Help!! First long range rifle. Issue with Vortex PST vs EGR rings and base

Depending on what YOU call "long range" you can easily read on EGW's website that if you arent shooting any further than 600 yards..you dont even NEED a rail..!!

I'm not sure where the problem lies.

The 20moa EGW base put my 200yd zero at the very bottem of PST. That would have been fine but cranked all the way down like that the scope didn't fiction correctly on low power.
I bought a zero MOA base and that extra 20MOA was what I needed. Now it's perfect.

If my barrel is canted I'll be shooting lower then what the ballistic comp says right?
I hope not.

I have my zero at 200 yds. maybe that is why I don't have that problem. Why do you need a 100 yd. zero if you are going to shoot long range?

joseph

PS: When I put mine at 6 power I don't notice any of those things. Maybe because of the way I have my zero stop shimmed?

My zero is at 200. My PST won't work properly on low power under 2 revelations on the elevation dial. I don't like that about the PST. If I have adjustment it should function the same at any spot. I can live with it where it's at now. I bought this rifle for long range to me anything beyond 500 yards is better then what I've ever done. I worry now about the barrel angle.

I'm headed to my lease tomorrow to hunt axis and fallow deer. While there I'm going to set up some long range targets and use my ballistics program to compute MOA. I'm so pumped cause this will be my first time doing this. I'm guessing it won't work right if my barrel is off like that.

Bruce if the barrel is off it would shoot higher then it's supposed to right?

Don't sweat it, your GTG and the barrel being clocked up is no issue and it does not affect external ballistics, once your zeroed that's it rock it!!!!gun)

Like bigngreen said, you're GTG with the barrel canted up. As i understand it, the rifle is shooting small groups with the ammo you like. You can zero at 200 yds, and there is enough "usable" internal adjustment to get out to long range. Just range the target, dial in the elevation adjustment from your ballistic computer, hold for wind, and you'll should be on target.

Do you have accurate MV and bullet drop values for the altitude you're hunting?

Looking forward to a hunting report with pictures!

Went hunting last week end but had to come home early. I only hunted one time. I spotted a group of seven axis feeding 560 yards away from my tower blind. I am new at the ballistics program. I use Ballistic FTE it's an I phone ap. It was figuring out the whether data as the axis fed out if sight. Finally I got my trajectory chart but they were gone. As the sun set in the west they popped out 300 yards away below it. I couldn't see them in the scope.. No sun screen. I used my hand to cover but then wasn't real steady. Didn't feel good about the shot so I passed. Then off to the east I saw a big mob of pigs at 187yards. I dropped the biggest one.
This forum doesn't have tappa talk or I'd post some pics. I will later today at my pc.

Anyway I had to leave the next morning but before I did I set out a top of a 30 gallon drum at 550 yards. Did used the chart on my phone. 9.3 MOA. I drilled it.

Ok now I'm totally hooked. Pics to come

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts