Here We Go Again! I need to build a Mule Deer Rifle

From a hunter's point of view.
I own a lot of calibers, and several you mentioned. I am really infatuated with the 6.5 PRC, but, and I say but, there is something about the 270 wsm. I own 2 of them, one (a Montana) with a 24" barrel and the other (a HS Precision PHL) with a 22" barrel. I shoot 130 and 140 gr barnes tsx, ttsx, along with Nosler Accubonds out of both rifles and they both love them. There is really something special about this cartridge, I can't explain what it is, except like this. When shot, the animals react just like I used one of my magnums (300 win, wby, wsm, 28 nos, etc...) on them. That caliber hits harder than it should. I can't explain it. Out of all of the calibers I own, and in hunting situations, the 270 WSM has impressed me the most. I wish the 270 wsm was more popular.
This is just my 2 cents.

From a hunter's point of view.
I own a lot of calibers, and several you mentioned. I am really infatuated with the 6.5 PRC, but, and I say but, there is something about the 270 wsm. I own 2 of them, one (a Montana) with a 24" barrel and the other (a HS Precision PHL) with a 22" barrel. I shoot 130 and 140 gr barnes tsx, ttsx, along with Nosler Accubonds out of both rifles and they both love them. There is really something special about this cartridge, I can't explain what it is, except like this. When shot, the animals react just like I used one of my magnums (300 win, wby, wsm, 28 nos, etc...) on them. That caliber hits harder than it should. I can't explain it. Out of all of the calibers I own, and in hunting situations, the 270 WSM has impressed me the most. I wish the 270 wsm was more popular.
This is just my 2 cents.
I never have gotten into the WSM theater of operations so to speak, but love the heck out of the standard 270. Like you said of the WSM, hits harder and faster than one thinks it should. I mostly shoot hand loads with Nosler 130 or 140 gr bullets but Federal Premium ammo shoots as well as my handloads if I ever get in a pinch.

You sure you don't like 6.5 creedmoor lol

Attachments

• IMG_8875.jpeg
    IMG_8875.jpeg
    541 KB · Views: 38
I know this subject is worn out but things are constantly changing and I want to hear from knowledgable shooters.
Last year I took a Mule Deer buck with a 6 Creed at a little over 350 yds because .270 got damaged. Deer dropped in its tracks with a shot through the shoulders. Guides kinda didn't like the idea but my other option was to shoot an unfamiliar, borrowed rifle, but that is another story.
I have an empty short action (bolt head isn't an issue) and was thinking about putting something together to shoot out to about 400. I was thinking about 7-08 but maybe I'm missing other options. I have also thought about 270 WSSM, but never shot one and recoil.....
Maybe experienced people can chime in with thoughts on something else or both. Recoil is a consideration, I hand load for several current and former wildcats but for this one, I can/will hand load but off shelf or internet ammo would be good.
Bullet selection, barrel twist etc suggestions welcome, short barrel is a plus, I do not want a 6.5 Creedmore!
Oh yea, going to same place this year!

I have three empty American Rifle Company SHORT actions and that is what I'm using!!!
300 WSM pushing 165 to 180 boolit of your choice. Or, if you wanna get fancy, 7-300 WSM for the longer neck than 7 WSM.

I know this subject is worn out but things are constantly changing and I want to hear from knowledgable shooters.
Last year I took a Mule Deer buck with a 6 Creed at a little over 350 yds because .270 got damaged. Deer dropped in its tracks with a shot through the shoulders. Guides kinda didn't like the idea but my other option was to shoot an unfamiliar, borrowed rifle, but that is another story.
I have an empty short action (bolt head isn't an issue) and was thinking about putting something together to shoot out to about 400. I was thinking about 7-08 but maybe I'm missing other options. I have also thought about 270 WSSM, but never shot one and recoil.....
Maybe experienced people can chime in with thoughts on something else or both. Recoil is a consideration, I hand load for several current and former wildcats but for this one, I can/will hand load but off shelf or internet ammo would be good.
Bullet selection, barrel twist etc suggestions welcome, short barrel is a plus, I do not want a 6.5 Creedmore!

I have three empty American Rifle Company SHORT actions and that is what I'm using!!!
I have 5 ARC actions, and considering a 6th one, a long action Nucleus. Your hunting style seems similar to mine, and you seem to appreciate shorter barrels. That said, my recommendation is a 308 Win shooting a 150 gr Badlands Bulldozer-2 bullet (G1Of 0.515) loaded with 49 - 50 gr of Leverevolution to a COAL= 2.980 max, and a MV of 2950-3050 fps from a 20" 1:10 twist barrel. Within 600 yds you can comfortably take anything in North America, even the large bears, although I would try to be within 200 yds for the Bears. Bullet expansion is more reliable than any copper or lead core bullet out there, and penetration is simply superb, you are not likely to recover any bullet hitting even Elk at right angles, but quartering shots through the chest in my experience are the most lethal. I have used this package on African Plains Game, Pronghorn antelope and large (600 lbs+) Coastal Black Bear, as well as Mule Deer and Hogs. A 20" barrel lends itself nicely to a 5" suppressor which is quiet enough to avoid hearing protection while hunting. Recoil is mild, about that of a 20-28 ga shotgun. In a pinch, ammo can be bought anywhere.

7mm saum fits that bill so we'll for sure. Only thing I really don't like it in a short action cause of it restricts you from shooting the 180's efficiently.

A 6.5 saum or 6.5 prc with 140 elites would put their dobber in the dirt for sure also.
I Hunt with 139 Scenar out of my 65 PRC. It levels, dear

About three years ago I bought a 6.5 prc. It's a proof research ti model left handed. At the time I could not find brass or the powders I was looking for but since I had a 260 rem I had plenty of bullets. I finally got 18 once fired brass from a friend an loaded some 130 accubonds w 56.0 gr of H4831sc. Almost one hole!! Since then I've used same powder charge w buletts from 120-143 an all groups very good

spine injuries make recoil a BIG factor
Yet people keep recommending short mags 😂
We're talking deer, not elk. There's zero reason to subject yourself to anymore recoil than your 6cm (that you shoot quite well) produces. Hell, I'd take the 22 creed that you have and not bat an eye at it's abilities to drop a deer out to 500/600 yds if you do your part.

Yet people keep recommending short mags 😂
We're talking deer, not elk. There's zero reason to subject yourself to anymore recoil than your 6cm (that you shoot quite well) produces. Hell, I'd take the 22 creed that you have and not bat an eye at it's abilities to drop a deer out to 500/600 yds if you do your part.
My 20" 6.5 CM shooting 85gr Hammers gets 3402 fps at the muzzle. Not much recoil from that lightweight rifle and the deer I shot with it died quick.

An eld out of a 7mag is a fine choice, probably even an STW, but a 7-08 for elk? Not sure it would have the energy elk need. Some folks mention .22 caliber projectiles but where I am in the West you can't big game hunt with under a .243 dia bullet.
I never said a word about Elk hunting. That was all conjured up in this thread that's gone way off the tracks. I'm looking for .284 Winchester loads now. I wore out .308 Win. years ago and have no desire to revisit it. I have no interest in 6.5 Creed.