HBN Bullet Coating

Also note that HBN is commonly used in "paint" on metal finishes like NP3. I have both PTG custom bolts, springs and firing pins coated with NP3 to prevent rust and add lubricity. These bolts will rust in the Pacific NW or SE Alaska where I hang out.

Thanks for your information.
What results are you getting with this coating apposed to not using? FPS, SD.
I knew a guy in the 1960s and used hog grease, The hog had to be rendered down to a Thich fat pasted to be used a candle or a firearm in firearm. Worked very weekend NASA picked opened top the Patten on ever though the competition did o belong to NASA then
a lot of people died because of it.
no mention of the inventors and why outproduced, but the us continued t can use that.
The product that was used on criminal cirimcvilicns - NO DIRREREENCF
WAS THIS TEST MADE TO SAVE THE LIVES OF PILOTS OR PEOPLE ON THE STREET
i AM AT POINT IN MY KIFE WHERE I JUST D=SAY HEY!!! DO WHAT TYOU WANT
oR SHOUKD I SAY LLOOK AT THE FACTS - YOU WILL ALL BE DEAD THE WAY YOUR=ARE GOIONG. DOES NOT TAKE A NECUKEAR BOMB. jUST TAKS A GROUP OF PEOPLE ON Portland, Frisco times square. PEOPLE DO NONT NEED BOMS ANYMORE THEY CAN DISRUPT WITH VOICE.
AND YES THERE WILL BE VIOLIENCE. ALREAD Y HAPPININIG
LOOK AT HAMAS IN OUR CUNTRY HOW MANUY SUSCUDE BOBBER IT WILL TAKE UNTIL WE GIVE THEM WHAR T THEY WANT. OUR bORDERS ARE OPN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THINK ABOUT THAT AND THEN THINK BACK TO 9/11. MOST PEOPLED DONT KNOE 9/11/ THENTHINK ABLOUT THE WITHDRAW IN AGAFAFTAN US troop withdrawal from Afghan NOVEMBER 17TH $80+ BILLION OF THE MOST SOFICATED WEPONS AND COMMUNICATIONS LEFT FOR THE TALABIN/
WHAT KIND OF PERSON(S) LET ALONE A PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES AND ABANDON NOT ONLY ALL THIS TOP SECRET EQUIPMRNT
BUT LEFT AMERICANS TO DIE THERE WAS NOR STRAIGHTY TO GET THEM OUT, THEN ALSO ALL THE 250,000.000AFGANS THAT WERE OUR INTURPERERTS --- BIDEN LEFT THEM AND THE AMERICANS TO BE SLAGUHTERED,
I AM REALLY P******ED BECAUSE MY FRIENDS WE LEFT TO DIE THERE AND THS BIDEN ANDIN DOES NOTHING. BIDER IN NOW SLEEPING IN HIS BEACH HOUSE-EVERY WEEKEND AND MID WEEK ON THE TAX PAYERS DIME,
AMERICA PLEASE WAKE UP;
i CANT SAY GOD BLESS US BECAUSE WE HAVE TO DO IT,
I have two and a half decades of shooting HBN coated bullets. Before that I shot "Molly" coated bullets. I believe that the "Combined Technology" Lubaloy coating may be best coating I have tried. My motto is "no naked bullets". So if you ask for comparison, I cannot help you. I shoot at the end of a club range that is about 540 yards, say 500 meters, and regularly shoot groups that are in the twos (0.2 MOA) from .224 caliber rifles. I shoot a variety of varmint calibers from .17 Fireball to .243 WSSM, all with HBN coated bullets. It is very often that the first coated bullet down a cold clean barrel (I shoot in the cold, often below freezing, today our high was 28 degrees) and it is "in the group" and doesn't hurt the SD. I have cleaned bullets only once or twice, I just dump the bullets, blems or top grade, in the shot, add a dose of HBN and tumble for a couple of hours. I used to give the bullets the wool sock treatment, coming out of the tumbler but rarely do now. The seating die will leave a ring or not depending on the neck tension, I also sort my cases by weight and not clean the inside of the neck between firings. I like to tumble in pins and then sort by weight but if I do not tumble, I do not mess up the weight sorted order. If I do tumble, mostly for other club members I try to keep shooting, I polish the inside of the necks with steel wool on an worn out bore brush in a corded electric drill that has speed. Below I moved one click right for the full 5 shot group. The circle is two inches.

Attachments

• 20 BR and 22 BR.jpg
    20 BR and 22 BR.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 26
I stumbled upon this thread after measuring the throat erosion on my 22 Creedmoor…after 254rds I'm showing .040" erosion. I don't know if that's "normal" or not but either way, I'm like wow that seems like alot.

This HBN coating of bullets sounds like a great idea for improving/maintaining great accuracy and low ES/SD #'s.

