Heat Bluing, or Oil Bluing Remington Bolt

4ked Horn

Is is safe to bring a Remington chrome moly bolt body (Firing pin, spring, and shroud all removed) to 520-560 degrees to give it a purple color without damaging it or messing with the metallurgy? I want to make a bolt purple without making it unsafe.

Are Remington chrome moly bolts hardened/tempered in any way from the factory?

I would never personally heat any part of an action or bolt except maybe the back of the bolt to weld/solder a bolt handle on where the loss of heat treat does not effect the strength on the bolt or action where it sees all of the pressure results.

There are temperatures that may not hurt the integrity of the action but if control of the heating is not precise, only bad things can happen.

One of our experts in this area is Shortgrass and he does case hardening and other coating/color changes on actions so I would PM him and get his opinion. (Maybe he will chime in). I am much to conservative for some of the processes that require heating the action or bolt, so I have to ask an expert.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks guys. I was leaning toward the "not" option unless I got a few positive replies that it was fine from people in the know. I think we're going to have it professionally blued instead. Hmmm, I wonder if anyone here at LRH has a jeweled bolt that is blued gloss black that would be willing to post a picture for me. Well, off to post that question. Thanks again for your thoughts!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts