Barrel bluing

Smokestick

lightbulblightbulbI have a chrome moly barrel in the white. What is the best diy way to protect the barrel and renew the action finish?

The OP may have a cheap barrel not worth sending to a smith. Some years ago, I had a cheap H&R .223 that was left in a soft gun case and the barrel rusted. I bought a Blue Wonder kit and followed the instructions. It took quite a while to finish just the barrel. Think I made 16 passes. But when finished, it looked pretty darn good.

Smokestick, 1 vote for Cerakote. I had a .257 Wby done 5 years ago when I found rust after a wet hunt. The finish is still scratch-free and looks like new. The only problem with Cerakote is choosing from the vast variety of colors. Tough stuff

The bottom line,,, there's no fast, easy , cheap way..... If you view your firearms as nothing more than tools paint from WallyWorld will work. If you value them as more than that, spend a few 'bucks' and have the finish of your choice applied properly.

The bottom line,,, there's no fast, easy , cheap way..... If you view your firearms as nothing more than tools paint from WallyWorld will work. If you value them as more than that, spend a few 'bucks' and have the finish of your choice applied properly.
I disagree

There is a fast easy and cheap way which I kept a secret for years, it's Dupli-Color Low Gloss Black engine enamel DE1634. Bake in an oven for two hours at 300F, most people will never know it's not traditional blue, and it stands up well to heavy use. Rub oil on it to enhance the final finish.

s8pb2BN2.jpg

Tip ! Follow the instruction on the can,but bake at 100 F for the first 30 minutes otherwise you will stink to house out.
Best of all leave it till the woman has gone out for the day.

Last edited: