Help with .308 Load SMK not expanding.

I've used an ar-10 and 150 gr smk bullets for a long time
With good luck. It seems about a third of the time the bullet does not retain but 2/3 of its original mass though. The front portion and most of the jacket will separate.

Ive had the same experience with SMKs in my .308. Poor, poor expansion. I would switch to Sierra Game Kings. I use factory federal 165 grain SGKs in my .308 and 142 SGKs in my .260 with awesome results! Right around .75 MOA in my rhino arms AR10 and .50 in my custom remington 700 .260.

I really don't understand this, you are saying that a bullet isn't expanding. The bullet isn't designed to expand, its a match bullet. They will still kill critters but that isn't their purpose.

I really don't understand this, you are saying that a bullet isn't expanding. The bullet isn't designed to expand, its a match bullet. They will still kill critters but that isn't their purpose.

I understand where the OP is coming from. There are a lot of threads on here about the SMK when it does expand. It's absolutely brutal. It does baseball sized exit holes when it does expand. The cases where the bullet disrupts like that are when it strikes bones before entering the body cavity. If you dont strike anything hard it will just pencil through. I agree with your statement though. Its not designed to do that. Thats just what happens with the SMK if it is disrupted enough as it passed through the target. Its the exception more than the rule.

has anyone mentioned using a bullet designed for game and not targets? anyway, I use a 110 or 120gr ttsx in my 308 ar and 300BO. the bullet gets good velocity out of short barrels and kills very effectively. those light barnes coppers are made for the lower speed that the blackout generates, so they work good for the range you're dealing with.

has anyone mentioned using a bullet designed for game and not targets? anyway, I use a 110 or 120gr ttsx in my 308 ar and 300BO. the bullet gets good velocity out of short barrels and kills very effectively. those light barnes coppers are made for the lower speed that the blackout generates, so they work good for the range you're dealing with.

Yeah I recommended Sierra Game Kings. I had similar accuracy results between the SGK and SMKs.

The SMK bullets are a hit and miss proposition, they sometimes function like a regular HP, shatter and fragment, blow up like a varmint bullet, pin hole and tumble, even break into several chunks and buzz saw against each other.

I have used the 180 SMK (old style and new style) in the 7.62N for years, in my experience it works well, but..I am aware of it's shortcomings and will attempt to place the bullets where experience, tells me they will work, the downside will be a lot of bloodshot meat and bone and bullet fragmenting. As far as numbers I am well into the hundreds for deer size game (80 - 400 lbs), given that I have worked in quite a few culling operations over the years

The Game kings are the better option if Sierra is your favoured brand, Hornady has a few options and there are other options including premiums.

Al, SMK.....Sierra "Match" King! The key word here is "Match". Match Bullets are notorious for erratic performance when used on game!
You got a good deal on match/practice bullets.....use accordingly! memtb

I understand that many folks use Sierra Matchkings for hunting. But, Sierra says: "Not intended for Hunting purposes"!!!!!!!! I'd switch to a Hunting bullet.... AKA, GameKing, Accubond, Etc....... Use the Matchkings for 'targets'..... Just my $0.02 worth.
Good Luck, Idaho-5R

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.