Has anyone managed a 1000 yard shot with a Mosin?

Dave Davies

Has anyone managed a 1000 yard shot with a Mosin? I just picked one up and the guy at the gun store said it might be possible so I'm asking.

In stock form, I can't see it being too accurate as cheaply as those rifles were made, but I guess anything is possible...

Did the gentleman at the store suggest what the group size might be at that range? Can you lob a bullet a thousand yards with the Mosin? Sure can. I would want a very generous sized target waiting out there. Accounts from WW2 Eastern Front suggest the old warhorse in its sniper configuration was basically a 2 to 3 minute rig, and most recorded shots by Sov snipers were within 400 meters. They used a 3.5 power optic which wasn't know for its clarity either. For a thousand yards, I would want the target to be about 6x6 feet, and a modern scope, to have any chance at connecting. The basic round should have ballistics just a bit shy of factory 30-06 with the same bullet shape.

The cartridge itself is as inherently accurate as our 308, but you've got a loosely built rifle with a poor trigger and rudimentary sights. loose the trigger for a better one and get her scoped and you may have a chance at longer range.

Did the gentleman at the store suggest what the group size might be at that range? Can you lob a bullet a thousand yards with the Mosin? Sure can. I would want a very generous sized target waiting out there. Accounts from WW2 Eastern Front suggest the old warhorse in its sniper configuration was basically a 2 to 3 minute rig, and most recorded shots by Sov snipers were within 400 meters. They used a 3.5 power optic which wasn't know for its clarity either. For a thousand yards, I would want the target to be about 6x6 feet, and a modern scope, to have any chance at connecting. The basic round should have ballistics just a bit shy of factory 30-06 with the same bullet shape.

No suggestion of group size nor any accuracy ballistics,just an opinion but he seems to know what he's talking about with other weapons.

The cartridge itself is as inherently accurate as our 308, but you've got a loosely built rifle with a poor trigger and rudimentary sights. loose the trigger for a better one and get her scoped and you may have a chance at longer range.

Why the trigger vs. lets say the stock or the bolt? Just asking as I do not know.

The Mosin when configured right can be very accurate. I know several people who have shot steel out to 1000 with them and have one friend who shoots silhouette man targets out to 1300 with his Mosin.

A guy on YouTube shoots his to 1000 with iron sites. "Grizzman". Check him out.

I personally have not shot mine at 1000 yet but I shoot 12" steel targets at 750-800 quite often. My best group so far was 4 shot measuring 1-7/8" at 750. I plan to do 1000 before long. Things just keep getting in the way.

My 1942 Izhevesk. 91/30

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 82
It all depends on the condition of the rifle and how accurately you can handload for it. Of course that describes any rifle. I have fooled around with a number of models of the M/Ns and have some that really shoot. I have never scoped one but with open sights have gotten some to shoot under 3/4" at 100 yards. Furthest I have shot with a M/N was with a Finn mod. 39 B barrel at 900 yards. Was shooting at a huge rock with a three foot wide circle painted on it. I was shooting a load of 50 grs AA4350 with Prvi cases, CCI 200 primer and .311 diameter 174 gr Sierra Match Kings OAL 3.000. Once I got my Kentucky windage hold down with proper elevation set on the sights from prone in a sling I could keep my shots inside that painted circle. Put it this way I would not want somebody shooting at me with this combo at that distance. It could be very hazardous to one's health. :D Do a search in this site for your question. There were some people that have made up some long range shooters from M/Ns that posted on here.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.