Help with a budget 500 yard rig please

Thanks Boyd. Question for you.... Based on all I have read everything seems to show a preferance towards .308 why is that? Ballistics seem to put the 30-06 10%-20% faster, harder, flatter. I am curious can you please fill me in. Again thanks in advance for your help.

Ranger,
I don't believe your gonna "FEEL" the difference between a 30-06 and the 7Mag. Did you ever consider a muzzle brake? I have a 300WBY that kicks like a .243 with the brake on. The '06 with a brake would be rather pleasant to shoot as long as you had some form of hearing protection............

I have a Rem 760 BDL game master in 30-06 and for some reason I can shoot it all day compared to the 7mm beating I recently stopped taking. I have considered the muzzle break but I am in a cost crisis and between rifle and scope I have to stay low$$. I think I would rather spend the break money on a better scope. any ideas? Thanks again

if you want to poke an elk at 500yds you cant go wrong with a remington sendero in 300 win mag. zero it at 300 and you can hold on their back at 500 and hit them in the heart--pretty simple

Boyd--no way i would loop a 308 towards an elk at 500yds. ive shot mine at 1k for $hits and giggles but i dont think it has enough poop left at 500 for elk. whittails no prob though.
JB

I'll say Luppy 6x-18x target if ya want to get out to 1k and stay under $400.oo . Boyd has one on his STW and it seems to be the ticket for a good scope vs. price combo. 6x may be a little to much magn. if your gonna be huntin up close and personal though.

JB,
.308 click to 500 from a 100yrd zero , put it on their cranium and lights out. Nothin but net!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shocked.gif

Not enough power from the 308 Win at 500 yards??????

1200 to 1500 Foot pounds of energy left with a 308 Win using the 168 Gr or 175 Gr MK bullets.

Plenty of killing power for an elk at only 500 yards.

About 37 1/4 Min clicks of elevation and good bye Mr. Elk at 500 yards.
Of course Butch likes those head shots.

Have seen 243 Wins kill elk in Colorado quite nicely at 250 and 350 yards.

Later
DC

Abn Rgr

go right below to classifieds and there is a rig that will work for what you want and guy is wanting to move it asap. That might mean deal time. He is asking $750 for M70 Laredo in 300 win mag with 4-16 Sightron scope. I had one and it would do about 12-14" at 1000 so I know it would work for 600.

Laredo has better stock and more weight than ABolt, so recoil should be better managebly. Also, if you reload, go on lower end of powder charges and 165 gr bullets vs. 200s. Can always add muzzle brake to help with recoil. Other than that 308 will work also.

Keep in mind that stock material and design configuration have a lot to to with felt recoil. Glass stocks will always feel less recoil vs wood given same design. large butt pads with good recoil pads (Deaccelerator) are best. Edwards recoil reducers in butt also help ($60 mercury or gas piston in butt that lessens recoil).

BH
(fellow Abn Rgr, winter class of 76)

[ 07-16-2003: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

Out to 500 yards there is'nt anything I would be scared to shoot except the big bears....The reason's I pick the .308 out to 500 yards are, it's accurate,easy to load for,lot's of good factory match stuff out there.And small in the recoil department..

.308 for elk at 500 yards?? What if its a big 5 or 6 point? You guys would go with it? I have a good theory for elk and bear hunters. It goes something like this. If you can shoot a magnum accurately, by all means take it and use it. Elk are big tuff critters as well as bears, I personally wouldn't use a .308 for elk at 500 yards but then again, those of you who suggested it know 10x more than I do. I would opt for at least the 30/06 in my opinion, as much as I dislike the cartridge to begin with, but I think it would be much better for elk at 500 yards. But actually in my mind, I dont think you should shoot at elk 500 yards unless you have a magnum, to many things could go wrong. There is not much recoil difference from 30/06 to 7 Mag, but like others said, it depends on quite a few things.

Anyways, I second the Leupold VX2, 6-18 Target. I have one on my 25/06 and bought one for my soon upcoming sendaro in .300 Win Mag. They are only $430 out of midway. Probly find them cheaper elsewhere, but midway has been good to us. They are real good scopes, clear, tracking is perfect everytime out to 600 yards as far as I can tell. 6-18 is power is perfect for my deer and elk hunting needs as the shots are LR no matter what the game I am after. I also have the older vx2 6-18 that I sent back to the factory to get the elevation knob installed for use on my Ruger Target 22-250. Real good all around scope for $430!

Anybody that knows me knows that I am bias twards the 308. My hunting load has 1700 #s of energy at 500 yards at elk altitude at 60 degrees F. It is also accurate enough at 500 yards to be put anywhere I want that bullet to go. Mass amounts of energy = nothing if it doesnt hit its mark. 1700#s is plenty to dispatch an elk, even a big Arizona bull. Have fun
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.