Help identifyig a bullet make/brand?

Beelzebub

So I bought 100 bullets from Mid Way that were described as "seconds" I don't see anything wrong with them. But I am trying to identity the maker. They are .264, 129 grains, 1.340" long, no cannelure, boat tails, and have the very red ballistic tip. I'm 99% sure they are Hornady 129 grain Inter Bond bullets. But that is the only Hornady bullet I can find no length listed for.

Just want if I got a 75% off deal and them maybe figure out what the BC is. Any educated guess will be as good o better than mine.

tks in advance,
Beez

Run a .52 g1 bc. Should get you on target and you can make adjustments from there. Good luck!

Steve

Run a .52 g1 bc. Should get you on target and you can make adjustments from there. Good luck!

Steve
I'm really more interested in finding out if this is a target round or hunting round. I don't mind shooting steel or paper at 500 yards with a hunting bullet, but rather not shoot n 8 point at that range with a "paper bullet" So I'm really hoping these are Inter Bond bullets. Mid way doesn't list BC's on any of the bullets they sell under their name and in their blue boxes.

tks for your reply.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 170
I'm really more interested in finding out if this is a target round or hunting round. I don't mind shooting steel or paper at 500 yards with a hunting bullet, but rather not shoot n 8 point at that range with a "paper bullet" So I'm really hoping these are Inter Bond bullets. Mid way doesn't list BC's on any of the bullets they sell under their name and in their blue boxes.

tks for your reply.

Seconds, are just that and should not be used for hunting because they are seconds for Many reasons. I have bough them before in small quantities foe fire forming and brake In. I found many differences in weight, Ojive, length, jacket thickness, weight and many other problems that could/will effect accuracy so they are only for uses other than hunting and precision shooting in my opinion.

If/once you identify what they are you can look them up on midway and if you open the specification tab it will give you all the information you need/want. Hear is a link that May help.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...iameter-129-grain-bonded-boat-tail-box-of-100

J E CUSTOM

Seconds, are just that and should not be used for hunting because they are seconds for Many reasons. I have bough them before in small quantities foe fire forming and brake In. I found many differences in weight, Ojive, length, jacket thickness, weight and many other problems that could/will effect accuracy so they are only for uses other than hunting and precision shooting in my opinion.

If/once you identify what they are you can look them up on midway and if you open the specification tab it will give you all the information you need/want. Hear is a link that May help.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...iameter-129-grain-bonded-boat-tail-box-of-100

J E CUSTOM
I've tried this already. I even went to the Hornady site. They don't list bullet length for ANY of their bullets that I saw. Found a site that has lengths for some 2900+ projectiles. Most every Hornady bullet was listed except for the interbond and one other one.

So what you are saying is not to expect much out of them so far as a tight groups goes. And even if I do get a small group, the next one probably won't be. Makes since wen you consider everything that has to be perfect all at the same time as my eye and finger decide "it's time". ;-)

So I just talked to a great guy in the technical specs and told him what I had and what I was trying to find out. Of course he said he couldn't tell me for sure what bullet I had in my hand, but he could tell me the nominal length for the Hornady 129gr .264 caliber InterBond bullet was 1.350". I told him that I had looked every where on the internet to find the length and he said they don't and won't list it. He said he didn't know why, but that's the way it has been bee since it was developed.

So, I'm like 99.94% sure that I have in my had their InterBond bullet.

BC is .485

J E CUSTOM

That's not exactly true...

Sometimes it's just the wrong colored tip...which still makes a fine hunting bullet.

Sometimes they added a cannelure on accident...still makes a fine hunting bullet.

Nobody will know for sure until they get them, sort them and shoot them.

That's not exactly true...

Sometimes it's just the wrong colored tip...which still makes a fine hunting bullet.

Sometimes they added a cannelure on accident...still makes a fine hunting bullet.

