hearing aids anyone ?

From personal experience, do not scrimp on hearing aids! Go to a professional and pay for the best ones you can afford. There is a really good youtube chanel (I'll find it and put in a link) and he has some very good information you should look at. I opted for the Oticon Opn 1 and could not be happier with them. They are fairly pricey though. I honestly don't know how I even heard before. I also suffer from fairly severe tinnitus and the hearing aids have softened it right up.
I wear a set of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X ear muffs over my hearing aids when rifle hunting without any issues. I thought I'd have feedback (squeal) but I don't get even a little bit.

The youtube channel is Dr. Cliff, Aud
I also have the Oticon and can vouch for there effectiveness.

When you get the aids wear them religiously for 6 months. I hear new wearers all the time complain that they hear to much background noise. The people that can hear excellent hear that also but their brain has learned to only listen to what they want to hear. Your brain needs to relearn to do this. Worked for me.

Approaching 70 years old, I have about 30% hearing in my left ear, 70% in my right. For competition, I use electronic ear muffs, sometimes with plugs. For the open area, and low frequency of shots for hunting, I have found the Sound Gear, electronic ear plugs work quite well. My hearing level quality in the field is very good, and I usually forget that I have them in. For cold weather hunting they are convenient for use with hoods or hats with ear covering.

Thank you for valuable insights. I bought a pair of the fanciest, blue tooth enabled, custom fitted hearing aids, which cost $4000! And I seldom wear them because they don't make much difference and are uncomfortable after about 4 hours. There has to be a less expensive alternative.

Yes, the Otto Noisebarrier, about $500 for a set which includes charger, etc. Read post #22.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.