30-06 load make up help

I have a correction. The sierra manual was developed with a savage 116 with 1-10 twist and a 26in barrel not 24in, sorry about that

Just to bolster the 200gr side...

Using Berger's numbers from 1st Edition a 30/06 tosses a 210gr VLD 308 at a max of 2588 fps. That seems a little low but we'll use it. It carries 1810fps to 625 yards where it develops 1528 ftlbs of energy. Most sources list 1500 ftlbs as minimum for elk. So I would say a 210 Berger VLD 308 is good to go for the 30/06 to beyond 600 yards. Above data generated with the G7 BC.

KB

sierra manual list 200gr. Smks and gamekings 53.7gr. Imr4350 2700fps seems like a faster horse to me
having fired a 200 grain partition, 59.0 h-4831 2600 fps, out of my 700 ti (5.9 lbs) and my rem mtn ( 6.1 lbs)
;........... i would prefer to shoot that one out of a 9 lb 700 long range. grin

having fired a 200 grain partition, 59.0 h-4831 2600 fps, out of my 700 ti (5.9 lbs) and my rem mtn ( 6.1 lbs)
;........... i would prefer to shoot that one out of a 9 lb 700 long range. grin
working to find a good load with 200gr. Smks found one after about 40 rounds 53gr. Imr4350 TC venture by the time I got done my shoulder definitely knew it shot 40 200 grainers lol...

So I finally made it out to the range and shot 10 separate loads using 2 separate powders. (50 rounds total not including the sight in rounds)(49g-53g) Imr 4350 and H414. Nosler 200g Accu-bond. Both shot similar with the IMR edging out the h414. The two most accurate charges were the 49g and the 52g. I know that after all the shooting I was starting to fatigue and cant really rule out that the H414 was in fact less accurate. My groups were 5 shot groups where two rounds would basically make one hole and then a stray round and the another hole to the right made by the last two rounds. My riffle has the standard 6+ lb trigger and I think that the loads to the right were from me pulling that$ #%$%@$ trigger. Any way I am going to load up some Berger 168 hunting classics and see what I can get from them. I thought that I read on this thread where guys are using magnum primers with max or near max loads. I have even heard some using compressed loads with above max recommended loads. What are your takes on this( Magnum primers in a non magnum riffle)?

My personal decision point is 60 grains of powder. If I am hunting with the load 55 grains of powder warrants a magnum primer. But >60 is for sure for sure. Be advised that magnum primers vary in power. You can use this to balance the increase of pop to the amount of powder. My experience is:

CCI 250 (LOWEST)
WLRM
Rem 9 1/2 M
Federal #215M (Highest)

Remington 9 1/2M's have delivered for me in 30/06.

KB

i would not use Magnum primers in 30-06 . especailly with 4350. raises pressure velocity and ES. adjusting the remingotn trigger is easy i have done 80-100. they are great, google it . remington crisp.

Ok I have made my trigger to just over 3lbs and am going to stick with the LR CCI BR2 primers and work up a load with the Berger VLD hunting classics. I hope I can find the sweet spot with this load.:Dgun)

Getn- i load 030 off for hunting , 010 off for matches. ron

Thanks I was thinking of starting off the lands at 020 and work from there once I find the right amount of powder for the load.

I just realized that I am shooting the Hunting classics and not a VLD. So why would a classic hunter (Non VLD) have a slightly higher BC than that of the same grain in a VLD?
Example:
Berger 168g Hunting Classic 0.496
Berger 168g Hunting VLD 0.473
Both are match grade. I thought that the VLD (very low drag) gave it a better ballistic co-efficient?

No magic in 030 i just use it as a starting point for hunting loads; because i don't want to be so close i pull a bullet out of a casing when i unloadand end up with powder going every where . the bullet shapes are every so slightly different. i bet they both shoot good though. when are you shooting??

I will make up the test loads today and then I will try to find a time in the next two weeks to get out and give it a go. The weather here has been rainy and windy on the days that I could shoot. I also have a 10 year old son with a turkey tag and this is his very first hunt where he gets to shoot. I need to make sure we get out for him before I devote all my time to this load development. So If I can get him out for a day or two and actually get into the turkeys my days will open up more for this cause.:D

Getn- snowed here a little last night. it is great going out with the son!! the trigger sounds a lot better.

Getn- snowed here a little last night. it is great going out with the son!! the trigger sounds a lot better.

The trigger feels a lot better.
I was just reading the recommended twist for the bullet that I will be shooting is a 1-13 and my stock barrel is a 1-10 twist. Do you think that the faster twist of my barrel is going to throw off the accuracy making it unstable in flight?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.