30-06 load

squirrelduster

We are planning on working up a load for my brothers 30-06 with a 24" 1:10 twist.
Any recommendations on powder to try with a 180 grain Accubond?

Thanks in advance.

Powder choices

Great choice of bullet, so use a powder between IMR 4350 and Reloader 22, set length for magazine and function, then work up. Some powders will be much better in the barrel than others. In my '06 Ackley IMR 4831 is the most accurate, while R22 is the fastest. IMR 4350 was a standard for many years and should not be discounted from an acuracy point of view. I use standard primers unless a charge weight exceeds 60 grains, or the temperatures are below 20 degrees F.

Been loading the 30 06 for many years mostly 165gr noslers BT & Partitions tried some RL17 this fall it is by far the best powder for the 3006 I have used , for best speed & accuracy good luck.
manitou

Another vote for RL17. Dont load for the 30-06, but do load for the 300 WSM and 25-06 (.06 case) and RL17 boosted velocity by 200 fps with each rifle. Dont know about the temp stability though.

The 180 E-Tips have an advertised BC of .523 vs the 180 AB's with a .507 BC. Not a big diff but everything counts. I find they shoot well.

Mark

My best results have come with RL17. I am loading the 180 grain accubonds at 2820 FPS from a 22"barrel and am grouping under 1/2" on calm days at 100 yds.

I would suggest looking at the new 168 grain etip. I have been loading the 168 grain ballistic tip at 3012 fps average and hope be able to get the e tip to 3,000. With its .503 BC its external ballistics would run circles around the 180 accubonds and should outpenetrate the accubond with its 95% weight retention. It will maintain the minimum impact velocity at greater distances than the accubond due to its higher muzzle velocity.

At any rate my max charge with the 180 accubond was 56.5 grains RL17, 200 CCI primers, and an OAL of 3.410. I am guessing the pressure is pushing 65kpsi so this is probably a load only for rifles also chambered in 270 winchester.

Howdy,

WHOAAAAH! HOLD ON FOLKS!!!!!

Squirrelduster, you are getting very good advice from well meaning folks, BUT they don't have enough information. All these well meaning, expert reloaders are ASSUMING that you are reloading for a bolt action rifle. You did not specify in your original question. If it is indeed a bolt action, then feel free to proceed right along; HOWEVER, if it is a semi-auto, pump, or single shot action hold up there.

A gas operated semi-auto really needs a powder on the order of 4895 to make the gas operated action work correctly. A slower burning powder (like the ones that have been recommended) will harm your rifle after too many shots; in fact, your semi-auto action probably will not cycle correctly with a slower powder.

I have no experience with single shots, but my 'smith tells me that they should be loaded similar to a sem-auto.

What ever you do, work your loads up carefully from a minimum load. Most important of all...... ENJOY THE PROCESS!

Good shooting.

Coach

I second (or third) the use of RL 17! 54.5 grains with a CCI 200 primer and a 180 grain NAB is a deadly combo for a bolt action. You might get more RL 17 in the case, but 54.5 was more accurate. As for cycling through a semi auto etc, just load in 0.5 grain increments and work up to see what works best for your rifle. No big deal. Can't go wrong with RL 22 , or the more traditional powders like IMR 4831 or or 4350 either

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.