Help on scope maxing out elev at 100yds

Jpterry

Need some help on a new setup please. Bought a new Sako Classic in 6.5swede for my long range deer hunting with a Swarovski Z5 using optilocks low mounts. I've scoped a lot of rifles over the years and this is first one I maxed out eleveation at 100yds at only 1.5" high of center. The Optilock lows have the bottom of scope about 1/2" above barrel which is about as high as I would like it to be. My plan was to set zero at 200yds which is 2" high at 100yds.

Good news is the Sako is tack driver with 140 VLDs...5 shots in 1/2" at 100. Any idea why this scope is maxing out so quick at 100yds? Is it bad for longer range accuracy to have scoped elevation maxed out at 100yds?

From what I understand, going to a higher base would only give me the extra height of base at 100yds...ex: raising rings up another 1/4" would only give me another 1/4" elevation at 100yds.

Something sounds off. What scope?

I have no experience with Sakos or these mounts. But in general, I'd disassemble and inspect everything to see if something is assembled incorrectly and using up your elevation. If you can't find a fault, you could go with a 20 MOA base and/or Burris Signature rings using the offset inserts to give you more travel.

What are you using for a base for those pitilock low mounts?

Yep, that's the key. If OP is using factory base, he's stuck with the optilocks, which by the way are awesome rings. I have them on my SAKO M995 in .300 ... one of these days, I'll have an after market picatinny rail drilled and tapped on it.

jpterry, I had a similar issue with a salvage(Savage :D), when using an inexpensive scope with very limited adjustment. I mik'd the rings for height, to make certain that they were not switched( they were interchangeable, but had same deminsions). Never could figure it out, finially went with a 20 moa base (which I was gonna do anyway). Problem solved! After getting rich and famous :D , bought a scope with much more adjustment. Life is much more better!!!! memtb

Need some help on a new setup please. Bought a new Sako Classic in 6.5swede for my long range deer hunting with a Swarovski Z5 using optilocks low mounts. I've scoped a lot of rifles over the years and this is first one I maxed out eleveation at 100yds at only 1.5" high of center. The Optilock lows have the bottom of scope about 1/2" above barrel which is about as high as I would like it to be. My plan was to set zero at 200yds which is 2" high at 100yds.

Good news is the Sako is tack driver with 140 VLDs...5 shots in 1/2" at 100. Any idea why this scope is maxing out so quick at 100yds? Is it bad for longer range accuracy to have scoped elevation maxed out at 100yds?

From what I understand, going to a higher base would only give me the extra height of base at 100yds...ex: raising rings up another 1/4" would only give me another 1/4" elevation at 100yds.
Raising the scope will put the barrel lower in relation to the crosshair.
That means you will have to raise the point of impact higher. You are already maxed so your problem will get worse.

I'm using the built in Sako dovetail base that the rings connect directly to. I'm exactly 1.5" from bore center to scope center so height should be perfect. And I'm using a Swaro Z5 scope, all top of line stuff. Definitely don't want to shim anything. I'm taking Z5 back and swapping out for another one. Hard to believe swavorski would let out a bad scope but guess it could happen.

I'm using the built in Sako dovetail base that the rings connect directly to. I'm exactly 1.5" from bore center to scope center so height should be perfect. And I'm using a Swaro Z5 scope, all top of line stuff. Definitely don't want to shim anything. I'm taking Z5 back and swapping out for another one. Hard to believe swavorski would let out a bad scope but guess it could happen.
I have to think either your rings are not paired properly or they are reversed.

Is the Sako a flat topped action or is there a difference in height between the front and rear?

I agree and would do the same. Good luck!

I have to think either your rings are not paired properly or they are reversed.

Is the Sako a flat topped action or is there a difference in height between the front and rear?

The rings should be the same as they come as a set but the mount are slightly different, one of them has a locating pin like as shown in the video ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/pygW-Uy5p0o?t=3[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.