Have a chance at a 40X Remmy

Meister

Brand new in package for about 1500. The test target is (2) 5 shot groups at .55 c-c, shot with 168 factory stuff. Wholesaler had an extra one lying around, my dealer bought it at cost. Is this a rifle I should consider. For 1500 I can have a nice custom setup. I'm a little torn because of the exclusivity of the rifle.

40XB Rangemaster

Although the Rem. 40X rifles have been pretty good in calibers smaller than 28, in my opinion and observations the larger ones haven't. I've watched several people who bought them in all sorts of chamberings shoot them in 600 and 1000 yard matches. None of them shot very well. And when epoxy bedded the round receivers twisted loose after a few hundred rounds of bullets heavier than about 160 grains; after rebedding they shot normally for another few hundred shots. I've shot two of them, both practically brand new; one in .308 Win. and the other in .30-.338 Win. Mag. Neither would stay inside 7 inches at 600 yards nor 15 inches at 1000 yards. Both rifle's short-range test targets were around one-half MOA, but then no rifle shoots the same MOA all the way down range anyway.

Remington offered to build some 40X competition rifles for a couple of the USA international teams. The team captain and coach turned them down.

For that much money, one could rebarrel, rebed and restock an existing rifle that would shoot much better than a new 40X. That aside, there are folks who like the 40X anyway. Especially those in 22 and 24 caliber which are darned accurate factory rifles.

Just my tho'ts, don't want to rain on your parade but....

I've had several of them in the light benchrest model in 222 w/2oz triggers many moons ago. They done good!

Had rangemaster models in 243 and other cals and they weren't for squat.

I had a recommended riflesmith rebarrel a surplus Mauser 98 two years ago a 27" Lilja bbl. I originally built the rifle in 1966. He trued the action and bolt face and lapped the lugs and beaded and blued the barrel for next to not much and turnaround time was short. It will out shoot any 40X I've ever owned and its a 270Win.

I thing your money would be well spent on a custom. If you have an action you'll save money. If you don't have an action I think a new rem 700 can be had for $350 or there abouts.

I appreciate your input on this. Looks like I'll be doin something other than the 40x thing. Thanks guys.

I own one in 222 Remington Magnum and it's the most accurate rifle in my arsenal. My rifle is 18 year old and still grouping will. I have no problem hitting target as small as squirrel beyond 500 yards using 40 grain V-Max. Here's a typical 5 shot group.
IMGP0505.jpg

I read once were a guy bought one and it had a mechanical problem -once the bolt was closed it could not be reopened.The gun still had a factory shot group w/it ,which was obviously shot by another gun.Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.