Heaviest bullet to 4,000FPS

Ok here we go this is three cases of each the 300 rum holds 115gr of water, and the 338 Edge holds 120gr. Just a note I don't make my 338 Edge brass from necking up 300 Rum brass, I use 375RUM brass and neck it down. I don't know if it makes a difference or not I am just trying to be consistent.

Dean

plus they are also good for driving my cat bonkers.LOL

Dean
Hahaha this sounds at least as fun as sighting a gun in.

have a cousin who used a laser to verify his shop was skunk-free in a similar manner to this. He had seen a skunk on his yard that morning and no clue where it went/if it went or was "still lurking about" (as Daffy Duck would say). He was afraid to enter his garage for obvious reasons and used a laser pointer to get one of their farm cats' attention....got said cat to chase the laser into the shed and waited a few. When no chaos ensued he deemed it safe.

These are some of the bullets that I pulled on the left is a 160gr Barnes TTSX and on the right 110gr Sierra, look at case mark on the 110gr bullet my take is that is why I can run that much powder by the time it starts to build any type of serious pressure the bullet has already left the case.
I just measured it .125 that's all, Compared to the 160gr .500

Dean
IMG_0358 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I tell ya the bolt lift is easy and the primers are just a little flat, I am sure there is excessive pressure but it seems to handle it fine. Hence my Thread "Varmint 300 RUM" that I put up early'r today.

Dean

Chiming in again here...i guess I'm starting to get on board with scope eyes theory about being able to get away with this only with light bullets of short bearing surface on account that even though his loads simply have to be wildly overpressure per saami specs, the "area under the curve" of that peak maybe isn't as much and that's why he's not getting primers popping out or bolts froze shut (or embedded in his cranium)

it would make sense that it's not just about peak psi but how long said psi is sustained for.

when I consider what rifles have to be proven safe with, proof loads, and when I read about what they did to prove the strength of the weatherby mark 5 action back in the day (lodge a bullet down the bore then fire a proof load cartridge out of it...gun was inoperable after but the action did not blow up if i recall...estimated 200kpsi) I must conclude that the 65 kpsi limit applies to brass integrity and smooth operability more than the actions ability to handle it. The wby m5 is indeed strong but it's also been established its not stronger than most others by that huge of a margin. Rarely do all 9 lugs truly lock up, if anything is suspect a well made 2 lug to be more failsafe. The only times I've got sticky bolts or blown a primer where with 180+ grain bullets in my 300 win. I've also observed the so called pressure signs on factory ammo, again now that I think of it with 180s at a very anemic 2960 FPS but ran 150 gr handloads to 3450 with no signs. I believe those loads MUST have hit greater pressure despite this, and it wasn't a problem.

scope eye...I think you're really onto something with this theory.

I'm still nervous for your sake about these numbers you post, same with your 300 rum post. Impressive as all get out, I believe you and your chrono are telling the truth, I know you have way more experience than I do. But both my brain and my gut are saying YIKES!

my brain and my gut are often wrong too. I need to revisit some light weight at warp experimentation. Safety of course.

Chiming in again here...i guess I'm starting to get on board with scope eyes theory about being able to get away with this only with light bullets of short bearing surface on account that even though his loads simply have to be wildly overpressure per saami specs, the "area under the curve" of that peak maybe isn't as much and that's why he's not getting primers popping out or bolts froze shut (or embedded in his cranium)

it would make sense that it's not just about peak psi but how long said psi is sustained for.

when I consider what rifles have to be proven safe with, proof loads, and when I read about what they did to prove the strength of the weatherby mark 5 action back in the day (lodge a bullet down the bore then fire a proof load cartridge out of it...gun was inoperable after but the action did not blow up if i recall...estimated 200kpsi) I must conclude that the 65 kpsi limit applies to brass integrity and smooth operability more than the actions ability to handle it. The wby m5 is indeed strong but it's also been established its not stronger than most others by that huge of a margin. Rarely do all 9 lugs truly lock up, if anything is suspect a well made 2 lug to be more failsafe. The only times I've got sticky bolts or blown a primer where with 180+ grain bullets in my 300 win. I've also observed the so called pressure signs on factory ammo, again now that I think of it with 180s at a very anemic 2960 FPS but ran 150 gr handloads to 3450 with no signs. I believe those loads MUST have hit greater pressure despite this, and it wasn't a problem.

I'm still nervous for your sake about these numbers you post, same with your 300 rum post. Impressive as all get out, I believe you and your chrono are telling the truth, I know you have way more experience than I do. But both my brain and my gut are saying YIKES!

my brain and my gut are often wrong too. I need to revisit some light weight at warp experimentation. Safety of course.
I'm pushing Hammers Freaky fast simply due the the low PDR

I know where your coming from, and if it was something I brainstormed last week well then lets not kid ourselves. I would thing the guy has a death wish or has suicidal tendency but that's not the case. I have been doing this for 30 years and have been honing my skill since then.

Dean

I lowest I can get it down to is 87,000.

What is your velocity with the 110gr TTSX?
Same as the Sierra 110gr
Check out this thread

Dean

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.