Help! talk me down! Remington 700 SPS Stainless Bolt Action Centerfire Rifle 30.06

Range Report: I have taken the Rem 700 SPS SS to the range one time. I shot Hornaday 150-grain whitetail and 178-grain ELDX. I will let you draw your own conclusions about the group size. The whitetail was a 3-shot group. The ELDX was a 5 shot group. I used the Whitetail to get sighted in. So far I am very pleased with the accuracy potential. I am surprised at the groups since the stock is not free floated and the trigger is just okay. Mine has the X mark trigger, not the Timney. I have unscrewed the external adjustment screw about as far as I can without taking it out completely. I don't hate the stock, but it is just a plastic stock. It feels just fine. I like the light weight and the recoil is not bad at all. It has a thick recoil pad. I will likely replace it in the future.

If any of you have any suggestions for improving the X-mark externally adjustable trigger, let me know. It is not horrible but it does have some creep, and I would gustimate it is still over 3lbs.

I put a 3x9 Zeiss Conquest on it for now. It was on a Rem 700 LSS 257 wby. mag that I never shoot. I plan to put a different scope on it eventually. I would like to take it to long ranges.

I hope this helps some of you who are wondering about the post-banruptcy Remingtons. This is my second Remington 700 5r barrel and they both shoot great, so far. The other one is a heavy-barrelled 308.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 1.03.14 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 1.03.14 PM.png
    428.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 1.03.02 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 1.03.02 PM.png
    452.8 KB · Views: 39
I have a chance to buy one of these "Remington 700 SPS Stainless Bolt Action Centerfire Rifle 30.06" for $676. I am having a weak moment! It has 5r rifling and endless customization possibilities. The biggest negative is it does not have a threaded muzzle.

Does anyone have have recent Remington 700 SPS? Am I about to make a big mistake? Would I be better off with Bergara B14?

TIA
Is it a Remington SPS if is I would not touch it. If it is a Remarms SPS buy it in a heartbeat and please let us know how it works out?

Question, Just hit me. Are the new Remarms stamped as a Remington or a Remarms? I like Remington until early 2000's and had trouble with several SPS, with no assistance at all from Remington other than to say they checked and nothing was wrong. Not touched a new one since then.

Question, Just hit me. Are the new Remarms stamped as a Remington or a Remarms? I like Remington until early 2000's and had trouble with several SPS, with no assistance at all from Remington other than to say they checked and nothing was wrong. Not touched a new one since then.
I am not sure. I think it is still stamped Remington. But I will check when I get home. It does not have 416 stainless or 5r on the barrel, but they advertise that the SPS SS are both 416 stainless and 5r rifling. So I contacted Remarms, and provided them with my serial number. They confirmed mine is 416 stainless, 5r, and was manufactured in may of 2023.

To improve the trigger, get a trigger pull spring from erniethegunsmith.com. It will make a BIG difference!
So I am wondering/assuming that many on here are talking about pre ******* and post *******
Remington.
1) So they are producing Rem 700s again?
2) The OP said he adjusted his trigger down. New style of trigger?
Reason I ask the 2nd question is that my daughter has a 25-06 in said stainless version
from about 6 years ago. It was on 7 lbs and was "supposed" to adjust but it was hard set on 7 lbs and would not move. I triggerteched it. OH MY GOSH I love that trigger!

The op has, and your daughter probably had, the X-Mark Pro trigger that Remington was making pre bankruptcy. It is not a bad factory trigger, but it will not go down below about 3.5-4 pounds. They has an adjustment screw on the trigger that allowed adjustment without removing the stock.

The op has, and your daughter probably had, the X-Mark Pro trigger that Remington was making pre bankruptcy. It is not a bad factory trigger, but it will not go down below about 3.5-4 pounds. They has an adjustment screw on the trigger that allowed adjustment without removing the stock.
Yes that is it. It would not adjust at all. So everyone on here recommended aftermarket and triggertech was on sale. SO GLAD I gave one a try. Now I hate all my factory triggers after shooting that roller sear. Breaks like glass!

You are exactly correct. Starting in June or July of 2023 Remington started using the Timney triggers. Mine is the new manufacture (May 2023) But it has an externally adjustable X-mark trigger.

Last edited:
I have a REM 700 SPS 30-06 that I purchased new in late 2021 if I remember correctly. It's an actual Remington RR prefix.

It has a 24" barrel and I've changed out the stock to a laminated gray that I pillared and bedded. Also replaced the trigger with a Jewell and floated the barrel. It now shoots very well with H4350 and a Nosler 165 AB. I plan to try some other bullets in it soon.

I'm glad I made the purchase.

Edit: added photo showing post modifications.

Attachments

• IMG_0299.jpeg
    IMG_0299.jpeg
    495.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
So I am wondering/assuming that many on here are talking about pre ******* and post *******
Remington.
1) So they are producing Rem 700s again?
2) The OP said he adjusted his trigger down. New style of trigger?
Reason I ask the 2nd question is that my daughter has a 25-06 in said stainless version
from about 6 years ago. It was on 7 lbs and was "supposed" to adjust but it was hard set on 7 lbs and would not move. I triggerteched it. OH MY GOSH I love that trigger!
Yes that is it. It would not adjust at all. So everyone on here recommended aftermarket and triggertech was on sale. SO GLAD I gave one a try. Now I hate all my factory triggers after shooting that roller sear. Breaks like glass!

I have a REM 700 SPS 30-06 that I purchased new in late 2021 if I remember correctly. It's an actual Remington RR prefix.

It has a 24" barrel and I've changed out the stock to a laminated gray that I pillared and bedded. Also replaced the trigger with a Jewell and floated the barrel. It now shoots very well with H4350 and a Nosler 165 AB. I plan to try some other bullets in it soon.

I'm glad I made the purchase.
I haven't started reloading yet. But that sounds like a great load.

I am not sure. I think it is still stamped Remington. But I will check when I get home. It does not have 416 stainless or 5r on the barrel, but they advertise that the SPS SS are both 416 stainless and 5r rifling. So I contacted Remarms, and provided them with my serial number. They confirmed mine is 416 stainless, 5r, and was manufactured in may of 2023.
I confirmed mine is stamped with Remington on the barrel.