Scope Decision....Help!!

kennyg

I need help deciding on a scope that will be going on a 7 SAUM. Uses will be deer hunting out to 750 yards, (almost nothing under 150 yards) and target shooting to 850 for now and hopefully past 1k in the near future. I don't care how big or heavy it is.

My checklist is this

1)reliable turrets (I dial elevation whenever I can)
2)glass that will allow me to make shots in low light
3)a reticle that I can use for windage holdover
4)I would like matching knobs for simplicity but they aren't required
5)budget is ~$800 or so, and I don't mind buying used
6)I like the idea of an FFP, but its not a deal-breaker

I am considering the Sightron SIII 6-24x50. It checks most of my requirements but I am not sure how the low light performance is. I am afraid of not being able to see the reticle in low light.

Another option is the Viper PST. It has every feature I want, I love the warranty, but I am concerned about the glass quality, and if the illumination would wash out the image in low light conditions.

If you have other ideas that would be great as well. As stated earlier reliable tracking and low light usability are most important to me. Thanks for your help!

I have the Viper PST. Cant say enough about the scope, especially for the money. Have about the same set up as you. Have used it out to 1k. For the money its hard to beat. Hope it helps.

That does help, thanks. I have a question about the illumination. When it is really dark, can you turn it down low enough that it does not wash out the image and affect your night vision?

You do not have to worry about the quality of glass in the Viper FFP PST 6-24X50. It is clearer than the glass in my Leupold Mark 4. I liked it well enough to get a second one.

I can highly recommend SIII 6-24X50. While the PST is bit of a "hot ticket" item right now, finding anyone not satisfied with their sightron SIII is very difficult! It has a longer and very proven track record. Used they can be had for around $650. the new exposed turret models also look very nice. I have two of the 2011 lineup SIIIs and the turrets are very crisp, even more so than my 2010 model, Which still isn't mushy by any means!

I can highly recommend SIII 6-24X50. While the PST is bit of a "hot ticket" item right now, finding anyone not satisfied with their sightron SIII is very difficult! It has a longer and very proven track record. Used they can be had for around $650. the new exposed turret models also look very nice. I have two of the 2011 lineup SIIIs and the turrets are very crisp, even more so than my 2010 model, Which still isn't mushy by any means!

What reticle do you have in your scopes? Have you ever used them in low light situations? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.