Help with 308 load

Oklahunter1

I am in need of guidance from the experts! I have been trying to work up a load for my 308 and am not having any luck. I have tried 165 gr nosler partitions, 180 gr accubonds and 150 gr hornady sst. I have tried IMR-4064 and varget with loads from 43 gr to 45 gr of powders. I have varied the bullet length from 2.85"(which is max due to magazine length) to 2.735". I basically get the same type of group from every load I've tried. Also, changed scopes to make sure that wasn't the problem. The group I get every time is 2 shots close to gather and 1 shot 1.5"-2.5" away from the other 2. The odd shot is never the same one. I have tried 3 different factory loads and this doesn't happen with them. I haven't gotten good groups with them either. Best is a 1.5" group with Hornady Whitetail 150 gr. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated!!

Here is the last I shot. It's a Mossberg Patriot. I've checked the torque on the screws and checked to be sure barrel is free.

Attachments

• 44C4636E-03AE-4934-95CA-5FCDCB6D2CFA.jpeg
    44C4636E-03AE-4934-95CA-5FCDCB6D2CFA.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 49
Here is the last I shot. It's a Mossberg Patriot. I've checked the torque on the screws and checked to be sure barrel is free.
You could check the crown with a q-tip to make sure there aren't any burrs. To me that looks like a bedding issue. How much are you torquing too? It's just a tupperware stock right?

Also what range do hunt at? I have a Winchester 30-06 that shoots about 1.5" at 100 yards. One day I shot it at 300 yards and again it shoots 1.5" groups. So I suggest shoot out to distances you will hunt at to see how it groups.

OP, You are on the right track with 4064 and Varget, both excellent powders for the 308.
I would suggest having the rifle glass bedded or do it yourself. You should be able to get a little better groups, although the Mossberg isn't known to give stellar accuracy. Good luck

OP, You are on the right track with 4064 and Varget, both excellent powders for the 308.
I would suggest having the rifle glass bedded or do it yourself. You should be able to get a little better groups, although the Mossberg isn't known to give stellar accuracy. Good luck
Understand. Was just hoping for at least a 1" group as I can have shots of 400yds.

A laminated stock I'd do a bedding job. Not to go against Gary but there have been some good reports on Mossberg's accuracy. I'd shoot it as is out to 400 yards to see how it does first. Then decide whether to do a bedding job.

The 30-06 I have has a Leupold VariXIII 2.5-8 fixed parallax. Like I said that rifle shoots about 1.5" at 100 yards and also at 300 yards. I hit small water bottles at 400 yards with it pretty consistently. One thought is the bullets didn't stabilize fully at 100 yards. Another thought is it's a parallax issue. If you have some ammo handy I'd just try it out to 300 and 400 yards.