Help with barrel order

Marble

I'm getting ready to call Hart and have them replace a barrel on a Mod 70 STW. It's slightly used, can't tell by looking at it, but it has had a scope on it and there were some marks indicating it had been shot. The gun belongs to my dad and I. I wanted to have it done as a thank you to him for being the best dad ever. He wants a 1000 yard gun, not that he would ever shoot competition, but just so he can do it easily and consistently. He is 64 and still makes it up the mountains each year.

So what I need help with is choosing the contour, twist and length. It will be used for hunting Elk primarily at high altitude. It needs to be packable. By that I mean not too heavy and not too long as it needs to fit in our scabbards. He already carries around a 300 RUM, 26" barrel with a brake and HS precision stock. It's heavy for a hunting gun if you were to compare it to other sporting guns.

I want to be able to shoot 160-180 grain bullets.

So I was thinking the following:

1. 26" length
2. shorten the throat a bit to shoot the 180s? Is this needed?
3. Heavier contour than stock. Not sure what number that is or if I should tell them what diameter I want.
4. Fluting by Hart is also a strong likelihood, since he likes flashy things like that. It would lighten it, but not much.
5. 1-9 twist?

I have the cash set aside now. So if I wait, I'll spend it. So I need to get this done in the next few weeks.
I may have to put a brake on it for him. We'll see.

Thanks guys!

I think you're exactly on track with the 26" length and 1:9 twist.

However, as for the contour, that is going to be a personal preference, but if it were mine, I would go with a Sendero/Rem Varmint contour, for less barrel whip.

However, there is a compromise you can make to get the strength, accuracy, and rigidity of a heavy barrel, and the weight of a sporter barrel for hiking those big mountains hunting elk... And that would be to call Christensen Arms and have them true it, and install a 26" 1:9 twist carbon fiber barrel on your action. Which, compared to a regular stainless barrel being installed by Hart or anyone else, the price is surprisingly competitive.

For what you are asking I would do a Hart 5 1/2 contour fluted 9 twist.
I like a longer barrel than some for the stw. 28 would be a good compromise. I run a 30 on mine and comfortably run 162s at 3325. If you have your own specs thought up already just tell Hart what you want. They will match a contour for you.

I was debating between the 28 and 26 length. I don't think it would make a difference in price really. I'm going to give Hart a call. See what they say.

I think you are on the right track.

1. 26-27" length
2. When you have it chambered, load a dummy round to 3.600 with a 168 or 180 or whatever to 3.600 COAL. Tell your smith to cut the throat so that the bullet is approx. .000-.010 off the lands at that COAL. This will give you the optimal seating depth with Bergers (most guns shoot the Berger well at that jump) that will run in a magazine and give you some life to let the throat wear out some.
3. Rem Sendero would be as heavy as I would go. I think a #5 fluted is optimal. #4 if you want to skim some more weight off.
4. Fluted for sure if its me. Looks cool like you said, saves some weight, adds a little stiffness. Mainly looks cool.
5. 1-9 will do good for everything you've stated as goals for this rifle.

I would personally add a brake and a threaded muzzle cap so you could run it either way you like.

Good luck with your build.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.