Help me decide: Minimum caliber for larger NA game

New guy here. Hear me out and throw your opinion in the ring. I own a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed. Has been an excellent gun, exactly what I was looking for, zero issue. Casual weekend bench shooting, can also drop a deer.

Now I'm in the market for something bigger or a step up in being adequate for larger game. I don't plan on any thick-skinned African hunts in the near future, so assume just North America, probably nothing more than bear/moose.

Thoughts:
  • I already have a 6.5 Creed, so I don't really need something specifically to overlap with that. I'm good up to deer, possibly elk, and looking for something in the elk and up range. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but heavy recoil does take some of the enjoyment out of it for me. I prefer something that I can comfortably practice with, sight in, multiple shots, and never be already preparing myself for the slam when about to squeeze off a shot at game. For this I love the 6.5.
  • I am not turned off by the chassis/AR-style look of some modern rifles. I do appreciate the modularity/adjustability, and adjusting cheek weld or length of pull is a must. Function over traditional appearance for me.
  • To meet some of my recoil requirements and to not get into the heavy hitting rounds, I'm content to accept that energy will only be high enough for my larger game targets out to 3-400 yards. At some point down the road, it will probably get a suppressor, so overall optimum barrel length is a factor.

Question: Lightest recoiling caliber, available in a gun model that is somewhat adjustable, at least minimally capable of ethical moose/bear shot at 300 yds? For sake of argument, ignore cost (of ammo), ammo availability, and assume factory loads. Not looking to build anything at this time, so a factory option in gun model and ammo.

I realize all of these are giving up something in some area or another, but options I have researched:
  • 6.5 PRC – really that much better than 6.5 Creed? A lot of overlap with what I already have, borderline good enough for moose. I do really like the recoil, ballistics, and lots of gun options. I hear people shooting elk at 1000yd with them, and while not something I plan to do, does make me think a good shot at 300 would probably drop a moose.
  • .280 AI – Hard to find options chambered in this, can get an Xbolt
  • 6.8 Western – Really like what I'm hearing about this one, meets a lot of my requirements, hard to find a gun I like chambered in it, also available in xbolt. Doesn't bother me that it's a new fad, and ammo is available.
  • 28 Nosler or .300 PRC – Incredibly capable rounds, I doubt I would enjoy shooting it very often, considering recoil. Would give me some ability to tackle even larger game. Maybe I could get manageable with a brake?
  • Sig cross/.277 fury – I like the portability/adjustability of the rifle, and think the cartridge is intriguing, but probably not much more adequate than my 6.5 for bigger game? Big pro here is the ballistics out of a 16" barrel. Even with a suppressor, a very small/compact package, plus folding.
Props if you actually read this far. All opinions welcome.
I have a 28 Nosler with a good muzzle brake it shoots like a.243, shoots flat hits fast and hard very accurate

7RemMag, 30-06, .300Wby.

BTW, I believe a .280 can be reamed to a .280AI.
Correct. All that's really changed is the shoulder placement and angle.
1644721880690.png

270 vs 280 Remington vs 280 Ackley Improved vs 7mm Rem Mag​

Here's what you need to know about the 280 Ackley Improved and how it stacks up against the 270 Winchester, 280 Remington, and the 7mm Remington Magnum.

7RemMag, 30-06, .300Wby.

BTW, I believe a .280 can be reamed to a .280AI.
All of the parent cartridges can be reamed to an improved version, and there are plenty of variants out there. i.e., the -.30-06.

.30-06 IMPROVED INSIDE VOLUME.JPG

As noted in #113, I have a .30-06 re-chambered to .30 Gibbs. Below is a factory Federal Powershok with 180 SP and .30 Gibbs with 168 CBB.

.30 Gibbs 168 CBB vs Federal Powershok 180.jpg

Below is .300 WBTY factory ammo 180 SP vs .30 LARA with 220 Hornady ELD-X

.300 WBTY vs .30 LARA.jpg

I should clarify, I'm looking for something with longer range potential. I'm thinking antelope/deer/elk-size out to 5-600 or more, but also capable of larger game, by maintaining energy high enough to work on something like a moose at closer range. I know none of these calibers will be sufficient for large game at 1000yd. what's a good bridge between long range (on medium game), shootability, and enough energy to probably make do on larger game (inside 3-400yd)?
325 Short Mag, I have taken Caribou, Deer, Hogs, Black Bear with this rifle, 180 grain Hornady all under 400 yards. I do have the Barrel magna ported.

