Barrel bluing

Smokestick

lightbulblightbulbI have a chrome moly barrel in the white. What is the best diy way to protect the barrel and renew the action finish?

shortgrass

The DYS way is either slow rust bluing or a spray on coating. Both require equipment and a bit of know-how. The "bluing in a bottle" is best left where ya' find it.

Rock 29

I use Duracoat, simple prep and easy to put on. You can now buy it in pre measured aerosol can so you don't even have to measure and mix.

Gene

The OP may have a cheap barrel not worth sending to a smith. Some years ago, I had a cheap H&R .223 that was left in a soft gun case and the barrel rusted. I bought a Blue Wonder kit and followed the instructions. It took quite a while to finish just the barrel. Think I made 16 passes. But when finished, it looked pretty darn good.

Dosh

Smokestick, 1 vote for Cerakote. I had a .257 Wby done 5 years ago when I found rust after a wet hunt. The finish is still scratch-free and looks like new. The only problem with Cerakote is choosing from the vast variety of colors. Tough stuff

shortgrass

The bottom line,,, there's no fast, easy , cheap way..... If you view your firearms as nothing more than tools paint from WallyWorld will work. If you value them as more than that, spend a few 'bucks' and have the finish of your choice applied properly.