HBN Bullet Coating

Hbn cuts down the SD. Pressure that it takes to obturate the bullet in the barrel is greatly reduced, thus the burning chamber is extended over a longer distance.

Same goes for coating a bullet with Lee Sizing wax, SD goes way down less than 10 fps, but you have to work up a load for the coated bullets. In my 6ppc and 6 BR's, I got ES down to less than 3 fps on waxed bullets.

Somebody oughta' try coating some bullets with Motor Mica. I dust the inside of necks to prevent weld.
Made me look!!

"Motor Mica is sometimes refered to as White Graphite. It has the same molecular structure as graphite, but isn't graphite; it is hexagonal boron nitride, a high temperature lubricant.

I use to use Frankford Moly and I had great success with it. I had a dedicated tumbler bowl that I'd tumble my bullets in after I had cleaned them, but in the last few years I cannot get the moly to stick to the newer bullets for some reason. I've tried different cleaners, alcohol is what I used to use, but so far nothing seems to work anymore. I've even found some new tubs of the moly and tried it and it does not stick to the newer bullets. When I say newer bullets I'm really talking about Nosler BT, it just will not stick to them anymore. I've contacted Nosler and they say nothing has changed on their side but I feel like the china copper we get these days is not the same as what I use to coat.

Attachments

• Frankford Moly.png
    Frankford Moly.png
    210.9 KB · Views: 23
I use to use Frankford Moly and I had great success with it. I had a dedicated tumbler bowl that I'd tumble my bullets in after I had cleaned them, but in the last few years I cannot get the moly to stick to the newer bullets for some reason. I've tried different cleaners, alcohol is what I used to use, but so far nothing seems to work anymore. I've even found some new tubs of the moly and tried it and it does not stick to the newer bullets. When I say newer bullets I'm really talking about Nosler BT, it just will not stick to them anymore. I've contacted Nosler and they say nothing has changed on their side but I feel like the china copper we get these days is not the same as what I use to coat.
I don't know what it is but i sure have noticed that difference! I have some older 95 .243 ballistiv tips that coated/treated perfectly and the new 100 gr .257s I treated are still different than when I opened the box but it's just different. I'll post a side by side pic later.

I don't know what it is but i sure have noticed that difference! I have some older 95 .243 ballistiv tips that coated/treated perfectly and the new 100 gr .257s I treated are still different than when I opened the box but it's just different. I'll post a side by side pic later.
If I can find some before and after so will I. I could not find any old Ballistic Tips that I had moly coated but I did find some Sierra bullets I moly coated a long time ago and I still had some new Nosler BT that didn't take the moly like they used to. I attempted to coat this batch of bullets with moly after cleaning them with different cleaning solutions each time and nothing made a difference it just did not stick to the bullet like it used to.
The picture doesn't do it justice but the BT is on the left, but you can see the difference compared to the one on the right that is an even coating. In person you can see the copper on the BT really well but it's not showing up great in the pic.

Attachments

• Moly Coated Bulets.jpg
    Moly Coated Bulets.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
It just seems to be the nature of hand loaders…analyze to death. hBN is not magic, the process for plating bullets varies but eventually everyone finds what works for them depending on how much they care to over think it. I've been down this road in countless threads. I've compared results with many riflemen. The likelihood of enjoying the small benefits it provides and sticking with it is directly proportional to how complicated the hand loader makes it.
I keep it pretty simple after experimenting with ALL the things I've heard and get very good results. Y'all do you, I'm not an authority and I both enjoy and value my time at the loading bench. My advice is to analyze your results and let that determine your process. Leave behind that which does not produce results.
And yes you can hBN mono's. Someone is bound to ask.

It just seems to be the nature of hand loaders…analyze to death. hBN is not magic, the process for plating bullets varies but eventually everyone finds what works for them depending on how much they care to over think it. I've been down this road in countless threads. I've compared results with many riflemen. The likelihood of enjoying the small benefits it provides and sticking with it is directly proportional to how complicated the hand loader makes it.
I keep it pretty simple after experimenting with ALL the things I've heard and get very good results. Y'all do you, I'm not an authority and I both enjoy and value my time at the loading bench. My advice is to analyze your results and let that determine your process. Leave behind that which does not produce results.
And yes you can hBN mono's. Someone is bound to ask.
I do hbn monos. What I still haven't got an answer abojt is hbn treating nickel plated bullets as in trophy bonded tips 🤣

I laugh but also I have asked this in a legit thread of the past

My honest reply is…try it!!! What have you got to lose? Place a few in with whatever you're otherwise coating and let us know how it goes. You may be on to something.

My honest reply is…try it!!! What have you got to lose? Place a few in with whatever you're otherwise coating and let us know how it goes. You may be on to something.
Loaded up the rest of my tbts tonite. When they're gone they're gone, haven't seen mor around in years.

I did treat this with hbn a while ago, no discernible change in appearance WHATSOEVER. Either way, ain't gonna hurt anything.

Also…aren't these just so darn pretty!?!?!?

Attachments

• E289675D-31C9-4834-938E-902CCC2AA1E6.jpeg
    E289675D-31C9-4834-938E-902CCC2AA1E6.jpeg
    961.6 KB · Views: 65
Here's the same BT only at a different angle and zoomed.

Attachments

• Moly bullet2.png
    Moly bullet2.png
    198.4 KB · Views: 46