Has the 30-06 died along with the .308 ???

i guess you would have to define dead. i like 257 Roberts but only ruger and kimber make factory rifles there are custom manufactures that do chamber it but if were talking that a cartridge is dead than the 257 Rob has one foot in the grave. the 30-06 or 308 will never die they are cemented in american culture be it target shooting or hunting I have 2 30-06's a rem 742 and a Springfield armory m1 garand along with 3 308 rifle and Im tempted to add another 30-06 to the collection. I do think its a little premature considering the 6.5 creedmoor only came out in 2007 granted things aren't like they used to be where you bought one rifle and that was most likely your only big game rifle now a day's you can pick rifles like golf clubs. you don't need one round that can do it all

I knew an old guy that hung out at the gun store he was a funny bastard. said one time...If you dont have a 30-06 you must be a communist :)
in a 06 with a 26" barrel you can spark a 212 gr hornady ELD-X bullet with a BC of .663 over 2700 fps. there is no hunting situation that could not be resolved with that combo. also you can get excellent results target shooting.
I think I knew that old guy. :) Where I grew up in Oregon - in the 50's - the venerable Ought Six was second only to the less expensive 30-30, and some people also shot the .257 Roberts, 300 Savage - and a couple of others - but wasn't anything on the North American Continent that the 30.06 could not handle - although v. a Big Griz/Brown Bear - a .338 was better.

To add a little to the story - as I have noted before - bought a beauty 300 Win Mag - used - pristine condition - in a Weatherby Mark 5 - while kicking around gun stores when visiting my hometown of Klamath Falls Oregon (Stainless barrel as well- $750 - and a Leupold base)) - and just bought a 6.5 Creedmoor - in a Tikka 3X Lite - on sale for around $560 - including a pair of scope rings) ) - neither of which I really need as I already had m trusty old 30.06, but hey - as I told my wife who said - What - why do you need more guns? (have a few pistols too).
Dear - they were just too good of deals to pass up. :)

Say what you will about the 30-06. I have a OTC Browning Hunter A-Bolt 30-06 that shoots sub MOA off of sandbags (inside the diameter of a dime) @200YDS (See pic below) with my handloads of IMR 4350 and Sierra Game King165g bullets. I've taken elk, mule deer, whitetail deer and antelope several times around the 300 yard range. It's very light and kicks like a mule on the bench, but off of sticks or a backpack when shooting game, I don't even remember the recoil. I may just be lucky to have such an accurate rifle. Love my 30-06! 3 shot group.JPG

To add a little to the story - as I have noted before - bought a beauty 300 Win Mag - used - pristine condition - in a Weatherby Mark 5 - while kicking around gun stores when visiting my hometown of Klamath Falls Oregon (Stainless barrel as well- $750 - and a Leupold base)) - and just bought a 6.5 Creedmoor - in a Tikka 3X Lite - on sale for around $560 - including a pair of scope rings) ) - neither of which I really need as I already had m trusty old 30.06, but hey - as I told my wife who said - What - why do you need more guns? (have a few pistols too).
Dear - they were just too good of deals to pass up. :)
What the wifey is really saying: "If you will cheat on that '06 old girl, will you cheat on me too????" Be true to both those old girls. :) :) :)

Say what you will about the 30-06. I have a OTC Browning Hunter A-Bolt 30-06 that shoots sub MOA off of sandbags (inside the diameter of a dime) @200YDS (See pic below) with my handloads of IMR 4350 and Sierra Game King165g bullets. I've taken elk, mule deer, whitetail deer and antelope several times around the 300 yard range. It's very light and kicks like a mule on the bench, but off of sticks or a backpack when shooting game, I don't even remember the recoil. I may just be lucky to have such an accurate rifle. Love my 30-06! View attachment 200531
SWEET

Say what you will about the 30-06. I have a OTC Browning Hunter A-Bolt 30-06 that shoots sub MOA off of sandbags (inside the diameter of a dime) @200YDS (See pic below) with my handloads of IMR 4350 and Sierra Game King165g bullets. I've taken elk, mule deer, whitetail deer and antelope several times around the 300 yard range. It's very light and kicks like a mule on the bench, but off of sticks or a backpack when shooting game, I don't even remember the recoil. I may just be lucky to have such an accurate rifle. Love my 30-06! View attachment 200531
Sorry that '06 can't hold a group and opens up with that flyer....... :) :) :) REALLY nice group!!! That's a keeper.

I think that the 30-06 is about the biggest cartridge the "average" shooter can handle in an off-the-shelf rifle of standard weight, and it will handily knock down anything he's likely to shoot with it on this continent. The long history as a military round ( just like the 308 ) is another thing it has going for it, and the availability of military surplus ammo used to be a big selling point. The guy who only shoots two boxes of cartridges per year can afford to feed it and still have enough cash for a case of beer to take to camp that weekend. There's a ton of casual shooters/hunters out there, and it works well - even with ordinary bullets.

I grew up in the era of the one-rifle hunter, and darn near everybody was shooting 30-caliber in those days. The story was that if you ever go west to hunt elk, or north for moose, the '06 is big enough - and it will certainly kill our skinny little whitetails handily enough. I think that everybody understood that it was way more horsepower than needed for deer, but there was always that "all-around rifle" concept being discussed around the hunting camp card table. I don't know anybody who didn't dream of hunting bigger animals in some far-away place some day, and this is what I think fueled the popularity of these cartridges. Having Grampa's 30-06 handed down to Junior didn't hurt its popularity any, either.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.