Help me decide: Minimum caliber for larger NA game

As to the OP's original question, I would agree with others, go with a magnum and a brake. The 06 doesn't get enough credit around here cuz it's old school and flight ballistics aren't fantastic. But for what he wants it would fit the bill.

Having said that, the 7RM would give 'em a bigger bore than the 6.5, more power, only moderate recoil and muzzle rise with a brake, and similar flight ballistics. Personally that is my next step up from the 270.

I was not able to shoot my 7RM (9lbs 24" sporter barrel) consistently accurately and did not find it fun until I put a brake(JP Precision) on it. Then woohoo, cloverleaves all day at 100, and my best group was 1.5" at 500 with light wind gusts. It's just got a $500 Nikon 5-20 scope on it, nothing exotic.

New guy here. Hear me out and throw your opinion in the ring. I own a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed. Has been an excellent gun, exactly what I was looking for, zero issue. Casual weekend bench shooting, can also drop a deer.

Now I'm in the market for something bigger or a step up in being adequate for larger game. I don't plan on any thick-skinned African hunts in the near future, so assume just North America, probably nothing more than bear/moose.

Thoughts:
  • I already have a 6.5 Creed, so I don't really need something specifically to overlap with that. I'm good up to deer, possibly elk, and looking for something in the elk and up range. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but heavy recoil does take some of the enjoyment out of it for me. I prefer something that I can comfortably practice with, sight in, multiple shots, and never be already preparing myself for the slam when about to squeeze off a shot at game. For this I love the 6.5.
  • I am not turned off by the chassis/AR-style look of some modern rifles. I do appreciate the modularity/adjustability, and adjusting cheek weld or length of pull is a must. Function over traditional appearance for me.
  • To meet some of my recoil requirements and to not get into the heavy hitting rounds, I'm content to accept that energy will only be high enough for my larger game targets out to 3-400 yards. At some point down the road, it will probably get a suppressor, so overall optimum barrel length is a factor.

Question: Lightest recoiling caliber, available in a gun model that is somewhat adjustable, at least minimally capable of ethical moose/bear shot at 300 yds? For sake of argument, ignore cost (of ammo), ammo availability, and assume factory loads. Not looking to build anything at this time, so a factory option in gun model and ammo.

I realize all of these are giving up something in some area or another, but options I have researched:
  • 6.5 PRC – really that much better than 6.5 Creed? A lot of overlap with what I already have, borderline good enough for moose. I do really like the recoil, ballistics, and lots of gun options. I hear people shooting elk at 1000yd with them, and while not something I plan to do, does make me think a good shot at 300 would probably drop a moose.
  • .280 AI – Hard to find options chambered in this, can get an Xbolt
  • 6.8 Western – Really like what I'm hearing about this one, meets a lot of my requirements, hard to find a gun I like chambered in it, also available in xbolt. Doesn't bother me that it's a new fad, and ammo is available.
  • 28 Nosler or .300 PRC – Incredibly capable rounds, I doubt I would enjoy shooting it very often, considering recoil. Would give me some ability to tackle even larger game. Maybe I could get manageable with a brake?
  • Sig cross/.277 fury – I like the portability/adjustability of the rifle, and think the cartridge is intriguing, but probably not much more adequate than my 6.5 for bigger game? Big pro here is the ballistics out of a 16" barrel. Even with a suppressor, a very small/compact package, plus folding.
Props if you actually read this far. All opinions welcome.
Well the 6.5 Creedmoor with good shot placement and right load should do well. I use a 300 win mag, typically for most stuff(braked now getting old), recoil with the brake is like a .243 caliber. But have moved to a 338 win mag and 375 ruger for dangerous game and hunting in Brown bear territory, have heard of a lot of grizzly encounters in Montana recently. Sounds like they should have a season for those bears, save me a trip to Alaska.

7RM is perfect in 8 twist. 300 WSM can be loaded down for deer and pronghorns 130gr TTSX @ 3000 to 3500fps or loaded up to 200 gr for anything else. But 7RM is my favorite for anything in NA. It will kill anything in NA.
There's really no reason to "load down" unless you want to save components or reduce recoil.

