Help me with a 30-06 bullet

summitsitter

I recently got a 270 wsm to use while hunting fields, pipelines etc. So I want to make my ever-so loved 30-06 a woods (100yds or less) gun. Thats at least til I can get enough money to buy me a 45-70, 444 mag, something like that. So here the deal I want a big bad bullet. It doesn't have to be extremely accurate, I just want it to do alot of damage and be able to handle a little brush here and there. I'm hunting whitetails. Thought about maybe some type of 200gr blunt-nose or hollow point. I shooting a ruger mk7II, and without checking again I don't really remeber the twist in the barrel(factory). What kinda barrel twist do I need for that heavy of a bullet. And please give me your recommendations on bullets. Remeber heavy and be able to take a beating. Thank you.

First, you need to understand that NO bullet will "handle a little brush here and there." It will deflect ANY bullet. The last write-up I saw suggested that a spitzer might be deflected a little less than a round nose or flat point. But, essentially, you are pursuing the unobtainable. Any 180 gr. spitzer will probably do as well as anything, but obstructed shots are best not taken. For whitetails, why would you need anything more?

By brush I meant a peice of palmetto or a few sprigs of grass. Surely there is a bullet that can shot thru a piece of palmetto. They may all for all I know. I hunt palmetto covered hardwood and I want something to knock a big hole with lots of blood. 99% of my shots are obstructed by palmetto. just no way around it. So what about barrel twist in 180gr.

So what about barrel twist in 180gr.
The 1-10 twist in your 30-06 will stabilize any hunting bullet available. The 220's are round nose, so are not a challenge.

Put your rifle in a rest, aim it at a target, and then place a palmetto leaf (frond?) between them.

200 gr Accubond with 60 gr RL22 seated .020" off. Accurate in every 30-06 I've ever loaded for. Not fast but holds up well at distance if needed. Will absolutely slam anything you hit with it. WORK UP!

200AB61RL22.jpg

30-0610SHOTSBERSINED.jpg

Dem dam fliers!

Last edited:
I have some 180gr Partitions for my '06. If I didn't get them really cheap I would just use some 180gr CoreLocks. They are cheap, expand quickly and have enough *** to penetrate through a deer at those ranges. Did I mention they're cheap? If I were to hunt something bigger, up close, with the '06 then the Partitions would be my choice of bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.