Help with a 300Rum in 700 sps stainless

Newbweatherby

well again my sons surprised me my faithful Remington 700 in 300 weatherby after 27 plus years finally took it last breath about 2 &1/2 months ago so i sold all my belonings short of my kids to get the Remington 700 sps stainless model and they surprised me today any how long story short ,i noticed the synthetic stock forend is not free floated !?So my question is does it have to be with a synthetic stock with no swelling or shrinkage to impact change in aim point. All my wood stockes riffles i trimmed and free floated barrell and accuglassed the action do i need to do the same with remington t synthetic stock.thank for valuable input next i need to mount my scope on it

Last edited:
Not easy to follow your post. Did you read it before you sent it?

I think you are asking about floating a sythentic stock. Yes floating the barrel would be a good idea. IMO get rid of the stock. If money is an issue get a boyd's laminate and bed it.

Your rifle will shoot better free floated. Plastic stocks dont hold epoxy bedding well. It eventually breaks out. Pick up a new stock.

A friend installed pillars and bedded his spa stock, followed by laying in fibreglass to stiffen the fore end, never really worked, he replaced it with a hs precision stock and gun shoots consistent sub Moa at a repeatable poi

Not easy to follow your post. Did you read it before you sent it?

I think you are asking about floating a sythentic stock. Yes floating the barrel would be a good idea. IMO get rid of the stock. If money is an issue get a boyd's laminate and bed it.

What AZ said. Floating should improve accuracy a bit, but a bedded solid stock such as laminate, walnut, or carbon fiber will result in much greater accuracy. Hope we are responding to the correct issue. Would like to see you repost to clarify.

What AZ said. Floating should improve accuracy a bit, but a bedded solid stock such as laminate, walnut, or carbon fiber will result in much greater accuracy. Hope we are responding to the correct issue. Would like to see you repost to clarify.
yes thank you all and i did try to edit before sending post and for some reason i couldn't .I know how free float the barrel iam just surprised this did not come from factory free floated

Last edited:
Is the stock a Remington Plastic Stock? You might as well bite the bullet, and replace the stock. Last summer I bought a 700 varmit barreled 223 Rem. Cabela's sale gun with a mail in rebate. It had a factory plastic stock. I fought the stock, cut the 2 little lumps out of the forearm, shimmed the action up to get full free float. On warm day the stock would flex on the bench and touch the barrel. "I bit the bullet", Bought a H&S Stock and even bedded the barrel to the aluminum block. I am a "Happy Camper" now. 1/2" groups with a load I developed.
I have a 338 WM That started as an 700 SS, Replaced the factory plastic, With H&S Precision stock. The rifle felt kick is less, I think the stock flexed and let the rifle get a running lick at my shoulder. Good Luck on this project.

Last edited:
Virtually any after market stock is made for the 700, just google it and check them out.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.