Help with scope decision - hunting and targets

txgolfer45

Background: Looking for a scope for hunting and long range shooting (targets or varmints like coyotes or hogs). My rifle is a Savage 10 Precision Carbine in .308. It won't be going on missions overseas. Shooting will be at a variety of distances not just one distance. I have a good rangefinder.

I want a variable scope with either mil/mil or moa/moa. I've been researching the following (yes, I've used the search function extensively):

Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP variety of reticles (new models)($850)
Sightron SIII 3.5-10x44 LR IRMAO or MD/CM (new models)(guessing $999 for IRMOA and $750 for MD/CM)
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 (zero stop? TMR, mil/mil or NP-R1 moa/moa?)($1500 - 1800 depending upon options)

The Vortex are just now coming into dealers hands after a delay due to problems with the first batch last summer. That makes me a little leery. Vortex CS has excellent reputation.

Sightron has an excellent reputation. But, these are new models. Availability is 60 - 90 days out per Sightron USA.

Nightforce is available now. For my purposes, should I get the zero stop? Since I have a good range finder, I could save some money by going with moa/moa instead of mil/mil (not a significant amount).

Based upon research here, I've left off Leupold due to numerous comments about price for what you get.

I'm leaning towards MOA/MOA.

Help!!!!!

I am also in the same boat as far as which scope to get. I am looking hard at the Vortex PST but I am not profficient enough with mil ranging. I REALLY like the MOA reticle on the PST except that it lacks (in my opinion) the 1 moa increments which would be a great deal of help when ranging, Those are the only factors holding me back.

As far as sightron, they do have a 10x42 with a mod mildot that looks awesome BUT since I have not seen an actual look through scope pic of the reticle I dont know what I am getting. I have played with a program using the modified mil dot and I was quite profficient with it. I am just hoping a fixed power will suit my needs. That rear parralax setting looks kind of tacky also

I to like the MOA/MOA but I would accept a MIL reticle with MOA adj as I will just be using the reticle for estimating distance not holdover. Please let me know what you decide, id be interested to know

Last edited:
Background: Looking for a scope for hunting and long range shooting (targets or varmints like coyotes or hogs). My rifle is a Savage 10 Precision Carbine in .308. It won't be going on missions overseas. Shooting will be at a variety of distances not just one distance. I have a good rangefinder.

I want a variable scope with either mil/mil or moa/moa. I've been researching the following (yes, I've used the search function extensively):

Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP variety of reticles (new models)($850)
Sightron SIII 3.5-10x44 LR IRMAO or MD/CM (new models)(guessing $999 for IRMOA and $750 for MD/CM)
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 (zero stop? TMR, mil/mil or NP-R1 moa/moa?)($1500 - 1800 depending upon options)

The Vortex are just now coming into dealers hands after a delay due to problems with the first batch last summer. That makes me a little leery. Vortex CS has excellent reputation.

Sightron has an excellent reputation. But, these are new models. Availability is 60 - 90 days out per Sightron USA.

Nightforce is available now. For my purposes, should I get the zero stop? Since I have a good range finder, I could save some money by going with moa/moa instead of mil/mil (not a significant amount).

Based upon research here, I've left off Leupold due to numerous comments about price for what you get.

I'm leaning towards MOA/MOA.

Help!!!!!

There's a crap load of good scopes out there. I will throw another Sightron into the mix.

SIIB SS 4.5-14x44 MD

This is a big sky model which has the same glass as a SIII...Which I think a lot of other scope makes that are twice the price have a hard time keeping up with when it comes to the clarity the glass.

I'm looking forward to another Sightron SIII. I currently shoot a 6x24x50 LRMD and find it completely accurate and repeatable. I'm sure the new models will be every bit as good as the turret system looks to be the same tried and true system. The current model's turrets turn a little too easy and I was told by Sightron that the new uncapped tactical turrets are much more definate and do not turn as easily. Both are good scopes. I am also going to try the MOA reticle this time around.

The Sightron also has 15 MOA per revolution where as the Vortex is only 12. I think that being 15 will be much easier to do the math when you go a complete revolution.

The LRMD reticle is pretty outstanding though and since I don't use it for holdovers it hasn't been an issue. I have used it a little for ranging with the Mildot Master and that has worked well. Here is a link for it.

thankyou

Anyone have experience with IOR Valdada 2.5-10x42 tactical 30 MM scope? They make versions with Mildot/MOA, Mildot/Mildot +/- illumination in the sub $1000 range. Top tier German glass mixed with Eastern European (Romania) pricing...very tempting but I am a little concerned about reliability and quality control issues.

In this price range, they are the only German glass players...maybe Zeiss Conquest. The rest have Japanese glass...probably from the same factories. I'm eagerly awaiting a comparison between the new verisions of Sightron SIII vs all the above. I guess I will have to wait until spring to find out.

I just bought my Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP MRAD today. Should be here tomorrow. Its gonna be a good day tomorrow

How did you manage that? I was under the impression that scope was still a good month or more out before pre-orders would be done and shelf stock would start to arrive.....

Kind of perplexed on that you left off Leupold but left on Nightforce???? Compare a Leupold VX-III to the Sightron, then look at the price tag. Not much difference for what you get.

Kind of perplexed on that you left off Leupold but left on Nightforce???? Compare a Leupold VX-III to the Sightron, then look at the price tag. Not much difference for what you get.

I'm looking for a mil/mil or moa/moa scope, preferrably moa/moa. Leupold has mil/moa.

I'm looking for a mil/mil or moa/moa scope, preferrably moa/moa. Leupold has mil/moa.

I think Leupold can do that, you just have to send it in.

But that makes sense if you want it out of the box like that. In that case, I would go with the Nightforce if you can afford it. You get what you pay for with glass.

I just placed my order for a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 NP-R1 with HS and ZS. :D

Thanks for the input in making my decision.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.