Second Chance Moose

HammerBullets

9B5D8A08-8F92-4C78-80ED-22903EB174BB.jpeg

Joe shot this Alberta Bull Moose with the 143 gr Hammer Hunter from his 7 PRC going 3405 fps.
He saw this Moose on opening day at 475 yards but was looking for a bigger bull with nicer pans.
They did not see another Moose for 3 days and the
weather was warming up.
Here is the rest of Joe's report, "Lucked upon him today and put him down with 3 shots at 260 yards. Was probably dead on the first double lunger but I keep shooting when they are so close to the timber. Fourth animal shot this year with the 143. Great bullet!! Thank you, Hammer for another full freezer this year."
Congratulations to you and your family. Thank you for sharing all your hunts!

Congratulations! Nice bull.
It's amazing how much lead (or copper) a moose can take and still stand there while you wait for it to keel over. I shot my last bull with a 402gr Hammer and he barely flinched. He dropped after a second hit which wasn't needed. Both bullets flew out the off-side.

Congratulations! Nice bull.
It's amazing how much lead (or copper) a moose can take and still stand there while you wait for it to keel over. I shot my last bull with a 402gr Hammer and he barely flinched. He dropped after a second hit which wasn't needed. Both bullets flew out the off-side.

Not just a moose! 😉

One of the reasons that I'm very skeptical about ft/lbs. energy being a reliable measure of a bullet's killing potential……. is because of something that happened to me!

Quite a few years ago, I shot a small "rag horn" bull elk at about 35 or so yards. The bull was broadside, the bullet entered just behind the shoulder and exited on the offside! This little bull was hit (at that distance) with just under 5000 ft./lbs of energy…..yet showed no sign of being hit. The bull continued to walk, perhaps he picked up his pace just a little, continued about 8 or 10 yards as I was reloading, turned straight away ….took a step or two and "tipped over"!

If ft/lbs is one of the true measures of a bullet's ability to do work, as in kill, this little bull at the very least….. should have been moved over a bit! I didn't even see a perceptible flinch! memtb

Last edited:
When I was young and reckless, I use to shoot fat PA groundhogs with my 460Wby. They ALWAYS reacted immediately to the 500gr of splashing lead!

Don't mean to derail the thread. CONGRATULATIONS again Joe!!