Heavy for caliber vs. high velocity monos

LongWalker

Not looking for a this is better than that fight, more interested in why you like and what success you've had with heavy for caliber/high BC bullets vs. high velocity solids. I'm sure quite a few folks run both and it would be interesting to hear why you selected a particular option for a particular rifle/cartridge.

Full disclosure I run primarily heavy for caliber Berger's and recently worked up a great load in a short barrel (18") .308 with the 151 Absolute Hammer. It was shooting so well my neighbor wore me out until I sold him the rifle so I didn't have the chance to take any game with it.

I have a very good friend who has tested tons of stuff and killed a ungodly amount of critters with about everything you can imagine and his go to rifle right now is the 300RUM with the 124 Hammer Hunter
Any velocity numbers?

I was looking at the 152 for a new 300 Win. Now 124gr sounds interesting.

Great topic.

I would encourage you to check out the MERC tool.

I could not get my new 25-06 build to shoot the 131 blackjack bullets (.340 g7 at about 3150) accurately so I started looking at other options. Now shooting badlands precision copper SBD2 (.292 g7) at 3300fps. I figured there's no way the lower BC copper bullet would compete at long range hunting distance.

What you're seeing is basically identical hit percentage at distance in a 15mph cross wind. I was surprised but I think to an extent, you CAN overcome lower BC with some speed...terminal performance is a different topic.
image.jpg

Great topic.

I would encourage you to check out the MERC tool.

I could not get my new 25-06 build to shoot the 131 blackjack bullets (.340 g7 at about 3150) accurately so I started looking at other options. Now shooting badlands precision copper SBD2 (.292 g7) at 3300fps. I figured there's no way the lower BC copper bullet would compete at long range hunting distance.

What you're seeing is basically identical hit percentage at distance in a 15mph cross wind. I was surprised but I think to an extent, you CAN overcome lower BC with some speed...terminal performance is a different topic.
View attachment 253064
This is exactly the way I think and shoot, 25-06AI with the 90 AH is unreal

142 HH in 28 nosler at a mild 3500fps. Zero at 300 hold hair to just over 400. Very accurate to over 700, but falls on its face beyond that. Also load 180 VLDH. They don't fall on their face. The HHs, I don't worry about running them too fast at impact velocity, they seem to like it. The Bergers, well they just shoot so dang good at LR, it's tough to not shoot them. In north Idaho, shots are either 10' or 1000 yds it seems. I pack both.

142 HH in 28 nosler at a mild 3500fps. Zero at 300 hold hair to just over 400. Very accurate to over 700, but falls on its face beyond that. Also load 180 VLDH. They don't fall on their face. The HHs, I don't worry about running them too fast at impact velocity, they seem to like it. The Bergers, well they just shoot so dang good at LR, it's tough to not shoot them. In north Idaho, shots are either 10' or 1000 yds it seems. I pack both.
How does your zero compare between the two? Do you just have one zeroed and zero dope memorized for other one then dial/hold from there?

I am glad to see that I am not they only one who enjoys this type of shooting. When ever I have contributed to a post or thread about this style of loading and shooting it seems to fall flat. Oh well I shoot and load over 40 different calibers all over 4000fps except for one my 308 which is maxed out @3800fps with a full case of 4198. Not for lack of trying.LOL

Dean

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts