Stevens 200

Bigswedegml

I bought a Stevens Model 200 in .25-06. What I am wondering is if it is worth it to build off of that platform....or just keep it stock and save up to build something better. I would prefer just to build this gun up because of the money. It would be my first rifle build and I don't want to get too crazy with spending on the first one. I found out that Shilen makes replacement barrels for Savage that should work. The main thing I have had trouble finding is a stock that would fit.

Basically I would like your guys' opinion if I should even bother building it up or not. I am looking for turning it into a consistent MOA rifle. It would be great if I could get it to 3/4MOA.

go ahead

Go with it. I just finished a 25-06AI off a savage 110 with a shilen barrel. It will shoot under a .2. Stevens have the same action as the savage. I would replace the stock and trigger and screw on a barrel from shilen. You will not be sorry for doing it.gun)

As is that rifle may shoot as accurately as you are looking for. For a DIY kind of guy I think they are great and inexpensive to build on. Sharpshooter Supply, Stockade and Joel Russo all make stocks for Savages. I've got a 260 and a 223 with factory barrels that will shoot <MOA. I've also got a 338/300RUM from Shilen and a 6BR from McGowen that will shoot half that or better.

This is assuming you handload, but I do have a '06 barrel that shoots just over MOA with factory ammo. If you don't handload you need to start anyway if you really want accuracy.

Yes I do reload. I have a long ways to go before I am really good at it, but I have reloaded for my .223 and got that to shoot under 1/2MOA. I really want to turn my .25-06 into a tack driver also. I like the Shilen barrels, and I found a good trigger. My only issue is finding a stock for it.

Provided you are right handed you should have no problem finding stocks. Some (Choate) can be a little flimsy, but if you are willing to spend a few hundred and get one from Russo, it will be very good.

Get a Shilen or McGowen from Northlander. Better price than from him than the makers directly.

I think the best stocks for the money are Stockade stocks. My next choice would be a Russo.

I Recently purchased two stevens 200's
one in 25-06 that shot approx 3/4 in groups right out of the box.
I alsom purchased a 300 win mag for a Donor action for a custom build but i have some concerns
My Plan was to use this action for a .338 lapua build, i was told by Savage that the Magnum rifles used the 1.125 dia larger thread which is why i order the .300 win mag, to my dismay after i removed barrel it has the smaller/std threads 1.05 My quistion is can the lapua be built safely with the smaller threads? I checked saami specs for the .300 win and they are 640000 max and the Lapua is 610000 so i am thinking i would be ok but wanted some opinions begfore making up my mind

thanks
Matt

The Stevens 200 action is the most economical platform to base a build on that I've found. I love the look of a matte finish action with a stainless barrel. I've done 5 of them now and all of them will shoot under 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. Two of them shoot at or under .25. The latest is a 6mm Ackley chambered with a custom reamer from PTG, a 1 in 10 twist McGowen barrel they chambered the barrel and did a great job) that I ordered through Northlander, shooting 75 grain Vmax's into .3 at 3,750 fps. The fireforming loads shoot 1/2 inch with 75's.

I tried a new approach on this one, I purchased a Savage 3-screw trigger from Sharpshooter, replaced the tension wire with a smaller diameter (there is a guy on Savageshooter.com that gives the wire for free) and adjusted it to 2.5 pound trigger with no creep and is very safe. On stocks, the advise above is spot-on..........I use Duramaxx stocks on the staggered feed actions, and this is hard to believe but the Ackley is in a factory Savage stock with the barrel channel opened up to fit the heavy sporter barrel contour. Stockade is building me a hunting sporter stock but their wait time is now at 16 weeks and I couldn't wait so I got started with the Savage factory stock.

Good luck on your build.

Yes I do reload. I have a long ways to go before I am really good at it, but I have reloaded for my .223 and got that to shoot under 1/2MOA. I really want to turn my .25-06 into a tack driver also. I like the Shilen barrels, and I found a good trigger. My only issue is finding a stock for it.
I have only been reloading for 4 months and can get .375 consistenly out of my 204 so that just goes to prove that you can still make good loads without tons of experance!

Here is the best pricing I have found on the Shilen Barrels.

This page was last updated on

You can even make up a dummy round with your bullet of choice set to the magazines max length and they will throat it to those dimensions.

Last edited:
Here is the best pricing I have found on the Shilen Barrels.

This page was last updated on

You can even make up a dummy round with your bullet of choice set to the magazines max length and they will throat it to those dimensions.

Jim Briggs sells for the same price. He is a member here, as well as a very active member on Savageshooters.com

Send him a pm, or find him on the other site.

Not a lot of stock choices at the moment for a centerfeed action, which I assume your Stevens is. B&C has a stock available for the centerfeed and a heavy barrel configuartion. I spoke with them at the Shot Show and was told they will have a sporter stock set up soon (if not already.

I built a 7mm/08 using a factory 22" tube, unfinished walnut stock I got from Brownells that I glass bedded and floated the barrel. I mounted a Mueller 4.5X14X40AO APV scope in Weaver 4X4 rings on an EGW one piece base.

Best load to date is RP brass fully prepped, CCI BR-2 primers, 42.5 grains of Varget pushing a Nosler 120 grain Ballistic Tip seated .012" off the lands. My average velocity over the chronograph was 2957 fps with an ES of 22. Five shot groups averaged .632" at 100 yards.

I've also built a 6mm Norma BR on a Stevens 200 SA centerfeed action, EABCO 26" Varmint weight barrel, Savage BVSS laminate stock and a Mueller 8.5X25X44 scope in Burris Zee rings and a one piece EGW base. This one will be a single shot...........just waiting for the single shot follower to come in from Sharp Shooter Supply and I can hit the range and test loads I have made up with Sierra 95 and 107 grain match bullets in Lapua brass.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.