Help Me Choose A 300 Win Mag

I second the 700 5R. My 5R .300 WM is a tack driver - solid .4-.5 MOA rifle if I do my part. Definitely replace the crap X-mark trigger with an aftermarket option of your choice and happy hunting.

Thanks everyone for all of the input, I really appreciate it. You've given me a lot to think about and I'll be adding a few more to my list to consider, including the 5R Milspec and the Christensen Ridgeline.

I'm assuming that not all 5Rs are necessarily "Milspec"? I've had a hard time finding good information on these and can't tell if the "5R" and "5R Milspec" are different rifles.

Thanks everyone for all of the input, I really appreciate it. You've given me a lot to think about and I'll be adding a few more to my list to consider, including the 5R Milspec and the Christensen Ridgeline.

I'm assuming that not all 5Rs are necessarily "Milspec"? I've had a hard time finding good information on these and can't tell if the "5R" and "5R Milspec" are different rifles.
5R is the type of rifling that it has... 5R rifling was developed by Boots Obermeyer, and has been used in the Remington M24 (700) sniper rifles since it's inception. I personally, am a HUGE fan of 5R rifling. I have quite a number of aftermarket barrels with 5R rifling, and I find it to be easier to clean, smoother to clean, it collects less copper fouling, and goes longer longer between needing to be cleaned (I only clean a rifle when it starts throwing shots).

The reason for the "Milspec" in its name, is because it is essentially a civilian version of the famous M24 sniper rifle. Remington uses the exact same 416R stainless steel 5R rifled M24 barrels and the same exact HS Precision stocks on these rifles, as the M24 sniper rifle. The only differences, are the stock is green & black on the civilian "Milspec" model, and the bull barrel has been turned-down to the Remington Varmint/Sendero contour. The civilian "Milspec" has the crappy X-Mark Pro trigger, as well. The true M24 uses the 40-X trigger, has a solid black HS Precision stock, and a heavier M24 contour bull barrel.

So, other than the stock color, stainless finish, the trigger, and slightly lighter contoured barrel, for all intents and purposes, you are getting an M24 sniper rifle. And I can attest to this having shot both, and owning 2 of the 5R Milspec rifles...They shoot just like one. You can buy one of these civilian 5R Milspecs for under $1,000, or you can buy a real M24 kit for around $7,500... I'll stick with the civilian version.

Internet rumors have claimed these use "reject" M24 barrels in them, but that is simple not true.

Also, in my first post on page 1, I posted you a link to the 5R .300WM with the 26" barrel. Buds has them for less than $850 right now, which is an absolute steal for what you get, even if you do have to swap the trigger...But you're going to have to do that on any new Remington 700 you buy, no matter how much it costs or what model it is.

Last edited:
5R is the type of rifling that it has... 5R rifling was developed by Boots Obermeyer, and has been used in the Remington M24 (700) sniper rifles since it's inception. I personally, am a HUGE fan of 5R rifling. I have quite a number of aftermarket barrels with 5R rifling, and I find it to be easier to clean, smoother to clean, it collects less copper fouling, and goes longer longer between needing to be cleaned (I only clean a rifle when it starts throwing shots).

The reason for the "Milspec" in its name, is because it is essentially a civilian version of the famous M24 sniper rifle. Remington uses the exact same 416R stainless steel 5R rifled M24 barrels and the same exact HS Precision stocks on these rifles, as the M24 sniper rifle. The only differences, are the stock is green & black on the civilian "Milspec" model, and the bull barrel has been turned-down to the Remington Varmint/Sendero contour. The civilian "Milspec" has the crappy X-Mark Pro trigger, as well. The true M24 uses the 40-X trigger, has a solid black HS Precision stock, and a heavier M24 contour bull barrel.

So, other than the stock color, stainless finish, the trigger, and slightly lighter contoured barrel, for all intents and purposes, you are getting an M24 sniper rifle. And I can attest to this having shot both, and owning 2 of the 5R Milspec rifles...They shoot just like one. You can buy one of these civilian 5R Milspecs for under $1,000, or you can buy a real M24 kit for around $7,500... I'll stick with the civilian version.

Internet rumors have claimed these use "reject" M24 barrels in them, but that is simple not true.

