Can a stevens 200 become a savage

blancoman

I have an opportunity to purchase a Stevens 200 in 308 for 200 dollars. Since I own 4 308's currently, I am not interested in another in that caliber. So the question is can I go to Midway or Savage-Barrels.com and purchase a drop in Savage barrel in 260 rem and drop it into the Stevens stock? The way I figure it that would amount to about 400 in a new rifle. If this would work, are there any suggestions about the length, contour and twist I should order for the barrel.? Application is 90lb whitetails in Texas Hill country at 500 yds. Thanks for the help.

I have an opportunity to purchase a Stevens 200 in 308 for 200 dollars. Since I own 4 308's currently, I am not interested in another in that caliber. So the question is can I go to Midway or Savage-Barrels.com and purchase a drop in Savage barrel in 260 rem and drop it into the Stevens stock? The way I figure it that would amount to about 400 in a new rifle. If this would work, are there any suggestions about the length, contour and twist I should order for the barrel.? Application is 90lb whitetails in Texas Hill country at 500 yds. Thanks for the help.

The only difference between the two is the Stevens has a very cheap "Mattel" looking stock and no trigger option so the answer is yes, you could make the switch. The question is whether it is worth the effort? If you can do your own work with some SERIOUS bedding and are willing to either live with the trigger or pay for an uprade as well as install your own barrel, then maybe that would work for you. On the other hand, you could buy a lower end savage with an accutrigger all set up in a .260 and be ready to go shooting for probably less money. If you go with the Stevens, I would probably opt for a 26" #4 contour with a 9 twist to stabilize the 140 grain bullets. If you want to shoot only 120 grain or less then a 10 twist would be fine. Good luck with your choice......Rich

Last edited:
You could do it like this.
Used gun 200.
26" douglas 8 twist varmint contour in 243 or 260- 325.
Rifle basix trigger 95.
Bell and Carlson medalist A2 225.

This all equals a pretty **** nice rifle for 845.00
You could add a SSS recoil lug, tactical bolt knob, wolff firing pin spring, and a decent 1 piece base and still have less than a grand in it and shoot just as good as these 25-3500 dollar customs.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.