Has 300WSM become a reloader's cartridge?

brcfo_outdoors

As someone who does not reload, it seems like 300WSM factory loads have gone from a gun store staple to unobtanium. I like the cartridge and it is frequently recommended on here, but I see the market leaving it behind faster than I had anticipated. No new rifles chambered in it, and the ammo that I see is limited run/seasonal even from the bigger manufacturers. I usually buy Proof barrels and they stopped offering pre-fits in this caliber. While I know it was never as popular as 300WM, its seems as though the full sized cartridge has endured COVID/ammo shortages/the PRC era a lot better despite having essentially a direct replacement in the 300PRC. Is anyone else seeing this? Has 300WSM seen its last days as a main stream cartridge that is slowly slipping into the realm of reloaders only?

During Covid, in Texas, 300wsm was always on the shelf but you are correct the new "hot" marketing cartridges are the PRC's so that is what is being backed by the big companies and that is now what is selling. They have to follow the dollar.

At this point Hornady appears to be driving the train and Winchester hasn't done much to help its case except the 270Westerner(what a flop).

As a 300wsm fan, I hope and know there will be ammo available but to what degree is not clear?
James

I'm afraid so. The trend towards long high bc bullets does not work well in a short action. It's a shame because it's a nice round.

During Covid, in Texas, 300wsm was always on the shelf but you are correct the new "hot" marketing cartridges are the PRC's so that is what is being backed by the big companies and that is now what is selling. They have to follow the dollar.

At this point Hornady appears to be driving the train and Winchester hasn't done much to help its case except the 270Westerner(what a flop).

As a 300wsm fan, I hope and know there will be ammo available but to what degree is not clear?
James

Hornady gets a lot of flack on here, but they innovate cartridges and then support them with loaded ammunition and components. I feel like that is where a lot of other companies fall flat, they perhaps have a good idea but don't go all the way with marketing etc. Its just all the other cartridges that Hornady does not commit to, which I do understand from a sales perspective. Again, as someone who doesn't reload and has a lead free requirement in California, Hornady has pretty much been my go to because they are more affordable and more available than Barnes equivalents. When they reintroduced the Outfitter line with CX bullets (around 3/2022) I bought quite a few boxes of 300WSM to get started, expecting it to be readily available and just haven't seen it online since. Now that stock is getting low and I am debating holding out or just re-barreling that action. I usually buy hunting ammo from Roger's and they don't even have a category for 300WSM on their website anymore.

I'm afraid so. The trend towards long high bc bullets does not work well in a short action. It's a shame because it's a nice round.

Agreed, I was hoping the expansion of medium actions would offer some kind of a renaissance for these short magnums but it doesn't seem to have been enough.

Hornady gets a lot of flack on here, but they innovate cartridges and then support them with loaded ammunition and components. I feel like that is where a lot of other companies fall flat, they perhaps have a good idea but don't go all the way with marketing etc. Its just all the other cartridges that Hornady does not commit to, which I do understand from a sales perspective. Again, as someone who doesn't reload and has a lead free requirement in California, Hornady has pretty much been my go to because they are more affordable and more available than Barnes equivalents. When they reintroduced the Outfitter line with CX bullets (around 3/2022) I bought quite a few boxes of 300WSM to get started, expecting it to be readily available and just haven't seen it online since. Now that stock is getting low and I am debating holding out or just re-barreling that action. I usually buy hunting ammo from Roger's and they don't even have a category for 300WSM on their website anymore.

Agreed, I was hoping the expansion of medium actions would offer some kind of a renaissance for these short magnums but it doesn't seem to have been enough.
I wish Hornady would make 300wsm "match" ammo with the 208eldM !

If I didn't reload but I really liked the rifle, I'd keep it to lower volume shooting. Maybe a couple boxes of shells a year. Maybe one of those guns that a box of shells lasts a few years. Midwayusa.com lists 35 results for 300 WSM ammo. Only two available (in-stock) at the moment. Bulk of ammo with prices ranging from $3.00 to $5.00 a round. All loaded ammo is pretty expensive these days.

I'd even consider getting some custom loaded ammo here vs. buying off the shelf stuff:

I should add that from 2019 until yesterday Californians couldn't order ammo online and have it shipped to their door, it would have to to through an FFL. Most online stores didn't want to even mess with that so it was a struggle to find reliable places that would actually sell you ammo even if you did provide your FFL for the transfer.

If I didn't reload but I really liked the rifle, I'd keep it to lower volume shooting. Maybe a couple boxes of shells a year. Maybe one of those guns that a box of shells lasts a few years. Midwayusa.com lists 35 results for 300 WSM ammo. Only two available (in-stock) at the moment. Bulk of ammo with prices ranging from $3.00 to $5.00 a round. All loaded ammo is pretty expensive these days.

I'd even consider getting some custom loaded ammo here vs. buying off the shelf stuff:
I do like the rifle, but its a TL3 action so it has worn a couple different cartridges since I bought it. I don't do much big game hunting so there is no pressing urgency, but I like to tinker so whether I turn it into another project or hold out definitely occupies my mind. I like the magnum power in the short action if I have to carry the rifle which is why I chose the 300WSM in the first place. Seems like all the next best options are LA unless I swap the bolt head and turn it into something else entirely.

That is part of what I have seen with the cartridge once being popular and then no longer being produced. Sites have a bunch of options that they simply haven't removed and/or are never coming back. The real available options are then few and far between. I haven't looked at custom reloading, it looks to be about 4x as expensive as even the pricier hunting loads which is tough to swallow.

Scheels has 300 WSM Hornady 200gr ELDX in stock.
At least as far as hunting ammo goes I am stuck needing lead free.

I should add that from 2019 until yesterday Californians couldn't order ammo online and have it shipped to their door, it would have to to through an FFL. Most online stores didn't want to even mess with that so it was a struggle to find reliable places that would actually sell you ammo even if you did provide your FFL for the transfer.

I do like the rifle, but its a TL3 action so it has worn a couple different cartridges since I bought it. I don't do much big game hunting so there is no pressing urgency, but I like to tinker so whether I turn it into another project or hold out definitely occupies my mind. I like the magnum power in the short action if I have to carry the rifle which is why I chose the 300WSM in the first place. Seems like all the next best options are LA unless I swap the bolt head and turn it into something else entirely.

That is part of what I have seen with the cartridge once being popular and then no longer being produced. Sites have a bunch of options that they simply haven't removed and/or are never coming back. The real available options are then few and far between. I haven't looked at custom reloading, it looks to be about 4x as expensive as even the pricier hunting loads which is tough to swallow.

At least as far as hunting ammo goes I am stuck needing lead free.
One thing to note in the link I provided for custom reloading is it's for 50 count. It's actually cheaper than a lot of the factory 20 round boxes of ammo, not 4x. :)

Still painful, no doubt.

One thing to note in the link I provided for custom reloading is it's for 50 count. It's actually cheaper than a lot of the factory 20 round boxes of ammo, not 4x. :)

Still painful, no doubt.

Ah, you are right, my tired mind was thinking 50 round vs 20 round boxes for typical factory offering.

There are still many factory rounds being made for 300wsm. They are just not stocked by all gun shops and stores. Everything is seasonal now. When they are available you should buy your years' worth. Because they will not stay on shelf all year, in today's hording environment typically. Heck I can still find 300 and 250 sav ammo, but not all year.