1st Rifle Build...Help with details please.

7mmaniac

I was referred to this site by a fellow on a different site I have been on for years. I've struggled trying to gather (user) info on long range rifle details, not bench guns.
I'm looking to build a full custom long range hunting rifle that performs like a bench gun, relatively speaking. Have been shooting out to 500 for several years with tuned factory rigs. I want to make sure that I make well informed decisions that will compliment my shooting/hunting style. From what I can tell, this site is overflowing with knowledgable LR builders/shooters.
I will tell you what I want, hopefully you will enlighten me as to what I need. I'm looking to build a true long range hunting rifle, out to 800 yards. I will shoot it year round on my range. I love to tinker with handloads and try new components. I want it light enough that it's functional as a hunting rifle. It will be used from 'shooting houses' on pipeline right of ways. 10 pounds or so all up. One of the various 7mm's (7RM, STW) will be chosen. Barrel in the 27" range. Stiller action, McM stock, Krieger barrel, resprung 700 trigger.
1) Actions - I'm LEFT-HANDED. Stiller Predator or TAC comes in Lefty. Is Stiller my only choice? I've heard the Predator wasn't exactly a true long range action, just a real nice all around unit. Is the TAC300 a better choice.
2) Stock- HTG design like M40A1.
3) Barrel- Krieger SS at 27", #5 straight, 6 or 7 fluted?
4) Do I need a 20 moa base or not?
5) Which rings?
6) Scope is undecided.

I'm not sure how much rifle you ACTUALLY need to shoot long, I know the heavier the better but where is the middle ground. My two long range shooters I've been using are in the 9-10 pound range.

I know that's a lot of info but I'll take what you throw at me.

Thanks, Tim

Hmm lets see on of the first Predators was used by Jason Baney in PA with a 6mm BR to shoot two 4" ten shot groups back to back at 1000 and win the PA world in heavy gun 2 yrs ago.

His gun was a super light Light Gun also. They are tighter than a standard Rem and thousands of LR rigs have been built with them.

Either go with the Predator or TAC 30O. $100 difference in price.

OK on the Krieger for sure. If weight is issue, go with fluted. Decide on contour last after you have decided on stock, rings, and scope and what you want the final weight to be. Right now you are in the ball park depending on other components.

Yes on the 20 MOA base. Order it with the action. Order the heavy lug and fluted bolt, both are about $75 total.

You can spend $150 or more on rings if you want big name, or you can spend $65 on TSR which are very good and just as reliable. Look at all of them at Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools and make your choice. they also have a lot of stocks.

9-10 lbs for the gun is fine if put together correctly and good components.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.