Here it is Ladies and Gentlemen! My Rem700

A04Goat

Ladies and Gents,

My Rem700 LR 7mm Mag.
Harris Bi-pod
Pictanny Rail
Vortex Billet Rings
SWFA 12x42 (im and very very impressed with the clarity at range with this rifle)

Think i'll be flipping the bipod around

I bought one of those Long Range in 7mm mag last year. I think the factory barrel shot better than the Shilen I put on it later!

It was putting 168 gr VLD's into a single hole at 100 with 70.4 gr Retumbo and jammed .005 - .007 into the lands. It isn't much worse than that now, all the shots will overlap a bit. But it was a finely made piece of equipment. You will be pleased!

Nice! pics of groups next.

I bought one of those Long Range in 7mm mag last year. I think the factory barrel shot better than the Shilen I put on it later!

It was putting 168 gr VLD's into a single hole at 100 with 70.4 gr Retumbo and jammed .005 - .007 into the lands. It isn't much worse than that now, all the shots will overlap a bit. But it was a finely made piece of equipment. You will be pleased!

Thanks guys!

Dont know when i'll get to a 100 yrd range, but i think im gonna take it down to the local place and atleast put some lead through to get a feel for it.

Punisher, thank you for that. I'll be sure to remember that when I start reloading.

That's impossible! Everyone knows Remington barrels suck and won't shoot... They're junk, Salvage is better! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously though... I have been looking into the same rifle in the same caliber just to have. How did you like the stock on it? I haven't had a chance to handle one yet.

The stock is a bell and Carleson m40. So non magnums don't need to be bedded with that aluminum bedding block. But, definitely glass bed with magnum actions. They go from good to great after that. It has worked on two in a row.

Go full bedding under front lug and the first three inches of barrel. I prefer to let the bedding compound get down inside the pillars and I put a release agent on the action screws. Also bed under the tang.

I do a lot of little mods to my shooting rigs, but the devil is in the details.

I'm curious, if the factory barrel shot that good, why did you replace it with Shilen or was the barrel all shot out when you put on the Shilen?

Shilen barrel is on my list to try. Thanks!

I'm curious, if the factory barrel shot that good, why did you replace it with Shilen or was the barrel all shot out when you put on the Shilen?

Shilen barrel is on my list to try. Thanks!

I Totally shot the barrel out on the factory. I shot a bunch of matches that first year. At 250 rounds per weekend, you start adding up quick!

I put the Shilen on in October, I have about 640 rounds down it. It is a good barrel, but I think I will try a new company called X-caliber this fall. I ordered a 6mm barrel from them and their lead time is almost nothing, and price is about 1/4 less than Shilen.

I am anxious to try it.

I won't just re barrel so I can feel like I have a custom rig, that factory barrel may shoot well, so I try them out first.

I won't just re barrel so I can feel like I have a custom rig, that factory barrel may shoot well, so I try them out first.

Same here. I'm willing to see if I have a diamond in the rough before dropping that $500-600 at the smith. So far, I've been pretty lucky with factory barrels. Only had one that wouldn't shoot from the get-go. 1 for 15 isn't too bad a percentage, if I say so myself. I'll take 94% positive results any day of the week. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.