Nobody will know for sure until they get them, sort them and shoot them.

and in this case, I believe (not 100% sure) that Hornady is discontinuing the 129 bondeds. so they may just be trying to unload a bunch. I bought 2 boxes of those from Midway and cant find anything wrong. I have weighed probably 20 and don't see any variances larger than any other hornady sample sizes I have weighed. Havent got to shoot any yet, but will try to this weekend and report back.

and in this case, I believe (not 100% sure) that Hornady is discontinuing the 129 bondeds. so they may just be trying to unload a bunch. I bought 2 boxes of those from Midway and cant find anything wrong. I have weighed probably 20 and don't see any variances larger than any other hornady sample sizes I have weighed. Havent got to shoot any yet, but will try to this weekend and report back.
Same here. Weighed about 20 and measured as many as I weighed. my average was more like 1.340" I just had surgery on my dominant shoulder last Thurs and not able to do much with it right now. Although I have taken it out of the sling long enough to do the weighing and measuring. My loading bench is as high as a counter top so I'm gonna wait a few more days till I go back to see my Doc and tells me to "articulate" the hell out of it.

Thanks all. Will post a picture if I get a group under .5". Hopefully it wont be hard to do.

this picture is with a 143 ELD-X

Attachments

• 15665585_689410567900002_651182883798269510_n.jpg
    15665585_689410567900002_651182883798269510_n.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 102
I've tried this already. I even went to the Hornady site. They don't list bullet length for ANY of their bullets that I saw. Found a site that has lengths for some 2900+ projectiles. Most every Hornady bullet was listed except for the interbond and one other one.

So what you are saying is not to expect much out of them so far as a tight groups goes. And even if I do get a small group, the next one probably won't be. Makes since wen you consider everything that has to be perfect all at the same time as my eye and finger decide "it's time". ;-)

Exactly !!!
I have used them many times for other uses but the occasional flyer prevented me from hunting with then for fear that the one shot I take at a game animal, might be the bad bullet.

Bullets are subject to many different problems during manufacturing and get rejected for anything that does not meet there specifications, the problem being that the consumer does not know "Why" the bullet was rejected and what was the reason for rejection.

We work hard and spend lots of money to have an accurate rifle and re loads, so I don't believe it is wise to use a bullet that doesn't meet the bullet makers specifications and risk the one chance of a clean kill for a bullet that cost 75% less than a prove quality bullet. Spending 1,000 to 8,000 dollars on a rifle and then feed it .25 Cent bullets for hunting or match shooting just does not compute in my opinion.

There are many other uses for seconds/blemish bullets.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Exactly !!!
I have used them many times for other uses but the occasional flyer prevented me from hunting with then for fear that the one shot I take at a game animal, might be the bad bullet.

Bullets are subject to many different problems during manufacturing and get rejected for anything that does not meet there specifications, the problem being that the consumer does not know "Why" the bullet was rejected and what was the reason for rejection.

We work hard and spend lots of money to have an accurate rifle and re loads, so I don't believe it is wise to use a bullet that doesn't meet the bullet makers specifications and risk the one chance of a clean kill for a bullet that cost 75% less than a prove quality bullet. Spending 1,000 to 8,000 dollars on a rifle and then feed it .25 Cent bullets for hunting or match shooting just does not compute in my opinion.

There are many other uses for seconds/blemish bullets.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Hard to disagree with anything you have said. My thought with these is to use for plinking, sight in, etc. If after 50 rounds or so I see consistency, I will probably develop a hunting load for whitetail. Where I hunt every shot is 100 yds or less. I would never use them on a "hunt of a lifetime" or if I didn't think I could make a quick, clean, humane kill.

I only wish that I were a good enough shooter that I never get an occasional flyer. That being said, sort em and shoot em. That will tell the story. There are many reasons for companies designating bullets as seconds. Some reasons are very insignificant, some for reasons very detrimental to accuracy/performance. I haven't purchased many, but enough to have seen first hand both ends of the spectrum. The last ones I tried we're so all over the place spec wise, the only practical use would be for fire forming. IMHO If yours pass sorting scrutiny, group well and expand reliably, take em to the woods. Then again, please remember that I don't have any expert credentials and haven't stayed at Holiday Inn Express. I am frugal though :D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.