Help me Choose a bullet and powder.......

NorthernSniper

O.K. I got my 300 WSM Finnlight and picked up a Leupold 4.5 - 14 B&C with extra low rings to top it off now what bullet would you recomend? I'm planning on Elk at 500yds I have used 200gr Accubonds with RL22 in my 300WM at 2900fps but I don't know if my 300WSM will handle the 200gr bullet. I have to say the 200gr Accubonds where outstanding, high BC very very accurate and not easily affected by the wind. I am curious to see how the 180gr Sirroco shoots as opposed to the 180 Accubond or 200gr Accubond. I have had best results with RL22 and RL19 so this is the powder I'll use, what have you tried? what do you recommend? Any help or comments welcome. Thanks for any help!

NorthernSniper,
I currently load 165gr NBT's for a buddy's .300WSM. This is strictly a deer load. It uses RL22, so that seems to be a good powder choice. For Elk I'd step up to at least the 180gr pills. I'd try all the name brand bullets and make my decision based on accuracy (1st) and velocity (2nd). It could get expensive but I would try the Scirocco, AccuBond, Barnes TSX, Partition and then GameKings. I would probably stop after the Scirocco. They're great bullets. Johnny K.

IF your looking to stay in the 180gr range you might give the Berger 185's a try. My hunting pardner has them shooting around 1/2" at 300 out of his RUM and they are really impressive on the hard steel plate we have out at 500. He also flat out way laid a sow hog weekend before last, out at 450yds. He estimated her in the 2-250 range and said she dropped on the shot so fast he thought she ran off. He reported complete pass through, with about a double caliber exit. IF they hadn't been ready to leave to come home he would have done an internal inspection to see how expansion was.

Just an idea.

The 180 accubond seems to be the go to load for the 300 wsm, nosler is loading it as their pet load as well.

I have heard that the win mag handles the really big bullets a little better than the wsm. try those 180gr accu's, i bet you like what you see

steve

I cant recomend a powder as I dont own one or even loaded for one, but I bet the 180g AB would be your best bet. It will be an excellent deer and elk bullet, and should give you groups in the .5-.75 range.

I would say ditto on the 185 gr Bergers. I am shooting them from a 300 RSAUM with H4350. They are the only bullets I shot last weekend that dented the "gong" at my range from 200m, and the put holes in the steel-frame backing on the paper target board. FWIW, the 6mm 88 and 90 gr Bergers left lead smudges on the gong and gum ball size craters in the steel frames.

I am getting 2900 fps with the 185s over 60 gr H4350. I went up to 61.5 gr at 2950 fps, but the bolt was sticky and velocity had topped out already.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.