Help me decide: Minimum caliber for larger NA game

Muzzle brake serves two purposes: reduced felt recoil and reduced muzzle rise. The latter is often not realized. Being able to spot a target on impact is priceless. I understand that muzzle brakes are not for everybody, but it is a game-changer.

The 8 yr old is impressive. She has better skills than some of the "weekend warriors" I see at my local range, blowing off hundred of rounds out their AR's. Well done young lady.

Biggest knock on the 308 just the effective range? Would certainly give a lot of factory options
If you reload than the 308W using 208 gr elf-m with 46-46.5 gr of Reloder 17 (velocity 2600-2625 fps) will give killing power to 1000 yds on deer and 600-650 yards on elk and moose … been there done that… at 650 yds you have a velocity of 1880 fps and energy of 1630 lb/ft … more than enough for elk and moose … the biggest disadvantage is the wind … to achieve the hits reliably you would need a relatively calm day but regardless the 308 win is a fun round to shoot with a lot of pluses on its side.

Depending on which "Moose or Bear", U speak of, the 338 to 375 wood B my choice. The 375 H&H is not that bad to shoot, especially wif a brake. If U R talking Shiras moose and Black bears, then 300 mags will do.

I would agree with a bunch of guys on the 30-06, 7 rm, 6.5 prc. No bad choice there. I am starting out my kids shooting the 222 to develop good shooting skills. Cheap, accurate and builds confidence. For the next step we move to the 6.5 creedmoor. Long range practice. Components everywhere. My wife killed her elk this year with 7rm browning hells canyon speed with a suppressor on it. No recoil and no hearing protection needed. I just took a savage 110 I've had for awhile in 30-06 and put a 35 whelen criterion barrel on it. That takes care of bears, moose. Swithc back to 30-06 in 15 minutes if i want something lighter. My 30-06 shoots the 152 hammers at 3075 fps at .25 moa. Kill any elk to 500 with it. Sorry to muddy any water more. Lol

Hmm, let's all the Alaska.gov, Dept of Fish and Game,

Apparently 200 grain bullet is suggested for Alaskan peninsula for the big bears. That rules out anything below 30 Cal. They recommend, yeah we knew a long time ago, 30-06!

Guess what the average load in most 300 mags duplicate? The 30-06.
Ask yourself if the average 300 mag load good enough for you? Probably yes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220210_123829.jpg
    Screenshot_20220210_123829.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 32
Back in the last century, two of the foremost big game hunters known, Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith were asked a similar question. Mr. O'Connor preferred the .270 for most NA game animals and Mr. Keith felt that his minimum caliber for the large and possibly dangerous game was the venerable .375 H&H magnum. For me, having survived the year hunting in Nam, bigger is better. That being my opinion, I would lean towards the 300m magnums with a brake. The bottom line is the largest caliber you can handle safely and accurately is my opinion.

New guy here. Hear me out and throw your opinion in the ring. I own a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed. Has been an excellent gun, exactly what I was looking for, zero issue. Casual weekend bench shooting, can also drop a deer.

Now I'm in the market for something bigger or a step up in being adequate for larger game. I don't plan on any thick-skinned African hunts in the near future, so assume just North America, probably nothing more than bear/moose.

Thoughts:
  • I already have a 6.5 Creed, so I don't really need something specifically to overlap with that. I'm good up to deer, possibly elk, and looking for something in the elk and up range. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but heavy recoil does take some of the enjoyment out of it for me. I prefer something that I can comfortably practice with, sight in, multiple shots, and never be already preparing myself for the slam when about to squeeze off a shot at game. For this I love the 6.5.
  • I am not turned off by the chassis/AR-style look of some modern rifles. I do appreciate the modularity/adjustability, and adjusting cheek weld or length of pull is a must. Function over traditional appearance for me.
  • To meet some of my recoil requirements and to not get into the heavy hitting rounds, I'm content to accept that energy will only be high enough for my larger game targets out to 3-400 yards. At some point down the road, it will probably get a suppressor, so overall optimum barrel length is a factor.

Question: Lightest recoiling caliber, available in a gun model that is somewhat adjustable, at least minimally capable of ethical moose/bear shot at 300 yds? For sake of argument, ignore cost (of ammo), ammo availability, and assume factory loads. Not looking to build anything at this time, so a factory option in gun model and ammo.

I realize all of these are giving up something in some area or another, but options I have researched:
  • 6.5 PRC – really that much better than 6.5 Creed? A lot of overlap with what I already have, borderline good enough for moose. I do really like the recoil, ballistics, and lots of gun options. I hear people shooting elk at 1000yd with them, and while not something I plan to do, does make me think a good shot at 300 would probably drop a moose.
  • .280 AI – Hard to find options chambered in this, can get an Xbolt
  • 6.8 Western – Really like what I'm hearing about this one, meets a lot of my requirements, hard to find a gun I like chambered in it, also available in xbolt. Doesn't bother me that it's a new fad, and ammo is available.
  • 28 Nosler or .300 PRC – Incredibly capable rounds, I doubt I would enjoy shooting it very often, considering recoil. Would give me some ability to tackle even larger game. Maybe I could get manageable with a brake?
  • Sig cross/.277 fury – I like the portability/adjustability of the rifle, and think the cartridge is intriguing, but probably not much more adequate than my 6.5 for bigger game? Big pro here is the ballistics out of a 16" barrel. Even with a suppressor, a very small/compact package, plus folding.
Props if you actually read this far. All opinions welcome.
Sounds like you need a .300 Cal. It's hard to appreciate effective shooting/killing range until you don't have it. Confidence in shooting past 300 yards accurately and the knowledge that you will be hunting/killing ethically is important.