The same 30 cal Accubond leaving the muzzle at 3,250fps isn't going to have any measurably different effect on a coyote, deer, antelope, elk, moose, or bear.

Just put it in the right place and pull the trigger then collect the rewards of your hunt.

The only thing that really changes the equation is impact velocity.

I believe I go with your first responders answer if recoil is an issue. The good old 30-06 will answer your needs and IMO better than the 308. Especially with heavier bullets. Now this may not be enough proof for some of you but 2 bull moose with a 30-06 and Barnes 180 gr TSX. First one broadside dropped where it stood. Second at a less than ideal angle only ran 30 yards and tipped over. A mature cow elk angling away smashed the off side shoulder dropping her.
Either will certainly do the job but given a choice I'd take the .300wm over the 30-06 just for the added velocity and energy downrange.

All else being equal you have about the same energy at 500yds with the Winnine that the 06 gives you at 300-350.

That's why the Winnie may very well be the most versatile centerfire cartridge of all time and that's coming from a dedicated 7mm guy for four decades.

It's just the Toyota Land Cruiser of centerfire cartridges and will always get the job done if you do your part.

That being said, I've never felt "under gunned" carrying either the 7RM or my beloved 7mm STW. I just recognize the Winnie for what it is which is the reason I chose the Winnie for my first trip to Africa and took 20 odd species of African game with it from point blank to way out there.

7 mm Rem. Mag. Ammo easier to find than some of the others
That equation is changing rapidly though as the new wiz bang rounds gain ever more market share. With that being the case even local mom and pop shops are going to start selling them because that's what the locals will be asking for.

There is some really good advice in the first 4 pages. Didn't want to try and catch up to the next 11.

My pick would be the 7mm Rem Mag. Great brass support if ya reload, recoil is VERY manageable. My 120 lb. ex-bank account drainer shoots one very well. Off hand too.

I should clarify, I'm looking for something with longer range potential. I'm thinking antelope/deer/elk-size out to 5-600 or more, but also capable of larger game, by maintaining energy high enough to work on something like a moose at closer range. I know none of these calibers will be sufficient for large game at 1000yd. what's a good bridge between long range (on medium game), shootability, and enough energy to probably make do on larger game (inside 3-400yd)?
300 Win Mag. It's not the unicorn you're looking for but it will cover the spread.

I'm old fashioned (77) and have been hunting with a 338 Win Mag for over 40 years. I've taken many elk, caribou, moose, and one bear with my 338 Win Mag. Guided elk hunts for 17 years. A 30 caliber (+) with a minimum 180 grain bullet has always done the job. Energy and mass are more important than velocity. High speed bullet are too explosive and fragment easily. I saw 17 elk lost after being shot with the highly touted 7mm (I know, shot placement is the major issue and we used to dispatch beef cattle with a .22). Recoil is only an issue when sighting in. Out in the field you don't even notice it.

New guy here. Hear me out and throw your opinion in the ring. I own a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed. Has been an excellent gun, exactly what I was looking for, zero issue. Casual weekend bench shooting, can also drop a deer.

Now I'm in the market for something bigger or a step up in being adequate for larger game. I don't plan on any thick-skinned African hunts in the near future, so assume just North America, probably nothing more than bear/moose.

Thoughts:
  • I already have a 6.5 Creed, so I don't really need something specifically to overlap with that. I'm good up to deer, possibly elk, and looking for something in the elk and up range. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but heavy recoil does take some of the enjoyment out of it for me. I prefer something that I can comfortably practice with, sight in, multiple shots, and never be already preparing myself for the slam when about to squeeze off a shot at game. For this I love the 6.5.
  • I am not turned off by the chassis/AR-style look of some modern rifles. I do appreciate the modularity/adjustability, and adjusting cheek weld or length of pull is a must. Function over traditional appearance for me.
  • To meet some of my recoil requirements and to not get into the heavy hitting rounds, I'm content to accept that energy will only be high enough for my larger game targets out to 3-400 yards. At some point down the road, it will probably get a suppressor, so overall optimum barrel length is a factor.

