Scope Help

Blacktail

Guys I have a stw and been shooting 160 ABs to 3220 could probably push harder but its under .5 moa so i left it alone. its a hunting rig nto a bench set up. I had a 4.5-14x40 cds on it for a spell before swapping that to my 280 pack rifle. The stw is naked and been trying to decide on what scope to throw on her for hunting only. been eyeing vortex, zeiss and leopold. Was thinking about going to a 16x or maybe 18x. Any thoughts or experience with these or any other suggestion? Looking at max of 1000$. I know a lot of guys like vortex but seem a bit heavy and hard to get away from the leos. I was thinking teh varix6 in the leo in teh 3.5-18x44. thnx

I have one of these on mine...

Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50 Riflescope Up To 14% OFF VHS-4319 | Best Rated

But, when the money is there, I will be swapping on one of these, for dialing up easier...

Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50mm Riflescope Up To 14% OFF VHS-4325 | Best Rated

Hows it holding up under the 7mm stw recoil? track pretty accurate and at teh higher mag still pretty clear.? Hearing a lot of good things about vortex just havent pulled the trigger on one yet

Hows it holding up under the 7mm stw recoil? track pretty accurate and at teh higher mag still pretty clear.? Hearing a lot of good things about vortex just havent pulled the trigger on one yet

You should try one. The Vortex Vipers are some tough scopes. Mine is holding up perfectly after several hundred rounds. The tracking is spot-on, and it stays clear all the way through the magnification range.

I have quite a few Vortex optics. They build some great products for the money.

Awesome thanks. I may try the 4.5-18x44 HS-T..about 6 oz heavier then a vx6 but my gun is about 8.5 without scope anyway so wont be too bad

I just went through this on my new build. I had settled on the Z-5 and a hot deal came out on the VX-6 and I was able to get it for just under 1k.

Give the VX6 3-18x52 and VX6 4-24x52.

I've tried just about everything out there under 2,000.00 and I have settled on the 4-24x52.

I will probably eventually switch all of my long range rigs over to this scope.

It does exactly everything I want it to do at a very reasonable price and it's a very durable scope for it's weight class.

I really wanted the Vortex scopes to work well for me but 3 out of the 5 I owned all PST's in 4-16x50 or 6-24x50.

3 of the five mounted brand new would not hold zero and did not track true. One of the other two failed after about 200rds through the STW.

They were great about service/repair and turnaround time but for that kind of money a 60% failure rate right out of the box and 80% within two hundred rounds I just have no faith in their products anymore at all.

Nothing will blow a hunt like a scope that craps out on you twenty miles from the nearest gravel road.

I end up hunting a lot of places where it can take a full day or more just to get to a post office to send something off and would then have to make another trek just as long to pick it up when it's repaired and back and that can cost you five to seven days.

I used to say, "Stick with what works" but when it comes to scopes, I'm moving more to "stick to what works every time".

I've owned at least 20 Leupold scopes and I've only ever had to send back one for repair and I flat broke the objective lens dropping it and they still replaced it free of charge telling me that for some reason that shipment of lenses consitently developed a littl half moon crack half the size of a nickel right on the edge against the cope body.

The best warranty/repair service is the one you never need, and the next best is the one that goes far and above the bare minimum the one time you really need them.

Give the VX6 3-18x52 and VX6 4-24x52.

I've tried just about everything out there under 2,000.00 and I have settled on the 4-24x52.

I will probably eventually switch all of my long range rigs over to this scope.

It does exactly everything I want it to do at a very reasonable price and it's a very durable scope for it's weight class.

I really wanted the Vortex scopes to work well for me but 3 out of the 5 I owned all PST's in 4-16x50 or 6-24x50.

3 of the five mounted brand new would not hold zero and did not track true. One of the other two failed after about 200rds through the STW.

They were great about service/repair and turnaround time but for that kind of money a 60% failure rate right out of the box and 80% within two hundred rounds I just have no faith in their products anymore at all.

Nothing will blow a hunt like a scope that craps out on you twenty miles from the nearest gravel road.

I end up hunting a lot of places where it can take a full day or more just to get to a post office to send something off and would then have to make another trek just as long to pick it up when it's repaired and back and that can cost you five to seven days.

I used to say, "Stick with what works" but when it comes to scopes, I'm moving more to "stick to what works every time".

I've owned at least 20 Leupold scopes and I've only ever had to send back one for repair and I flat broke the objective lens dropping it and they still replaced it free of charge telling me that for some reason that shipment of lenses consitently developed a littl half moon crack half the size of a nickel right on the edge against the cope body.

The best warranty/repair service is the one you never need, and the next best is the one that goes far and above the bare minimum the one time you really need them.
X2 Love my new VX-6 4-18 on my STW, bought another one just for my competition 22 mainly for the purpose of cranking it like a windmill back and forth from 200 yds to 50 yrds and holds zero every time.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.