Have a little Problem

PennyB

Hi everyone longtime reader first time poster. I ended up with a little problem I asked for a 375 Ruger for Christmas I ended up 2. Both are the Hawkeye African model with the wood stock I am wondering if using one as a project rifle would be a good idea I am thinking a 375 Ruger based cat maybe 7mm or 30 cal just looking for some input good or bad don't matter tell me what you think.

While the Ruger wouldn't be my first choice for a custom rifle I see no reason you couldn't rebarrel it. I like both of your choices Since I have 2 rifles based on the 375 Ruger case, both of them 30 cal. Actually I am just building the second one. I have always thought that 7mmx375 Ruger made a lot of sence. I think either the 7mm or 30 would be a big hit.

James

I am working the kinks out of rechambering a 300 win mag into a 30/375 Ruger. The reamer can be rented from 4D
30_375_Ruger.jpg

The case capacity is 93.6 grs as compared to the 300 win mag at around 87 grs. Should still be able to shoot without a muzzle brake.

Now the 338/375 Ruger should also be interesting and be somewhere between the 338 win mag and the 338RUM but would be a recoil bad boy from the bench and personally I would need a brake.

To resize the case I got a 338RCM Full Length Die and a 300RCM neck sizer and I can get the brass neck down to 30 caliber

30/375 Ruger..................375 Ruger
DSCN1855.jpg

It makes a good looking case

300 win mag...................30/375 Ruger.........................375 Ruger
DSCN1856.jpg

Now in my case with a rechamber of an existing 30 caliber, I will only have to set the barrel back a couple of threads. But in your case with a total rebarrel you will only need to order a 30 caliber barrel from whichever barrel maker you want and have the chamber reamed to what you want.

James, what kind of performance are you getting with your 30 caliber?

Woods, Nice job necking them down, good info. What are the vertical lines inside the 375 neck in the second pic?

Just pulled some new cases out of the box and all the new cases have the lines

DSCN1991.jpg

must come from the manufacturing process. Funny how the camera can show up little details not always visible to the unaided eye.

PennyB,
Another thought is to sell one of them and use the money to buy a different factory rifle in a caliber you like. You could even spend an extra $500 and still be even money on building a wildcat on the Ruger. Food for thought.

I think the 375 Ruger case would make a great wildcat case for a 308 or 7mm. I've though a lot about myself.

As for the rifle, I second the idea of selling one of your rifles and getting another more suitable platform for a LR rifle. My first choice would be a Weatherby Vanguard or Howa (Howa makes the Vanguard action), sell the stock and barrel and replace with a B&C Medalist stock with full aluminum bedding block, or another quality stock (unles you get the Sub Moa Vanguard which comes with a good stock) and get a good custon barrel. That is what I plan to do for my next rifle.

Have fun with your project and welcome to LRH.

-Mark

Woods,
The one I currently have chambered is my 1000yd heavy gun, it has the shoulder pushed back quite a bit to get a .375" long neck, water capacity is 92.8gr. The 93.64gr for the cartridge drawing you show seems to me underestimated. I have not pushed the envelope on mine at all, my target velocity is below 2950 with 208 Amax bullets and it very easlily does that. According to Quickload I should be able to push the 208 and 210s to around 3200. I was surprised that Quickload nailed my starting loads so I would guess that it is close on the max loads. For 240 smk bullets QL shows over 2900 fps. The highest vel I have recorded with the 208s is 3020 with I think 80gr H1000.
The other reamer I have is closer to the one you posted. The gun I am chambering with that reamer will be a hunting rifle, whenever I get around to it. Both my reamers cut a .338 neck so necks have to be turned. My loaded rounds after turning measure .334. On the last lot of brass I got that is just where they clean up. The first brass I had wouldn't have needed turning if not for the chamber neck, they were very consistent.

James

Woods, thanks for responding. You mentioned lines so I'm assuming as in stained or something but not scatches-and that's good...no scratches.

James, thanks for that info. The chamber I am having reamed has a .341" neck so the reamer won't change that and I won't have to do anything but clean the necks up. The gun is a Beretta Mato 300 win mag so the barrel is a Lothar Walthar and worth salvaging.

What dies are you using?

When I ordered the chamber reamer I also ordered a resize reamer to make my own dies. For resizing a made a bushing die so I could control neck tension. Dimensions are close enough that I should be able to use the same dies for both ctgs I just won't get as far down on the base with the longer ctg. For the seating die I made a bushing for my 30-378 RCBS Gold medal die. A 300 RCM seating die would work out of the box also.
For my form dies I push the shoulder back with a die that leaves the neck around .373 ID then I turn the brass then neck down to .335 ID then run them through the 30x375 bushing die and turn necks again. Fireform then anneal.

Another fellow who posts on this forum was using a FL 375 Ruger die to body size and a 338 RCM FL die for neck and shoulder bump on his 338x375 Ruger, last I knew it was working.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.