Question: Lightest recoiling caliber, available in a gun model that is somewhat adjustable, at least minimally capable of ethical moose/bear shot at 300 yds? For sake of argument, ignore cost (of ammo), ammo availability, and assume factory loads. Not looking to build anything at this time, so a factory option in gun model and ammo.

I realize all of these are giving up something in some area or another, but options I have researched:
  • 6.5 PRC – really that much better than 6.5 Creed? A lot of overlap with what I already have, borderline good enough for moose. I do really like the recoil, ballistics, and lots of gun options. I hear people shooting elk at 1000yd with them, and while not something I plan to do, does make me think a good shot at 300 would probably drop a moose.
  • .280 AI – Hard to find options chambered in this, can get an Xbolt
  • 6.8 Western – Really like what I'm hearing about this one, meets a lot of my requirements, hard to find a gun I like chambered in it, also available in xbolt. Doesn't bother me that it's a new fad, and ammo is available.
  • 28 Nosler or .300 PRC – Incredibly capable rounds, I doubt I would enjoy shooting it very often, considering recoil. Would give me some ability to tackle even larger game. Maybe I could get manageable with a brake?
  • Sig cross/.277 fury – I like the portability/adjustability of the rifle, and think the cartridge is intriguing, but probably not much more adequate than my 6.5 for bigger game? Big pro here is the ballistics out of a 16" barrel. Even with a suppressor, a very small/compact package, plus folding.
Props if you actually read this far. All opinions welcome.This will be interesting. My opinion is, as long as your bullet is traveling fast enough for proper expansion you should be good. My believe behind this method is I harvest all kinds of animals with my bow and it doesn't lay down 4000 lbs of kinetic energy for a moose some people think is needed. I have also taken elk with my 260 Rem and 140 grain Berger's just shy of 1200 yards. I'm over the 1300 fps Berger says is needed for proper expansion. ( I think their new bullets say 1600 fps min ) when I took that elk I was no where near 2,000 or 4,000 ft lbs of energy a lot of people say is needed to drop elk. I think she walked about 50 yards after impact. I watched her the whole time till she fell. I waited my 30 minutes then started to go retrieve her. It was a double lung shot. I did not get complete pass through. Good luck on your decision. It's all ways fun when you get a new toy.

I should clarify, I'm looking for something with longer range potential. I'm thinking antelope/deer/elk-size out to 5-600 or more, but also capable of larger game, by maintaining energy high enough to work on something like a moose at closer range. I know none of these calibers will be sufficient for large game at 1000yd. what's a good bridge between long range (on medium game), shootability, and enough energy to probably make do on larger game (inside 3-400yd)?
You can waste literally years trying to decide but it's really easy to simplify the search.

300wm or 300PRC PRC slight advantage and is in all likelihood the 30 cal that will dominate the market in this century.

7RM or if you want a little more gas and don't mind reloading the 7mm STW.

Any of these four will meet your needs with energy to spare. If it were me, as much as I love my Rum's, my STW's and my Winnies my choice would be the .300 PRC.

On top of everything else it has going for it, it's right in the middle power wise between the Winnie and Rum and the rifles chambered in 300PRC today will already be throated for and have twist rates adequate for the heavy for caliber offerings available for Long Range Hunting/Shooting and they can be found at prices that won't break the bank or make you throw up after writing the check.

I know none of these calibers will be sufficient for large game at 1000yd.
One of your choices does ...

300 PRC. It is a full step above what you currently have and therefore avoids any overlap. It has heavier larger diameter bullets moving faster. Recoil is actually very manageable especially with a brake or suppressor and also due to the fact that it is mounted in more modern design stocks with materials, angles and designs that handle recoil better than traditional wood stocks IMO. There are also many factory options and several of them shoot quite well and have the factory stock options for adjustability/shims etc that you desire. Ammo is peridocally available compared to most others. For example: I haven't seen 7mmRM or 300WM for almost two years anywhere regionally for me. But about once a month the local shops are getting 6.5 PRC and/or 300PRC.