For your needs I'm firmly in 30-06 camp. 125's for lighter game and less recoil, and 200's for bigger game at distance. Added bonus if you won't need different powder for your 6.5 CM and shooting 190-215's your trajectory will be very close.

Good thing we never told the Eskimos in Alaska that they needed more than a 223, 30/30 or 30/06 to kill the largest Bears including Polar and Moose in North America. LOL
Always makes me chuckle when I see statements like this. (If U R talking Shiras moose and Black bears, then 300 mags will do.}

Yeah, I'm not looking for something to do it all. More meant, since I already had the 6.5creed, what would fill that gap on the upper end for any scenario where the 6.5 isn't quite enough. I think .300wm answered my question
My wife and I have killed a lot of elk in Idaho with 7mm-08 and .270 win. 7 out of 7 days, I'd take. 7mm Rem mag if you want more; 23 one shot elk kills.

I'm 5'10" 168#. Not a big guy and very adverse to recoil. I have a 300PRC with one of Ryan Pierce's (Piercision Rifles) 5 port brakes. It's amazing how little recoil the gun has. No problem shooting from a bench as much as I want. I also have a Tikka 6.5 CM Superlite. These two rifles complement each other so well. Tikka is a great to carry and handle even in the eastern woods. The 300 can reach out there with a punch.

I'm 5'10" 168#. Not a big guy and very adverse to recoil. I have a 300PRC with one of Ryan Pierce's (Piercision Rifles) 5 port brakes. It's amazing how little recoil the gun has. No problem shooting from a bench as much as I want. I also have a Tikka 6.5 CM Superlite. These two rifles complement each other so well. Tikka is a great to carry and handle even in the eastern woods. The 300 can reach out there with a punch.
Back to the drawing board.... I had essentially wrote off the 300PRC. Liked everything about it, but had decided any reasonable-weight gun would probably have too high of recoil, even suppressed/braked. Now maybe not?

New guy here. Hear me out and throw your opinion in the ring. I own a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed. Has been an excellent gun, exactly what I was looking for, zero issue. Casual weekend bench shooting, can also drop a deer.

Now I'm in the market for something bigger or a step up in being adequate for larger game. I don't plan on any thick-skinned African hunts in the near future, so assume just North America, probably nothing more than bear/moose.

Thoughts:
  • I already have a 6.5 Creed, so I don't really need something specifically to overlap with that. I'm good up to deer, possibly elk, and looking for something in the elk and up range. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but heavy recoil does take some of the enjoyment out of it for me. I prefer something that I can comfortably practice with, sight in, multiple shots, and never be already preparing myself for the slam when about to squeeze off a shot at game. For this I love the 6.5.
  • I am not turned off by the chassis/AR-style look of some modern rifles. I do appreciate the modularity/adjustability, and adjusting cheek weld or length of pull is a must. Function over traditional appearance for me.
  • To meet some of my recoil requirements and to not get into the heavy hitting rounds, I'm content to accept that energy will only be high enough for my larger game targets out to 3-400 yards. At some point down the road, it will probably get a suppressor, so overall optimum barrel length is a factor.

Question: Lightest recoiling caliber, available in a gun model that is somewhat adjustable, at least minimally capable of ethical moose/bear shot at 300 yds? For sake of argument, ignore cost (of ammo), ammo availability, and assume factory loads. Not looking to build anything at this time, so a factory option in gun model and ammo.

I realize all of these are giving up something in some area or another, but options I have researched:
  • 6.5 PRC – really that much better than 6.5 Creed? A lot of overlap with what I already have, borderline good enough for moose. I do really like the recoil, ballistics, and lots of gun options. I hear people shooting elk at 1000yd with them, and while not something I plan to do, does make me think a good shot at 300 would probably drop a moose.
  • .280 AI – Hard to find options chambered in this, can get an Xbolt
  • 6.8 Western – Really like what I'm hearing about this one, meets a lot of my requirements, hard to find a gun I like chambered in it, also available in xbolt. Doesn't bother me that it's a new fad, and ammo is available.
  • 28 Nosler or .300 PRC – Incredibly capable rounds, I doubt I would enjoy shooting it very often, considering recoil. Would give me some ability to tackle even larger game. Maybe I could get manageable with a brake?
  • Sig cross/.277 fury – I like the portability/adjustability of the rifle, and think the cartridge is intriguing, but probably not much more adequate than my 6.5 for bigger game? Big pro here is the ballistics out of a 16" barrel. Even with a suppressor, a very small/compact package, plus folding.
Props if you actually read this far. All opinions welcome.
My son uses a 270WSM for every thing ,sheep, bear, moose , caribou, and even several big
grizzly . Shot on sheep and caribou ranged at 500 yards ,every thing else 300 and under. A
7 MM Remington mag is also one to look at ,shoots flat low recoil. Me its a 300WM