Help with 308 load

If you can get a box, I'd run 168gn Federal Gold Medal Match (FGGM) ammo through it. 10 before any work you do, then 10 again after. It's a solid standard in 308 Win ammo to rely on in terms of it should work because it pretty much always works. If it doesn't work... that's not great news for the rifle.

You could also try to get very aggressive with cleaning the barrel to make sure there's not a restriction or something in it. I use VFG pellets, JB Bore Paste, and Kroil oil to get barrels completely cleaned out of everything, and can even polish off minor marks in the bore. The BLUE paste, the red paste too aggressive to start with.

Tubbs makes the Final Finish kit, since you handload you can run some of the finer grit bullets through to see if that smooths out the bore any also:

There are several options for "at home" barrel crowning. I'm not going to recommend one specifically because I haven't done it myself. But in general it should be hard to mess it up to the point it makes the rifle shoot worse than it is. I would do this after working on the bore as a last resort.

I see that the Patriot is a 10 twist. I have had a bunch of 308's with 10 twist that will only shoot the 168/165 range or heavier. They shoot nothing in the 150 range worth a ****. I've seen tons of information to the contrary, but I could get almost an inch and nothing better. I tried lots of bullets and powders. I would then put factory Federal fusion 165 loads into half an inch. I got sick of beating my head against a wall and burning components.

I agree with Varget and 4064 being the right powder.
If your factory loads print an acceptable 1.5" group and your reloads have 2 close and one flyer...Is it always the 3rd shot? Or is it a random?
As said before, charge weight, neck tension and seating depth consistency should fix your issue...and/or perhaps a bedding job. I have many rifles without bedding that shoot very well...in fact, very few are...but all are free floated.

FWIW... I've tried the Mossberg MVP 308 with a nice laminated stock and fluted barrel, and as much as I wanted it to shoot well, 1 - 1.5 moa was the best I could get.

I have an old Savage 99 that would not shoot under 1.75 inch groups with 4064 or 4895, and they were usually 2" groups. I had about a half a pound of H380, so I tried it. It shoots consistent 3/4" to 1" groups with that powder. That is with 150 grain bullets. I don't shoot past 250 yards with the lever action, so it works well for me.

If you can get a box, I'd run 168gn Federal Gold Medal Match (FGGM) ammo through it. 10 before any work you do, then 10 again after. It's a solid standard in 308 Win ammo to rely on in terms of it should work because it pretty much always works. If it doesn't work... that's not great news for the rifle.
I also agree with Quiet Texan .
Try to locate and buy the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo to use for accuracy testing .

If you can get 2 boxes , I would run a 10 shot test grouping , otherwise I would suggest 5 shots , that way you will have 15 remaining for usage after possibly making changes to bedding ... etc.

I appreciate everyone's replies. I'll try finding that ammo and trying it first. If that fails I'll try bedding it. If I ever find a solution I'll let everyone know.
Thanks Again!

Did you shoot the 180 Accubond from 43-46gr of IMR 4064?
I think you are a touch hot. The Fed GMM 175 is at 41.5gr charge weight. The M118 is at 41.75gr.

If so, I would reduce. and load it at 41.5gr 2.800" COAL and send it. See how it does. I have found with my current 308, it prefers to the lower end of the charge weights for accuracy and consistency.

As mentioned, if you can find some FGMM in 168gr or 175gr (preferred), this will be a tell.

43gr is their max with a 180gr pill. 44.5gr with a 165gr pill.

Everybody likes speed, but without accuracy, you are left with a 100 yard gun.

Last edited:
I use IMR4064 in my 308Win with 165 Speer BTSP bullets, but anything above 41.5 grains (which gives very good accuracy) starts looking like a shotgun pattern. I have read and heard other reloaders sing praises for Varget, but have never found any accuracy in cartridge I have tried it in. My 41.5 grain load of 4064 gives 2450 ft/sec, which I have shot out to 500 meters hitting steel targets without a miss.

How long are you waiting between shots? If the barrel gets hot, the groups will start to open up. Clean the rifle good, then shoot it again. Allow at least one minute between each shot, and 5 minutes between groups.

I use IMR4064 in my 308Win with 165 Speer BTSP bullets, but anything above 41.5 grains (which gives very good accuracy) starts looking like a shotgun pattern. I have read and heard other reloaders sing praises for Varget, but have never found any accuracy in cartridge I have tried it in. My 41.5 grain load of 4064 gives 2450 ft/sec, which I have shot out to 500 meters hitting steel targets without a miss.
BOOM!

20" barrel???

I would try the tubbs fire polish bullets. You are not the first person to have this issue with Mossberg a lot has been sent back to them good luck

Do you have a good crisp trigger with no creep?

What power are you shooting with the scope?

How big are the reticle lines?

Is scope level to gun and are you holing it level?

Shooting of bipod and rear bag?