Help me make a decision...

Flyjunky

Alright everyone, I can't make a decision on a scope and it's driving me nuts. I've been researching my *** off and I think I'm more confused now....decision paralysis. I'm having a new 6.5-284 built that I'll be using for hunting and shooting steel. I'd rather have a touch heavy rifle than a feather light one but I also don't want to drag a boat anchor around the mountains. My best guess on bare rifle weight for the build will be around 7.5lbs, sans scope. I hunt mostly open terrain, spot/stalk type of hunting but I have killed a few in the trees up close while getting to my glassing spot. My requirements are reliability, quality glass, and moa. I'm not set on ffp or sfp as I have both right now....I might be leaning ffp for this gun though. Here's what I'm thinking so far for options ( in no particular order)

1. Leupold Mk5 3.6-18
2. Atacr 4-20
3. March 3-24x52
4. Nx8 4-32
5. ZCO 4-20

I really like everything about the MK5 but the reliability keeps me from pulling the trigger right now. The Atacr looks great but just a touch heavy. I've never looked through a March but I hear great things and it is light. The Nx8, it doesn't seem to be great anywhere but it's seems good all around. The ZCO sounds great but the price is up at the very top of my budget but if it's head and shoulders above the rest than I might be willing to go that way.

Any words of advice or options that I haven't thought about?

I have some FFP scopes and I dont ever see myself hunting with a FFP at least not what I have looked through so far. I hunt on the lowest setting and rarely adjust power unless I have a long time (many many minutes) to take the shot. I dont like anything over 18x hunting. Everything you listed is out of my willingness to pay other than the Leupold. I have Leupold on all my current hunting what I will eat rifles. My only advice is I have missed opportunity because of too much magnification and not one time for not enough.

Ive seen quite a few of those Leupold for sale lately.My M5 is great optics,5-25 model but very large.I would really like to look through the 3-18 sounds perfect.I like mils used for last 15+ years.Dont believe they make a 4-20 atacr.They make a 4-16,sounds real good.My March 3-24x52,is realisticly good to 20x,low pro turrets,light good ZS,and been on tough hunts and rough rig use 6-7 years on light 338 NM.ZC I bet is great but heaviest of bunch at 34 oz. The leupold has good turrets and ZS.Id like to view a new March.If your thinking ZC, then you should consider TT315M,27 oz.

Last edited:
I was in your exact situation. Kelbly action, Carbon barrel and adj AG stock build in 7 Sherman Short. I researched and read everything I could. I ultimately decided on the ATACR 5-25x56 F2 MOAR-T.

I was pretty set on Mark 5, but in the back of my mind I would always wonder, is it on? I also considered S & B and Kahles but poor warranty and they didn't seem to offer anything over NF for my use.

I went with reliability and glass over weight. I would have done the 4-20 if available in F2, asked NF if launching that at SHOT and was told they were not.

Good luck,
Steve

The Mk5 is a fantastic scope. I have had 2 3x18s. Ones still on my go to rifle. Tracking was and still is spot on. I beat the crap out of one and it never flinched. I wouldn't hesitate on a Mk5hd. I just bought a NX8. In comparison I like the parallax a bit better on the nightforce and the glass seemed a smidgen nicer to my eyes, I know most won't agree on that. Both are great. I don't like the 50mm objective to the 44mm for a hunting rifle. You are splitting hairs but if the MK5 sounds good on paper to you, you won't be disappointed.

Alright everyone, I can't make a decision on a scope and it's driving me nuts. I've been researching my *** off and I think I'm more confused now....decision paralysis. I'm having a new 6.5-284 built that I'll be using for hunting and shooting steel. I'd rather have a touch heavy rifle than a feather light one but I also don't want to drag a boat anchor around the mountains. My best guess on bare rifle weight for the build will be around 7.5lbs, sans scope. I hunt mostly open terrain, spot/stalk type of hunting but I have killed a few in the trees up close while getting to my glassing spot. My requirements are reliability, quality glass, and moa. I'm not set on ffp or sfp as I have both right now....I might be leaning ffp for this gun though. Here's what I'm thinking so far for options ( in no particular order)

1. Leupold Mk5 3.6-18
2. Atacr 4-20
3. March 3-24x52
4. Nx8 4-32
5. ZCO 4-20

I really like everything about the MK5 but the reliability keeps me from pulling the trigger right now. The Atacr looks great but just a touch heavy. I've never looked through a March but I hear great things and it is light. The Nx8, it doesn't seem to be great anywhere but it's seems good all around. The ZCO sounds great but the price is up at the very top of my budget but if it's head and shoulders above the rest than I might be willing to go that way.

Any words of advice or options that I haven't thought about?
The m5 is fine. It's about the only leupold I'd recommend. It's also probably the lightest option you of the ones you listed above off the top of my head in the 34mm (35mm )category. My issue is the only reticle I liked that was illuminated, was the T3 reticle.

That said, ZCO is probably the best over all scope.

The atacr is a battle tested tank, and a perfectly fine scope too. Also probably on the heavier side. I'm not looking up the specs, so I'm doing this off memory.

So, I would consider getting your reasoning and priorities lined up. Eventually things that curb my decisions on a particular rifle build are intention. I research scopes and narrow down my options like you have. Then I decide which features I want on said build. Total mils/moa, revs, illumination, reticle options, zero stop function, reputation and cost pretty much determine which direction I go.

It can be a balancing act for sure that ends in some form of a compromise.

Last edited:
I was in your exact situation. Kelbly action, Carbon barrel and adj AG stock build in 7 Sherman Short. I researched and read everything I could. I ultimately decided on the ATACR 5-25x56 F2 MOAR-T.

I was pretty set on Mark 5, but in the back of my mind I would always wonder, is it on? I also considered S & B and Kahles but poor warranty and they didn't seem to offer anything over NF for my use.

I went with reliability and glass over weight. I would have done the 4-20 if available in F2, asked NF if launching that at SHOT and was told they were not.

Good luck,
Steve
I've had the exact same thoughts. I've always liked the specs on Leupold but that nagging thought on reliability is always there like you said.

I was hoping that 4-20 would be coming in sfp as well but I think I can deal with the ffp. Have you looked through a ffp Atacr on low power....is it easy to see? I'd imagine the illumination would help.

If you have the money, I'd probably go ZCO, they seem to get great reviews. Everyone who try's one loves it.
The glass is supposed to be phenomenal.

The m5 is fine. It's about the only leupold I'd recommend. It's also probably the lightest option you of the ones you listed above off the top of my head in the 34mm (35mm )category. My issue is I only reticle I liked that was illuminated was the T3 reticle.

That said, ZCO is probably the best over all scope.

The atacr is a battle tested tank, and a perfectly fine scope too. Also probably on the heavier side. I'm not looking up the specs, so I'm doing this off memory.

So, I would consider getting your reasoning and priorities lined up. Eventually things that curb my decisions on a particular rifle build are intension. I research scopes and narrow down my options like you have. Then I decide which features I want on said build. Total mils/moa, revs, illumination, reticle options, zero stop function, and reputation and cost pretty much determine which direction I go.

It can be a balancing act for sure that ends in some form of a compromise.
The Leupold is 26oz, Atacr is 35, March is 24.5, ZCO is 34.8.

So I basically have 2 lighter and then 2 heavier options. For my long-range rigs I like them to be between 9-10lbs and both of the heavier scopes would put me right in that range.

I think right now I'm leaning towards either the MK5 or Atacr.