Help with a budget 500 yard rig please

Now to throw a stone into your pond.
300 WSM

It's impressive but for mass availability .308 does sound appealing. I was also under the impression that 30-06 and .308 are good until at around 800yds with reasonable energy, velocity, and accuracy.

First of all I want to say how great this forum is. I have been reading for a couple days now and you guys are awsome. Thank you. On to the business at hand: 15 years hunting up to 350 yard shots with success. Problem is I have little or no confidence past 400 yards. Just sold my 7mm mag Browning A-bolt tired of being sore. Can you guys point me in the right direction for a rifle and scope combo I can shoot Elk with up to 500 yards for under $900. I am looking at a Rem 700 in 30-06. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.Thanks a million guys

ArbrnRanger,if you want to stay with that budget check your local pawnshops great deals to be had!

I just looked at a Rem 700 in 30-06 with a Lupy 2-7 scope (if I remember right) $279.00 in good shape. Last week I got a Savage 110 in 7mm mag synth stock with a Burris scope for $239.00 out the door from the same one.

Is this a great country or what?

[ 07-17-2003: Message edited by: Texas ]

How about a Remington 721 in 30-06 with Bueller rings as a starter for $275 shipped. After that get Burris' Ballistic Plex 3X9 and shoot with confidence. I have it ready to go (the gun anyway)

I have a 308 in a Remington 700VLS. This gun works magic for me. Its easy to load for. There are few bullet/powder combinations that I would not take deer hunting. It is the most acurate over the counter gun I have ever bought in my life. It will kill deer without any reservation or hesitation. I think shot placement is the most important thing here.

Double lung'em and they don't go far!!

Gold

Welcome to Long Range Hunting. Being new here and this as your first post I'd guess that you sort of skipped over some of the "ground rules" section.

I'll refresh a few basic rules for you.

1. We don't discuss ethics.
2. This is the Long Range Hunting site, we discuss the techniques and methods to hunt critters Long Range and 500 yards certainly falls into that category.

You are welcome to continue posting but please refrain from questioning other hunters methods with regard to distance(s).

Also, perhaps you could rework your first post a bit.

IF you want a good rig with low recoil and do not want to spend alot a Weatherby Vangaurd in a 270 WSM has about the same recoil as a 30/06 with more punch. The stainless one sells for 499.99 and the blued one sells for 399.99

are you going to load or buy factory ammo? if so what bullet you plan on using? .308 is your best choice.

I used to think a 300WM would have a lot of recoil until I bought one and shot it for a while at the range. I find the recoil to be a lot more bark than bite if you know what I mean. Try saving your money on the brake and install a LimbSaver recoil pad they really work great! I have come to the conclusion that there is a big difference between actual recoil and percieved recoil. I think the name *Magnum* and the loud muzzle blast tend to give people the perception the rifle has big recoil before they ever fire it
smile.gif
. LimbSaver + ear plugs = pleasant shooting, in the field when shooting at a big Bull Elk you will never notice any recoil or hardly hear the shot!
wink.gif

I had a .300 Jarrett built several years ago because I wanted to reach out and touch them with authority! These big .30 mags are stompers, and perhaps a little overkill even at 500 yards. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a big bull at 500 with a .308 assuming a good broadside shot, but I'll admit that I do like a little more punch for the less than ideal angle at long range. If I were to build another elk specific rifle I would probably go with a 7mm mag, rem or wsm. I use a brake on my .300, and it greatly reduces recoil. I don't like recoil so I won't shoot a mag, even a 7mm, without a brake. Hey Gold, have you ever shot out at 500 yards? Once you start to get the hang of it you will see possibilities that once seemed unbelieveable. With the right set up, including a laser range finder, 500 yards is totally do-able. There is a wealth of info here. Avail yourself of it and then see what you think. Come into the fold, friend.

wink.gif

in this case, i would suggest a 30-06 or a 300 win. mag. i shoot a 7mm and it isn't much, if at all worse, than my 06. a Leupold scope would be good if don't mind spending a bit more for name-brand equipment. though I have killed elk with a .243, i don't think it, or the 270, have enough muscle to do sufficient damage at the ranges in question.

Since you don't like recoil, consider the 270/7mm WSM, 270 Win, 280 Rem, and spend the money on a decelerator or limbsaver recoil pad for the gun. The factory pads, for the most part, are awful.

I have killed elk out to your distances with 130 gr partitions from a 270 Win. They didn't seem to know it wouldn't do so. Hit soundly in the lungs and they die quickly. I am told the very big bulls are a little tougher, but they still can't live with a 2" hole in each lung.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.