I'm definitely curious enough to give it a try and see how this and my other rifles perform. I have a brand new custom 6MM CM which I have yet to shoot, so maybe start that one off from day one with this. It looks like the others I'd have to clean to bare metal to do it right from what I've read here.

Please enlighten me a bit on getting started, I'd like to this right the first time if I can… Thank You In advance.
Your thread is a little brief with regard to why you want HBN coating.If you are target shooting for example and shooting 100 plus rounds at the range then it is maybe worthwhile but if you are hunting and using half a dozen rounds then it's not really worth it,I say that because the process takes up to 8 hours and it won't put your 40 thou back.As far as the erosion is concerned I would look at the velocities on a chrono and if they are high calm them down I know it well,I have a 6.5x284 it will shoot a 140gn bullet at 3300fps but if you do 1000 rounds is all you are going to get before the barrel is done, if you back it off to 2950/3000 you can still shot out to 1200yds accurately and extend your barrel life to 3000/4000 rounds.If you can give me a few more details about your shooting and you still want to coat your bullets come back to me and I will let your know what you need.

I have two and a half decades of shooting HBN coated bullets. Before that I shot "Molly" coated bullets. I believe that the "Combined Technology" Lubaloy coating may be best coating I have tried. My motto is "no naked bullets". So if you ask for comparison, I cannot help you. I shoot at the end of a club range that is about 540 yards, say 500 meters, and regularly shoot groups that are in the twos (0.2 MOA) from .224 caliber rifles. I shoot a variety of varmint calibers from .17 Fireball to .243 WSSM, all with HBN coated bullets. It is very often that the first coated bullet down a cold clean barrel (I shoot in the cold, often below freezing, today our high was 28 degrees) and it is "in the group" and doesn't hurt the SD. I have cleaned bullets only once or twice, I just dump the bullets, blems or top grade, in the shot, add a dose of HBN and tumble for a couple of hours. I used to give the bullets the wool sock treatment, coming out of the tumbler but rarely do now. The seating die will leave a ring or not depending on the neck tension, I also sort my cases by weight and not clean the inside of the neck between firings. I like to tumble in pins and then sort by weight but if I do not tumble, I do not mess up the weight sorted order. If I do tumble, mostly for other club members I try to keep shooting, I polish the inside of the necks with steel wool on an worn out bore brush in a corded electric drill that has speed. Below I moved one click right for the full 5 shot group. The circle is two inches.
BLUF: Pay attention to what 👆🏻this guy👆🏻 has to say.

It's not often I find someone whose 'experimentation' goes beyond my own. But ... yours definitely does. 🫡

Haven't tried this Lubaloy method. Is it as messy as Molly?

It takes me about 90 seconds to dump a box of bullets into the Nalgene bottle, dump in a scoop of HBN, thread on the lid, tape it so it doesn't come off and throw it in the vibratory tumbler. I set a kitchen timer for two hours, come back and dump the pellets and bullets across a screen, the pellets fall into a plastic tub and the bullets stay on the screen. The bullets go back in the box they came in and the pellets back in the Nalgene half liter bottle. Another 90 seconds. Where do you get ten hours? Again, for hunting, the first shot in a cold clean barrel goes where the next four do. Try that with your naked bullets. If you don't take my word for it, watch David Tubbs video. Another YouTube video from a shooting school, where the students fire their rifles a lot, says they find it extends barrel accuracy life. Norma tested barrels with Moly for barrel life and had dramatic photos from inside barrels, with and without. HBN isn't Moly but the differences are minor.

BLUF: Pay attention to what 👆🏻this guy👆🏻 has to say.

It's not often I find someone whose 'experimentation' goes beyond my own. But ... yours definitely does. 🫡

Haven't tried this Lubaloy method. Is it as messy as Molly?
Lubaloy is a manufacturer applied, proprietary secret formula. They aren't sharing. It is fabulous in the sage rat community. It reduces barrel temperature. Barrels last longer.

Yes! I forgot what video it was but that's one I used when I was getting started. Had to improvise a lot as I don't have half the things that guy (Jeff Broz) had in the vid, especially a rotary tumbler…but it's a great resource and should be considered required reading/viewing alongside the literature and instructions from David Tubb. Long Range Shooters of Utah also have a worthwhile read on their blog/site, more informal but good real world findings and reporting.

I've been using it ever since David tubb came out with his kit, I coat the bullets and coat the clean barrel with it, you will notice right off the difference when seating bullets it feels smooth and consistent, es is better, less cleaning, helps cold bore shots line up better with the rest of your warm barrel group , supposed to help with barrel life but I cannot attest to that, one note from my experience if you coat your barrel with it don't use max loads for the first three shots..you will have pressure issues