that you look at the throat lead angle and know what you'll be getting without a custom reamer. I could write you a book here on the 284 and its variants, but I won't. I'd also look at load data and see what you'll gain as compared to a 7-08 as compared to the increase in expense. To get the extra performance out of a 284, you have to have a longer barrel to burn the extra powder, which it seems you really don't want. And yes, you can notice the difference in recoil. Remember the KISS method like I mentioned before.
It sounds like you should just build a 6.5 man bun, take your whoopin' and be happy. 😁

It seems some time ago a friend talked me into trading one of my high round count 6cm barrels for a 6.5 barrel....
Maybe I could get it engraved with something else and not let anybody see my ammo;))
A friend has seen my desperation and offered up his .25 creed barrel.
I'm seriously getting discouraged now, don't have time to do it right, work up load etc. unless I piece something together and go half-assed into it, which definitely isn't my way. Manners is four months out, cut rifle barrels a little less.
I know my 6mm will hit where it is supposed to and if it is either of same 2 guides that were with me last year I know they won't mind my puny little pop gun, they saw results. I haven't totally given up, gonna call distributor today and see if he has pretty much any of the recommendations made here.
I only got a spot on this hunt last year because one of the regulars' wife had serious illness, which is still the case and hence my invite again this year. There is no question that I would have started earlier had I known.
I'm close to getting on BST forum and try to trade one of these short actions for a long.

It seems some time ago a friend talked me into trading one of my high round count 6cm barrels for a 6.5 barrel....
Maybe I could get it engraved with something else and not let anybody see my ammo;))
I'm seriously getting discouraged now, don't have time to do it right, work up load etc. unless I piece something together and go half-assed into it, which definitely isn't my way. Manners is four months out, cut rifle barrels a little less.
I know my 6mm will hit where it is supposed to and if it is either of same 2 guides that were with me last year I know they won't mind my puny little pop gun, they saw results. I haven't totally given up, gonna call distributor today and see if he has pretty much any of the recommendations made here.
I only got a spot on this hunt last year because one of the regulars' wife had serious illness, which is still the case and hence my invite again this year. There is no question that I would have started earlier had I known.
I'm close to getting on BST forum and try to trade one of these short actions for a long.
I have a Remington 700 in 270 WSM with a threaded 22" barrel and a Triggertech installed on consignment at my LGS. I'd throw in the Bertram brass that I've fire formed in that rifle if you are interested in a quick solution?

Might of been covered in all the responses but why on earth didn't the guide like the idea of you using the 6?
I had a bad spill last year and ended up on top of my since retired for mechanical reasons, .270 in the rocks, I took my 6mm because I didn't want to shoot a borrowed Magnum. I had two guides with me last year and after I made a 360 yd shot and dropped a 5x6 in it's tracks one commented that they expected they would be tracking a wounded deer all night.
Who knows, I hadn't ever been up there and was just glad to be there and just kept my mouth shut.

Just did a load up with my 20" 308 and a 135gr Hammer at 3124 FPS. That is good for your 500+ range. Easy on the shoulder too.
Over 20 years ago I reached the end of the universe with .308 and a one hole Steyr SSG69, sold everything and just don't have any interest. It would be very hard to duplicate that rifle.

I must have glazed over and got caught up in all the other people who did the same since there was so much talk of long action cartridges.

My 270 Sherman short is set up for what you are talking about. There is even room to throat it out more if you wanted.

Here is a 145 eldx
View attachment 490005
If you are able to run a 2.990" mag box you can throat it more. Another option is shoot some lightweight mono's really fast and less recoil.
You still loving that 270SS? Such a neat little rifle/round combo you've got.

Sounds like you realize the easy button is to build a 6.5CM

I would love to get it shooting but after much time & expense just haven't been able to get 1MOA. 1957 J C Higgins, FN Mauser action with a newer Hart Barrel and McMillain stock, shoots better with old beat up glass bedded original wood stock it seems slightly better. It was my first rifle, stolen and missing for 20 years and recovered by my brother about 15 years ago, original barrel unsalvageable. Screw holes in receiver are not in the right spot. It is possible to get screws in two holes, and a third if you just get them started and then tighten. With the original barrel and scope mounts it shot great, with cheap ammo, .75 MOA or better. I would feel better shooting that than anything and may attempt to work up a load for it, but those screw holes really bother me. Just in the past couple of days been thinking about options.
Epoxy rail to receiver?????
I was not expecting to have another opportunity to go on this awesome hunt, truly a honey hole. Same guys going for 10-15 years.
I have been into very accurate rifles for my entire life and 1.5-2MOA is just no longer acceptable to me.

Sometimes just a few more thousandths clearance in the scope base holes will do the trick, but don't overdo it. I've seen where the screw holes actually get mashed where the head makes contact in the counterbore on the base. I wouldn't permanently epoxy it, but I would bed it to the action. Another route is to get 2 piece windage adjustable rings or if you know a machinist, get a pic rail made from a blank with the screw holes to match the receiver.

The 6 Creedmoor will be wonderful but I also vote for .308. Great for short action, lots of loads and bullets (factory and handload).
I used a 6mm Remington for Mule Deer for many years. My favorite deer bullet is the Nosler Partition 100gr. Not the flattest shooting but great terminal performance. I hunted some great areas, including the Jicarilla Apache Reservation. I found expansion/penetration with most other bullets was not as good. Key with any hunting is bullet placement. Caliber is #2

Well, you are going to hate it but Leupold must have gotten paid a lot of money cause they recommend a Mossberg in 6.5 manbun…

Is Fred wrong???

Recent Posts