300rum sendero help

montanaio17

I have been having problems with my sendero. After I fire a round the neck on the case is bent on one side. Is this normal, my accuracy is poor. It has a new shilen barrel installed and has been glass bedded as well as trigger work done. New to longrange hunting info would be appriciated. Thanks..

I have been having problems with my sendero. After I fire a round the neck on the case is bent on one side. Is this normal, my accuracy is poor. It has a new shilen barrel installed and has been glass bedded as well as trigger work done. New to longrange hunting info would be appriciated. Thanks..

It's not normal.

You need to speak with the smith that installed the Shilen barrel.

He should stand behind his work and correct the problem.

The real question is whether there's an issue with the chamber or the feeding/ejection. But, we'd only be guessing without examining the cartridges and rifle.

-- richard

It is common for the case neck to get bent during ejection. Take a clean resized case and chamber it, raise the bolt and pull it back slowly until you can see the case appear in the ejection port. Push in slightly on the case as you slowly pull back until the case clears the front of the ejection port. I would just about bet the farm your case will be in prestine condition. The bending is occuring during ejection as the case mouth clears the chamber and is flipped into the action just in front of the port. If this is causing the bent neck it has absolutely nothing to do with accuracy as long as they are resized and expanded between each successive firing.

It is too much tension on the ejector spring, just take it out and cut 1 turn off at a time till it doesn't do it any more.
Tarey

Thanks for the help. Here is everything I have done with the gun. When I first got the gun I had to replace the ejector with a sako ejector. I had it glass bedded and trigger job. It shot great for several years. I was shooting out to 1000 yards on a metal target. Last year the accuracy went away plus 1.5 groups where it used to shoot .5 or better at 100 yards. Took the gun in and was advised the throat was burnt. The gunsmith set it back and said to try it. It shot great again for a while and then became inconsistant again. Had the smith replace the barrel with a Shilen barrel. Cold bore shot is always over an inch high then it will settle down and start grouping decent with the best loads. I hunt and like to target shoot. I want a gun that shoots consistant and not have to always adjust the first shot. I do reload and that is the first thing I thought was wrong. I bought new dies and brass tried different bullets and different powders. I don't think it would be the problem, I believe it is the gun. I do reload for a friend and no problems. I know you don't always get good barrels but is there any thing I am missing. I use a leupold scope that I have used on other guns with no problems. I know this is long but I would like to figure out my options. I know I may have to get another barrel but would rather try and make it work. I will try the above advice also. Thanks

There is a difference between the extractor which you had replaced with a sako and the ejector which is the round pin that kicks the case out of the receiver, that spring is too strong and is making a flat spot on your case neck when you are extracting the case. Cut some off of that spring.
You could always have it recrowned before rebarreling it.
Tarey

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.