Budget Build Help - Laminate or not?

If the ADL stock, is anything like the SPS stock it would take pounds of Devcon to bed it properly :) If having a slightly bigger barrel channel is not an issue, look around the net, I regularly see H&S sendero takeoffs for < $200. I bought one for my build for $130. Besides, when he decides that he wants to shoot 1000yds, and he will, he will be able to put in a proper barrel :) just my $.02

If the ADL stock, is anything like the SPS stock it would take pounds of Devcon to bed it properly :) If having a slightly bigger barrel channel is not an issue, look around the net, I regularly see H&S sendero takeoffs for < $200. I bought one for my build for $130. Besides, when he decides that he wants to shoot 1000yds, and he will, he will be able to put in a proper barrel :) just my $.02

Thanks Pinche Gil lol. Yeah the ADL stock is exactly like the SPS stock (same material anyways). The only problem with the take-offs is having to convert to a BDL and buy BDL bottom metal. That's an extra $80-110. As for the wider barrel channel, going to a larger contour is definitely in the plans down the road. So getting a stock set up for Varmint/Sendero etc contour barrels is fine. The thing about those take-offs too is you better be the 1st guy to see em listed. They go FAST!

Built a hunting rifle for my son with a Savage 110 action, ER Shaw barrel kit (from Brownells) and Boyd Lightweight Varmint Thumbhole stock. The Boyd stock was dead on. I had to remove material to make space for bedding compound.

Awesome good to know. How big would you say the grip/palm swell on the thumbhole stock is? Sm/Med/Lg? My kid wears a medium Adult glove.

My son was about the same when I built the Savage for him. I'd call it between small and medium. Comfortable but I'd find a gun shop with a thumbhole stock for him to test. I love the way it feel and the overall stock is very light. My only concern is removing your thumb in quick order to cycle the action to chamber another round. You have to pull your thumb out before you reach forward to secure the bolt. With a young hunter, that can be a positive or negative.

I would have to agree with others on the viper vortex scope for $279.00 have used 3 of them on diffrent builds and all have been dead on and very reapeatable, my son has shot out to 1200 yrds with this scope with no problems great scope in that price range. as for the stock I think the boyds featherlight thumbhole is a good choice with your budget in mind, I built my son a semi custom on that stock and it works great, as for the action dropping in I have done 4 boyds, three thumbholes and one sporter all have fitt well, infact they have all worked with a lot less effort than the 3 manners that I have used, I would recomend pillar bedding for the boyds and it is a great choice for the money. my son is only about 5'6" and has no trouble with the grip, the featherlight is more hollowed out in front of the thumbhole and makes it more comfortable for your fore arm, your wrist goes in a natural postion rather than having to bend as much as the stocks that I have seen from stockeys. Just my 2 cents good luck on your decsion

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.