Heaviest bullet to 4,000FPS

Not the biggest or fastest but I'm surprised Nosler and weatherby haven't put out out light fast monos for their new creations. The 6.5-300 wby should be able to push a 100 ttsx to 4K, did the math, around 3500 foot pounds of energy so not at all an out to lunch expectation. I
See little stopping the 27 Nosler from doing the same thing with a 110 ttsx. Perhaps the twist rates set up for heavies wouldn't result
In good accuracy.
The 124 Hammer 6.5 runs well with a 1-6" twist I wouldn't expect twist to be a issue even with the lighter choice such as the 110.

Another good example of the vertues of RL17 over H4350 which is right next to RL17 on the burn rate chart. If you look at Hogdons site a 270 with 62gr of H4350 will exit at 3600 with a 24" barrel. I was at the range this morning and was sending them down range at 300yards on to the steel plate, and one guy came up to me and was shooting the breeze and said what you shooting there, you seem to be sending them petty fast but yet the plates are swinging pretty good "there heavy" I said it's a 270 Win he looked at me with a odd look and I said oh I am shooting 90gr HPs he said "90s won't make the plates swing that hard" I said yeah but I am sending them over 4000fps. He chuckled there is no way a 270 shoots anything at 4000fps, Then one of the range officers came over and he told him what I said. he was very diplomatic and said sir shooter always think there rounds go faster than they really are. Then I saw a guy with a chrony about 15 benches over and went over to him and asked if I could send a few over it he said no problem. Well the first one I sent displayed 4040 and the second one was 4044,
just before I sent the third one I looked over and he was gone.LOL the range oficer was speachless and when he finally did speak all he could say was well I'll be d@mn. Anyways my 270 has a 30" 11 twist barrel that I load 64gr of RL17 instead of the 62 gr of H4350 which gives me 450more fps with 6" of barrel and 2gr of powder.

Dean

PS: I had my Nightforce 42 power BR on the 270 when this was all going down, and the chrony guy said "you put a Nightforce on a 270 I don't think that has ever been done before" after he saw the number he said I stand corrected.LOL

Last edited:
Another good example of the vertues of RL17 over H4350 which is right next to RL17 on the burn rate chart. If you look at Hogdons site a 270 with 62gr of H4350 will exit at 3600 with a 24" barrel. I was at the range this morning and was sending them down range at 300yards on to the steel plate, and one guy came up to me and was shooting the breeze and said what you shooting there, you seem to be sending them petty fast but the plates are swinging pretty good "there heavy" I said it's a 270 Win he looked at me with a odd look and I said oh I am shooting 90gr HPs he said "90s won't make the plates swing that hard" I said yeah but I am sending them over 4000fps. He chuckled there is no way a 270 shoots anything at 4000fps, Then one of the range officers came over and he told him what I said. he was very diplomatic and said sir shooter always think there rounds go faster than they really are. Then I saw a guy with a chrony about 15 benches over and went over to him and asked if I could send a few over it he said no problem. Well the first one I sent displayed 4040 and the second one was 4044,
just before I sent the third one I looked over and he was gone.LOL the range oficer was speachless and when he finally did speak all he could say was well I'll be d@mn. Anyways my 270 has a 30" 11 twist barrel that I load 64gr of RL17 instead of the 62 gr of H4350 which gives me 450more fps with 6" of barrel and 2gr of powder.

Dean

PS: I had my Nightforce 42 power BR on the 270 when this was all going down, and the chrony guy said "you put a Nightforce on a 270 I don't think that has ever been done before" after he saw the number he said I stand corrected.LOL
Love me a 270

560 lbs per second! How many seconds of ammunition do they carry?
Only about 1350 rds @ 3900 rds/min use to be much faster pre `90s(currently 65/sec)usualy a combat mix of API-DU/He 4:1 (similar to M240 ball to tracer mix) and they tend to be shot in 1-2 sec bursts Its a very unique sound. Not to mention the A10 still has 11 hard points for heavy muntions. 4 under each wing & 3 under fuselage. Each can carry various multi-rocket pods or single load such as various JDAMS, unguided guided bombs, air to air air to ground missiles. Drop fuel tanks. They are the ultimate ground support/attack airframe that has ever existed IMO.

Another good example of the vertues of RL17 over H4350 which is right next to RL17 on the burn rate chart. If you look at Hogdons site a 270 with 62gr of H4350 will exit at 3600 with a 24" barrel. I was at the range this morning and was sending them down range at 300yards on to the steel plate, and one guy came up to me and was shooting the breeze and said what you shooting there, you seem to be sending them petty fast but the plates are swinging pretty good "there heavy" I said it's a 270 Win he looked at me with a odd look and I said oh I am shooting 90gr HPs he said "90s won't make the plates swing that hard" I said yeah but I am sending them over 4000fps. He chuckled there is no way a 270 shoots anything at 4000fps, Then one of the range officers came over and he told him what I said. he was very diplomatic and said sir shooter always think there rounds go faster than they really are. Then I saw a guy with a chrony about 15 benches over and went over to him and asked if I could send a few over it he said no problem. Well the first one I sent displayed 4040 and the second one was 4044,

Dean

That is smoking. Suprised at the vel they were not punchn holes or at least cracking up the plate

While we're talking velocity, there's a video or two on YouTube by a guy who experimented with those accelerator type sabots in a .300 win mag. Not at all a heavy bullet BUT he hits 5100 FPS 😱🔥. Stupid fast. Not very accurate. Pretty sure (if I recall correctly) it melts holes ar500 plates. On hard targets speed is everything. The needless and excessive profanity in the vid is annoying but can be overlooked in the name of "research".

Only about 1350 rds @ 3900 rds/min use to be much faster pre `90s(currently 65/sec)usualy a combat mix of API-DU/He 4:1 (similar to M240 ball to tracer mix) and they tend to be shot in 1-2 sec bursts Its a very unique sound. Not to mention the A10 still has 11 hard points for heavy muntions. 4 under each wing & 3 under fuselage. Each can carry various multi-rocket pods or single load such as various JDAMS, unguided guided bombs, air to air air to ground missiles. Drop fuel tanks. They are the ultimate ground support/attack airframe that has ever existed IMO.
That is still very fast fire with heavy rounds it's hard to imagine the machinery involved to load, chamber and fire at 65 per second. I'm a mechanic and figured out a long time ago 7000 rpm is over a 116 revolutions a second. I have heard and saw a video of the m61 Vulcan 20 mm cannon it sounded like a buzz saw through steel. It was wicked.

I concur

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.