Also, in my first post on page 1, I posted you a link to the 5R .300WM with the 26" barrel. Buds has them for less than $850 right now, which is an absolute steal for what you get, even if you do have to swap the trigger...But you're going to have to do that on any new Remington 700 you buy, no matter how much it costs or what model it is.

Thanks for the great rundown MudRunner, that is very helpful. And thanks for the link to Bud's! It looks like they have this with the standard 26" barrel or with a 24" threaded barrel. I'm leaning toward the 24"...would I regret this? I'll most likely add a break and possibly even a suppressor someday.

Thanks for the great rundown MudRunner, that is very helpful. And thanks for the link to Bud's! It looks like they have this with the standard 26" barrel or with a 24" threaded barrel. I'm leaning toward the 24"...would I regret this? I'll most likely add a break and possibly even a suppressor someday.
For a magnum cartridge, you won't be getting the most out of it, by going with less than a 26" barrel...But it's all in personal preference. Not really sure Remington decided to only thread a 24" version, and not the 26" version (kind of stupid, IMO), but getting a barrel threaded later is not that difficult or that expensive. Also, unless you're adding a radial brake, you'll still need to have the brake timed by a gunsmith, so you'll probably need to have a smith fit it anyway...So, getting the 26" and having it threaded won't cost much more in that instance. Either way he'll be chucking it in the lathe and having to cut on it, might as well get the 26" and have it threaded. Just my thoughts.

If you plan on adding it later, and don't have a smith nearby, the 24" threaded might be best, but you will be losing about 100-150 fps of muzzle velocity over the 26" model.

Thanks again for all of the advice...just placed my order with Bud's for the 26" barrel. Feels like no risk at that price...

Now to chose a muzzle brake!

I too have the 5R in 300WM. You will not be close to your 7.5 lbs so consider where and the type of hunting you will be doing. This one hasn't been shot in about a year because the woods here in Virginia just don't let me get the long range. Too cumbersome for 100 yard hunting.

...But they are bada&@!!!

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks again for all of the advice...just placed my order with Bud's for the 26" barrel. Feels like no risk at that price...

Now to chose a muzzle brake!
Be sure to look at the Timney and Jewell triggers, as well. The stock X-Mark Pro triggers are junk. I replace all of mine before I ever even shoot the gun.

I don't shoot muzzle brakes on any of my bolt-actions, so I don't know what to recommend. I hear good things about the "Muscle Brake"...But no personal experience.

AZ WILDCAT, I'm a little late to this party, But, I definitely commend you on the Remington 5R 300 WM choice. I also have one, along with the 308, & 223 models, & after having my gunsmith thread & install a brake, its a pleasure to shoot, & quite accurate!!!! Idaho 5R

I too have the 5R in 300WM. You will not be close to your 7.5 lbs so consider where and the type of hunting you will be doing. This one hasn't been shot in about a year because the woods here in Virginia just don't let me get the long range. Too cumbersome for 100 yard hunting.

...But they are bada&@!!!

View attachment 80092

Yeah, I accepted that I wasn't getting to 7.5. Of course I can't find a 5R anywhere I can actually look at it, but Bass Pro had a Savage 111 LRH in stock with a 26" barrel and muzzle brake that weighed somewhere around 8.5 pounds which is at least what Remington claims the 5R weighs. I decided I could handle it both the weight and the shear size of a rifle with a 26" barrel + brake. I figure if I eventually decide I hate carrying it it shouldn't be too hard to sell it at pretty close to what I'll be in it for. I'm pretty excited to get to know this rifle.

Yours is a great looking firearm!

Be sure to look at the Timney and Jewell triggers, as well. The stock X-Mark Pro triggers are junk. I replace all of mine before I ever even shoot the gun.

I don't shoot muzzle brakes on any of my bolt-actions, so I don't know what to recommend. I hear good things about the "Muscle Brake"...But no personal experience.

Thanks. I'll most likely do the trigger but I figure I might as well shoot it with the factory trigger a few times to see what all the fuss is about.

Thanks. I'll most likely do the trigger but I figure I might as well shoot it with the factory trigger a few times to see what all the fuss is about.
In all fairness and disclosure, these factory 416R barrels really take about 50 rounds before they start settling in with the groups...Most factory barrels do. So don't be disappointed if it takes a few rounds to get them to settle in. My .308 Win took over 50 before it broke in. But once it did, it started shooting sub-1/2" groups. And with handloads I was able to get it to shoot sub-1/4" groups at 100.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.