Heavy for caliber vs. high velocity monos

After having bullet performance that wasn't to my liking from my .257 Wby, I started to use mono copper bullets. Same for my .243.

BUT, my question to everyone that shoots mono's at game is this: At what impact velocity do you say "that's not enough fps @ impact to make the bullet expand enough"? I know Barnes is right around 1,900 fps impact speed, what about the other mono bullets out there? I use Barnes in my .243 and don't plan on shooting it past 300 yds on game (85g TSX @ 3250 fps mv). I use the .243 for whitetails, and I could have them at 20 yds or 200 yds.
Barnes is a fine Bullet but they react different depending where they hit, Hammers are dead consistent

After having bullet performance that wasn't to my liking from my .257 Wby, I started to use mono copper bullets. Same for my .243.

BUT, my question to everyone that shoots mono's at game is this: At what impact velocity do you say "that's not enough fps @ impact to make the bullet expand enough"? I know Barnes is right around 1,900 fps impact speed, what about the other mono bullets out there? I use Barnes in my .243 and don't plan on shooting it past 300 yds on game (85g TSX @ 3250 fps mv). I use the .243 for whitetails, and I could have them at 20 yds or 200 yds.
Rule of thumb...when speed hits sub-sonic....1160 fps ....just me

I know Steve at Hammer Bullets suggests a minimum of 1800 fps for expansion

Then eassup...plug this info into your Ballistic program and you will have max kill distance....well above sub sonic! Thanks Dougduey

I don't know how the G7 BC of the 7mm hammer 177g bullet at 3495 fps compares to the 7mm 195g Berger EOL at 3225 fps. I am just guessing at the fps of the Hammer, but the accuracy node of a 7mm 175g SMK in my gun was 3495 fps.

Can someone tell me at what distance the Hammer would drop below 1800fps at that MV? Elevation is 800'.

I've not shot a live critter yet with the 195g EOL, but both Elk at 708 and a coyote at 867 yds have dropped in their tracks with a 180g Berger Hunting VLD @ mv of 3375 fps. The coyote was at 1,129' elevation, the elk was right at 5,000' (at -8°F on the thermometer).

Can someone tell me at what distance the Hammer would drop below 1800fps at that MV? Elevation is 800'.
Here is a drop chart of your load at the average pressure at 800 ft elevation. Around 875.
Screenshot_20210219-225032_Applied Ballistics.jpg

Put them in your ballistics app and compare drop, velocity at impact, energy at impact. At the ranges that you would realistically shoot an animal.

I did all that prior and the answer was they all had a max terminal range within 50 yards of each other past 700 yards so all three would work for my application.

My question was more in regards to the terminal performance on game with higher velocity impacts. For years I hunted with a .30-06 shooting 150gr bullets around 3000 fps, the past two years I've switched to my 6.5 PRC shooting the 123gr bullets at 3200 to 3400 fps and of the 4 animals I've shot I can't say I noticed any difference in their reactions.

So what I really want to know is if there is a certain fps you have to impact at to get a better terminal shock or is it generally the same once regardless of speed once you reach a certain point?

I did all that prior and the answer was they all had a max terminal range within 50 yards of each other past 700 yards so all three would work for my application.

My question was more in regards to the terminal performance on game with higher velocity impacts. For years I hunted with a .30-06 shooting 150gr bullets around 3000 fps, the past two years I've switched to my 6.5 PRC shooting the 123gr bullets at 3200 to 3400 fps and of the 4 animals I've shot I can't say I noticed any difference in their reactions.

So what I really want to know is if there is a certain fps you have to impact at to get a better terminal shock or is it generally the same once regardless of speed once you reach a certain point?
Your on the right track, there is no app that will figure velocity impact that I know of, there is a small group that has worked extensively on this with Hammer Bullets and the results are undeniable Speed Kills

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.