Help me decide: Minimum caliber for larger NA game

I have mixed feelings on this topic. If i was you, and planed on not shooting past 300 yards, then id just keep shooting the 6.5 creedmoor. People say its too small for big game but my experience makes me wonder if this is true. In the last few years a friend and I have shot 5 oryx (probably toughest big game animal there is without question), desert big horn, bears, and a almost a dozen mule deer and they literally all died on the spot. A couple of them went 30-40 yards. Many were shot at 300-400 yards and 2 deer were at 625 and 725.
A question i have is this? Is the lung and hart tissue on an elk or bear any stronger then the lung and heart tissue on a deer? Of course not. Yes the cavity wall is a little thicker. I think larger calibers are more forgiving when shot placement maybe isn't ideal.
This all being said, i just bought a 300 prc! Ha ha
I agree with you Newmexican Hunter, while its not a 6.5 Creedmore, I have taken 2 Gemsbok/Oryx both with 257 Weatherby, I have taken a couple of pretty large Elk with 257 Weatherby, 4 Audad 1 at 400 yds and some really nice Mule deer with 257Bee farthest shot was a Mule deer at 450 +/- and every one of them where bang flops, not all instant death but they couldn't go anywhere until I got to them. Not shooting the new 131 GR or 133 GR, all were 115 GR Noslers.
I have taken 2 large hogs with the 257Bee, since I rebarreled with the 131 Black Jacks and I must say at 3400 FPS with that projectile its much more effective than the 115's are, shot in the shoulder and they were instant death, not may hogs die instantly from shoulder shots, toxic shock syndrome is my best guess.
I have 338 Cal magnum, 30 magnum, 7MM magnums, .277 magnum, 6.5 magnum, and the .257Bee and I always take the ole 257 Weatherby, its just got the JuJu.

Honestly guys all sounds great as long as stay under the bull elk size animal -750lbs any 30 caliber will be good based on shot placement but when you include the moose and even brown bear you best step it up 300 win and min prefer the 338

I'd vote fo
New guy here. Hear me out and throw your opinion in the ring. I own a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed. Has been an excellent gun, exactly what I was looking for, zero issue. Casual weekend bench shooting, can also drop a deer.

Now I'm in the market for something bigger or a step up in being adequate for larger game. I don't plan on any thick-skinned African hunts in the near future, so assume just North America, probably nothing more than bear/moose.

Thoughts:
  • I already have a 6.5 Creed, so I don't really need something specifically to overlap with that. I'm good up to deer, possibly elk, and looking for something in the elk and up range. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but heavy recoil does take some of the enjoyment out of it for me. I prefer something that I can comfortably practice with, sight in, multiple shots, and never be already preparing myself for the slam when about to squeeze off a shot at game. For this I love the 6.5.
  • I am not turned off by the chassis/AR-style look of some modern rifles. I do appreciate the modularity/adjustability, and adjusting cheek weld or length of pull is a must. Function over traditional appearance for me.
  • To meet some of my recoil requirements and to not get into the heavy hitting rounds, I'm content to accept that energy will only be high enough for my larger game targets out to 3-400 yards. At some point down the road, it will probably get a suppressor, so overall optimum barrel length is a factor.

Question: Lightest recoiling caliber, available in a gun model that is somewhat adjustable, at least minimally capable of ethical moose/bear shot at 300 yds? For sake of argument, ignore cost (of ammo), ammo availability, and assume factory loads. Not looking to build anything at this time, so a factory option in gun model and ammo.

I realize all of these are giving up something in some area or another, but options I have researched:
  • 6.5 PRC – really that much better than 6.5 Creed? A lot of overlap with what I already have, borderline good enough for moose. I do really like the recoil, ballistics, and lots of gun options. I hear people shooting elk at 1000yd with them, and while not something I plan to do, does make me think a good shot at 300 would probably drop a moose.
  • .280 AI – Hard to find options chambered in this, can get an Xbolt
  • 6.8 Western – Really like what I'm hearing about this one, meets a lot of my requirements, hard to find a gun I like chambered in it, also available in xbolt. Doesn't bother me that it's a new fad, and ammo is available.
  • 28 Nosler or .300 PRC – Incredibly capable rounds, I doubt I would enjoy shooting it very often, considering recoil. Would give me some ability to tackle even larger game. Maybe I could get manageable with a brake?
  • Sig cross/.277 fury – I like the portability/adjustability of the rifle, and think the cartridge is intriguing, but probably not much more adequate than my 6.5 for bigger game? Big pro here is the ballistics out of a 16" barrel. Even with a suppressor, a very small/compact package, plus folding.
Props if you actually read this far. All opinions welcome.
I'd vote for the tried and true 30-06, or if you reload, the .280 Ackley Improved.

There's a reason a lot of outfitters have banned 6.5mm cartridges for use on elk recently. I've personally killed one with a creedmoor at 550 yards and wouldn't do it again unless I had no other cartridge options.

Can't go wrong with a 375 H&H (or 375 Ruger)
When Ruger came out with the 375 Ruger Mag Safari I wanted one BAD! BUT that was for going to Africa DG smallest caliber allowed.

I know guides that have taken many Buffalow, Lion. Leopard with a 338Win Mag.

We got a 325WSM (larger than a .300 and not a .338) when it first came out with the idea to take any NA animals with AB or Partitioned Bullets and also Africa.
Dropped Moose, Eland, Kudu, Zebra, Blue Wildbeast, and many more with 200gr ABs. One shot!
Get yourself several rifles for all NA Game.
Start with :
234 Winchester
6.5s--260 Rem/6.5X284
270 WSM
284-7mm plenty to pick from
325WSM
.338LM
My favorite five for Antelope to Brown Bear
243 Winchester
260 Rem
6.5X284
270 WSM
325 WSM

Thanks
Len & Jill

300 Win Mag will do it all, modest recoil, and with a brake will be easy to shoot. And you can find ammo just about anywhere. I also shoot a 300 Weatherby with a brake, and it recoils like a 243 Win.

A new 1 Moa or Sub MOA rifle chambered in 30-06 , with the threaded barrel, so you can add a break, if you think you need too. I think that will meet 95 percent of your requitements. If you want a bit more punch , and bit more range , a small step up to 300 Win mag.

Here is everything you could possibly need all wrapped up in one item.

I agree with a lot of others. If you want something that doesn't have too much recoil but is effective for just about all large game in North America. (Probably wouldn't pick it for brown bear), I'd go with a Remington 7mm magnum. Even my petite wife could handle it just fine on a safari in Africa and it seemed to put down large African plains animals like oryx, waterbuck, kudu and zebra just as effectively as my 300 ultra did on a previous safari.

7 SAUM or one of the Sherman choices, 7 Max, 7SS, 338SS

I'm still working on a load for my 338 SS, recoil is not bad at all. 2800 plus with a 205gr Hammer. I have some 175gr Hammers on hand to try, I hope 29?? something can be reached.

My 7 SAUM is a great shooter, 162gr or 175gr ELDX. The 175s with 58gr of RE26 are running 2751 avg. Looking at my log book I don't see any notes about pressure so there might be a little more speed there. The 175s like H1000 too. The 168 VLD Hunters are also a good bullet for me.

The thing that puts the SAUM last on the list is brass availability
"assume factory loads"