One shot 1000 yards ballistic chart

Depends on your killzone.
For groundhogs, actual hunting, nothing suggested so far is close enough to 1kyd.

For this kind of precision you'll need to obtain and practice with electronics in the field (both measure and solution). I used to do this, but eventually figured out that HUNTING is more fun, and hunting includes stalking. I set a limit of 600yds and have lived happily with a simple click card & laser binocs.

Depends on your killzone.
For groundhogs, actual hunting, nothing suggested so far is close enough to 1kyd.

For this kind of precision you'll need to obtain and practice with electronics in the field (both measure and solution).s.

I agree that electronics are needed out to 1000 yards with the measurement part of your statement. Not with the solution part of it given you have accurately established the drops, etc beforehand.IMO

I agree that electronics are needed out to 1000 yards with the measurement part of your statement. Not with the solution part of it given you have accurately established the drops, etc beforehand.IMO

I don't have any LR hunting mentors so I've used hunting shows to get a feel for what is needed at 1000 yards and they all seem to use real time electronic firing solutions most of which are plugged in by a spotter. I plan to shot enough ammo to verify all charts and wind conditions prior to hunting at any range. Looks like I'll look into getting a wind meter and practicing with that.

I've tried making my own tape on turret indicators and they are fine for a narrow band of altitude but in a weekend, I can go from 3000' to 8000' feet and it's become annoying to take them on and off. That is why I was interested in making a chart or looking into a real time shooting solution.

I like the color code idea for levels of confidence and I'll have to play with the numbers to check out.

Just one more question to you who have extensive charts. Out to what distance can you comfortably shoot a one shot cold bore hit with them? Assuming 12" target and low wind.

I don't have any LR hunting mentors so I've used hunting shows to get a feel for what is needed at 1000 yards and they all seem to use real time electronic firing solutions most of which are plugged in by a spotter. Just one more question to you who have extensive charts. Out to what distance can you comfortably shoot a one shot cold bore hit with them? Assuming 12" target and low wind.

I think that once you have determined the range, temperature, angle, ect, the solution, whether by chart or electronic device should be identical given the data in your charts were developed using the same algorithms. It then depends on whether you have a chart that matches the your conditions. The difference and advantage of the electronic firing solution is the convienience of not having a multitude of charts and the time needed to sort through them. I currently use a G7 Rangefinder that ranges, measures temperature density, and angle, and provides a firing solution in seconds. The only difference between the two approaches is the ease of use and time. I am confortable shooting into a cold bore 10" vital zone on a game animal out to 1000 yards with either charts or my G7 given a solid wind dope and shooting position. Being mostly a whitetail hunter, time is a critical success factor...this is where the G7 shines.

Like I said, Depends on your killzone.
For groundhogs at distance, the saying aim small miss small means more than just aiming, and more than the gun's capability. It also means local precision in ballistic solutions.

I'm talking about single cold bore hits now. No walking shots into metal type horsing around.
On this you need air density measure, laser ranging, vertical/horiz corriolis, spin drift, slope angle, actual scope adjustment values per click(in IPHY), Plumb elevation adjustments.
Then add the gun's cold bore accuracy capability

Just one more question to you who have extensive charts. Out to what distance can you comfortably shoot a one shot cold bore hit with them? Assuming 12" target and low wind.

A big game range card with sufficient information can produce elevation and windage corrections within ¼ MOA of computer results.

Comfortably hitting a 12" target cold bore based on conditions and range can be estimated by practice or the use of an uncertainty analysis program such as Applied Ballistics Analytics.

"low wind" can have different meaning. For example, the wind may be calm "no wind" at the shooters position with a tendency to gust to 3mph full value. If the shooter breaks a shot assuming the wind is calm and a 3mph full value wind hits the shooters position right at the break of the shot continuing the entire time of flight, for discussion this is no different than a correctly applied 60MPH full value wind with the shooter breaking the shot with the wind blowing 63MPH the entire length of path. 0 to 3 or 60 to 63 they both produced and error of 3 mph which can produce severely unwanted POI to POA difference at longer range. What we want is "low wind" uncertainty as close to zero as possible. In other words, we want to correctly apply a wind value direction and intensity and break the shot at or very near the estimated values.

Back to a long answer to the question. About 700 yards plus or minus a few hundred depending on wind uncertainty, precision potential, and confidence to name just a few variables. We are all human. One can only estimate wind values to a certain degree otherwise long range competitors would be shooting perfect scores all the time! The maximum effective range hunter will ensure estimated uncertainties still leave room for the bullet to strike vitals.

Consider purchasing Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting in the absence of a mentor.

On this you need air density measure, laser ranging, vertical/horiz corriolis, spin drift, slope angle, actual scope adjustment values per click(in IPHY), Plumb elevation adjustments.
Then add the gun's cold bore accuracy capability

oh and wind!:)
I'm going to check actual scope adjustment and verify plumb elevation adjustments tomorrow.

Also what temperature range do you include in your charts. 10 degree increments? I don't use extreme powers as of yet, due to lack of availability, and have an 80 fps velocity spread between 20 degrees and 80 degrees that will have to be included in the chart.

Thanks for giving me some really good information on the practicality of 1 shot long range hits. Time for some field work!gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.