I also live in the north, and realize rural canadians are limited not only to whats available, but what the Trudeau and the Queen approve of. I own a couple 308's and a 303. Great cartridges but neither are my first choice for big toothy critters.
I agree, the 308 Winchester is not the "first choice for big toothy critters".... But, the OP did not ask about a "first choice". The OP asked for a, "Minimum caliber for larger NA game". My response (with evidence), was only meant to reassure the OP that the 308 Win has a splendid track record when it comes to "NA game" animals, and would more than satisfy his criteria. Cheers!

Last edited:
Has OP decided yet? I think 280AI is a happy medium out of the options you listed. Can go a custom build route with it as well.
Not yet. Really appreciate all the feedback from the members here. Still considering all the input, and comparing that to the chamberings of the some of the rifles I like. Not something I necessarily have to have for several months (currently just a want), so I'm holding off to see if some of these newer models increase their chambering options. Will probably end up being 300prc, 300wsm, or 300wm (in that order) if I find a rifle I really like that offers any of those. If not, and I need something to get by, will probably go .308 for now, as that's offered in about everything.

Consider something in .338 caliber with muzzle brake. Bullets selection between 200 - 300gr. You are talking about Moose, Bear, Elk with a .27 cal.? - which is just too marginal for for these IMHO.

Last edited:
The 300 RUM ticks all the boxes and with 180 gr bullets doesn't really need a muzzle brake, but can be installed for use when shooting off the bench and removed when out hunting

Factory ammo ? yup, and some good stuff is made by Barnes that will efficiently take 90-95% of the worlds game by the typical non-reloading hunter, and the Eskimos will use it on the rest of the big beasts, lol !

78FB4F87-70B5-49D6-B6B3-B457F58F92B8.jpeg
D4DB665B-0B0A-4304-AF79-E6A6C4E915AE.jpeg

Not yet. Really appreciate all the feedback from the members here. Still considering all the input, and comparing that to the chamberings of the some of the rifles I like. Not something I necessarily have to have for several months (currently just a want), so I'm holding off to see if some of these newer models increase their chambering options. Will probably end up being 300prc, 300wsm, or 300wm (in that order) if I find a rifle I really like that offers any of those. If not, and I need something to get by, will probably go .308 for now, as that's offered in about everything.
You at least got it narrowed down. I have a .30-06, .30 Gibbs, two .300 WSMs, three .300 WMs, and .30 LARA (.300 Jarrett Improved) in .30 cal. Do not beat yourself too much on deciding which rifle/rifle chambering; believe me, this is not going to be your last. Good luck!

Any 308 caliber cartridge capable of pushing a 225/230 around 3K gets that mission accomplished. The 338 in a 250-300 is extra insurance for sure and for the Big brown bears and moose, maybe a solid consideration.

You at least got it narrowed down. I have a .30-06, .30 Gibbs, two .300 WSMs, three .300 WMs, and .30 LARA (.300 Jarrett Improved) in .30 cal. Do not beat yourself too much on deciding which rifle/rifle chambering; believe me, this is not going to be your last. Good luck!
When I started out with my list, I was convinced most of the .30cals' recoil would be too uncomfortable to shoot often, but I'm not overly fragile and most here have me convinced it wouldn't be that bad with a brake/suppressor. If you take recoil out of the argument, then I agree those make more sense. Factoring in gun/chambering selections, it will come down to either one of those vs. lighter recoiling/probably good enough/tons of options (308).

When I started out with my list, I was convinced most of the .30cals' recoil would be too uncomfortable to shoot often, but I'm not overly fragile and most here have me convinced it wouldn't be that bad with a brake/suppressor. If you take recoil out of the argument, then I agree those make more sense. Factoring in gun/chambering selections, it will come down to either one of those vs. lighter recoiling/probably good enough/tons of options (308).
A decent brake combined with a good Limbsaver or Decellerator pad tames them down more than most folks would think.

A couple of years back I was doing some load work up and took two each 300wm's, 300 Rum's, and .375 Rugers to the range one day. Put over 70 rounds down range in total and while driving home it dawned on me I wasn't the least bit beaten or bruised up. Surprised me to say the least.

Recent Posts